Quantcast

New bie to google TV

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by knightriderq, Nov 6, 2011.

1. knightriderq

knightriderq New Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a strange situation. I'm using Logitech google TV with Samsung HDTV And Verizon Fios Set-Top Box, and give the volume out to A 2.1 Speaker System which connects directly to my TV. under normal circumstances I'm not able to control the volume of the speakers using any remote. The TV remote only controls the volume coming out from the TV speakers not from the external speakers. After plugging in all of the devices to the Google TV and installing it, I was hoping that I would get the solution of my problem that is I would be able to control the volume of my external speakers using the volume controls on the Google TV.
    Before I installed controls of my HDTV on Google TV I was able to do so however when I installed my HDTV and then try to play with the volume using the controls on the Logitech revue, this is what happens. any attempt to raise the volume raises the volume of the external speakers, which gives me an idea that the controller is raising the volume output from the google TV. but when I tried to lower the volume using the controls of Logitech revue, it only lowers the volume from the internal speakers of my TV not from the external speakers leaving me with really high volume at times.
    the situation is persistent despite I select different devices even from the Logitech Harmony iPhone app. the volume controls on the iPhone app work in the exact same way as the physical keys on the keyboard/Logitech revue, which I mentioned above
    please let me know what is wrong.

Also is there a way to control the Google TV/Logitech revue from my Mac using any kind of application?

anyone has any information regarding the android update to the Google TV?

thanks

:)

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I apologize for restructuring your text, but it was really difficult to understand originally.

I suspect that what's happening is that the IR signals that are associated to Volume Up is either the incorrect IR signal or misconfigured command. While the Volume Down is signal is correct for your television and is only sending the IR.

Go into GTV Settings > Input devices > Customize Controller Keys and clear the current commands from Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. This should prevent the Logitech Revue from sending any IR signals to your TV's volume control and only adjust the variable audio output to the television.

The configuration of the controller will be the same between any input device. It doesn't matter if its the Keyboard, Harmony Remote, or Smart Phone App. To understand that you have realize that the input devices acts as triggers for the associated command on the Logitech Revue. That is why you're able to use GTV Settings > Input device > Customize Controller Keys control panel to reassign IR command signals, and its functionality will reflect on all inputs device not just the keyboard.

So the command flow would look looks like this:
    Revue Keyboard
    ->​
    Logitech Revue ​
    <-​
    GTV app iPhone​
    (Volume Up Trigger)​
    (Volume Up Command) ​
    (Volume Up Trigger )​
    |
    V
    IR Blaster Signal

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. knightriderq

knightriderq New Member

thanks for your reply

I was able to streamline the volume controls by your directions. However, the controls are still selective for either the TV or the fios set-top box. With my TV installed on Logitech, It does not give me the option to control the aggregate output from Logitech Revue, like it does when I do not have the TV installed.

I'm trying to find a solution in which I could control the aggregate volume output from the Logitech rather than selectively controlling the volume of each device with all the devices installed on my Logitech.

Thanks

:)

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused by your statement there. Are you implying, "After configuring the TV on the Logitech Revue, you can no longer control the audio output of the Revue and instead it controls the television's volume" ?

If this is the case then remove the configuration of the TV from the TV & AV Receiver control panel. Go into the Customize Keyboard Controller and teach the minimum IR signals/commands from your television's remote to the respective keys. I believe all you really need is Power and Input for the television which is the [TV Power] and the [Fn]+[TV Power] buttons. And don't worry about mixing the television commands with the Verizon commands. This will allow you to assign the respective IR codes manually to the selected buttons without configuring the TV.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

So, you're looking for an option to control the aggregate output from Revue to control only the volume of the 2.1 Speaker System!

What types of connection u have between the 2.1 Speaker System and TV? & What is the 2.1 Speaker system model?

In General, if ur 2.1 Speaker System has only manual-volume-control then u won't be able to control its volume, with Revue or any other device!! ...(Assuming the Speaker system is connected via optical or RCA cable to the TV, .. excluding TV-headphone-jack connections).

But, If ur 2.1 Speaker System has IR remote-volume-control then add it to Revue as a (AVR) and teach it (volume) IR signals!

Btw, How did you control the aggregate output from Revue (before) without TV installed? Were you able to control the volume of Revue's output audio signal to the Speaker System by connecting the system directly to Revue? What type of connection between the 2.1 Speaker System and Revue was it?

For Mac, if it has HDMI jack & IR receiver you'll be able to connect it to Revue ( in place of ur STB) & manually teach Apple remote IR commends to Revue's controller. For Apps > iTune, Hulu Desktop, Plex ,Front Row(SL10.6.x) & Mira Remote plugin...

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011