Quantcast

New box constant crashing

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Wolvee, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

I just got a new GS8 and the thing is constantly crashing apps. Amazon & Netflix mostly but even going through the android menu is "wonky". Besides the constant freezing and forced quits, sometimes I'll press the directional to scroll through a menu and it goes haywire going 20 or 30 selections past the last time I hit the button.

its done it since day 1.

any ideas?

thanks
    W.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

3. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

Yes I have.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

There may be something you're running that's corrupting the system, but if you can boot it up, go to Netflix or Amazon and it crashes then it's defective. The device can run somewhat hot, and you don't want to put it somewhere it's going to bake, but shouldn't be exceptionally heat sensitive (unlike the CoStar).

In general, make sure you've got all the firmware updates, the batteries in your remote are charged, and your holding it level.

5. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

I did the factory wipe and unpairing again and this time it seemed to work a little better. The selecting is still going a bit haywire at times but I haven't had to force quit anything since the reset.

thats good news I guess. I'm a little perturbed that something so much more expensive works worse than the slow arse Rokus.

i noticed similar issues with my Logitech revue but it works it's problems out fairly quick after a few updates.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be running that bad, unless something is interfering with the unit or you're running an unstable App. The unit doesn't have a lot of memory, and while it's supposed to manage it, I do back out of Apps when I'm done using them to try to help it to free up some memory. Other people run RAM Saver programs.

But the symptom of this is that the unit is a lot more stable after a reboot (which btw, you can do with Ctrl-Shift-BackSpace) and then gets progressively worse.