Quantcast

New $99 Revue Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by anjenaire, Aug 13, 2011.

1. anjenaire

anjenaire New Member

I received my Revue two days ago via UPS. It is hooked up sans cable box ('cause Comcast insists on charging me extra $$$ per month for a box with HDMI output so no interface) but working fine as an additional input source to the TV (and since my family understands that model to initiate the DVD player by changing the input mode, this shouldn't be too large of a concept to grasp in order to use the GTV). So far watching some web content has been fine (sometimes spinning wheels of buffering but overall quality good). Internet searches also going well and web browsing (but no back button, what is up with that???). What isn't going so swimmingly is view content from my network. Frankly this was reason 2 for purchasing the device. (Reason 1 was internet surfing but since I also happen to own a tablet, I can always use that if need be; Logitech Revue keyboard is pretty cool however and I see that as my primary input device). I am running TVersity, Windows Media Center and PlayOn but most of my videos aren't working. I admit I may need to tweak those services. Most of the videos are on a network drive that is attached to my WD Live. I was kind of hoping that the GTV would work at least as well as that device for videos. So far that is not the case. I am hopeful that with an update I could use a different player (Mobo?) to access those videos (mainly in avi format). Time will tell whether this is another abandoned technology path or whether Google will breathe life into the product with updates (my WD Live seems to be an orphan with Western Digital with updates coming very slowly and more often or not breaking features as it fixes others. YMMV). Since my Vizio TV is a "smart tv" with its own apps and wifi internet access, some of the functionality of the GTV is redundant but I also worry about Vizio supporting updates in firmware since it looks like my Vizio BD player (VBR231) also appears to have limited upgrade life (they recently added Blockbuster Online but not Amazon VOD which as a Prime Member is of prime interest to me).

Anyway:

TV1: Comcast Cable::Google TV (Logitech Revue)::Vizio VX37VT::pioneer Upconverting DVD Player
    TV2: Comcast Cable::WD Live::Vizio BD VBR231::Olevia LCD::Yamaha Receiver::Windows/Boxee HTPC::pS3::5.1 Surround

-anjenaire

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The back button on the Revue keyboard is the key with the curved arrow pointing to the left. (It's located below the track-pad).

3. thewamp

thewamp New Member

DISH Network just lowered the price of the Revue to $99.

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I use playon too anjenaire and to get the videos to play on your google tv with it you need to have them on your computer your using as a host and not the wd live. Also you must install vlc at VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! and add your videos directory under the my media tab of playon.

Then go to g.playon.tv using your google tv and if playon is running and setup correctly you should see a my media selection on the playon webpage. If you don't see it make sure the box is checked on the my media tab to enable that feature and when your on the playon webpage , you may need to go in to the settings box there on the playon webpage and restart the server if it does not show up the first time.