Quantcast

New 46" Sony owner. Not impressed with Google TV. Next. Market?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by dalepa, Aug 17, 2011.

1. dalepa

dalepa New Member

Google TV reminds me of the PC days dealing with all the PC APPS before Microsoft Windows. Every app works differently, many don't even work, and you end up spending all your time trying to find content instead of actual watching.

First off, I'm a geek, so I'm willing to do what it takes to figure it out, but I don't know a non technical person could ever figure Google TV out.

If Google TV offered some major network TV channels like FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, HLN, I would be much happier...

I really want to cut the DISH "cable", but it looks like it's going to be awhile before that happens.

I'm confused about the Market. Is it available already, or is it TBD?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Android Market is not officially available for Google TV. Those who are talking about it is using a Developer's Leak which was not meant to be used by end-users.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dalepa

dalepa New Member

Is the official Market planned to be part of Google TV sometime in the future?

4. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

First, a "geek" has no troubles with Google TV.

Also, you should have known that major "Cable" network channels are best viewed when you have "Cable." Do you know what streaming sites are...if so find one for your channels. Make a bookmark and there you go...

It takes a day or two to learn the Remote/TV functions and all the content available.

Here is a thread that might help you setting up your TV...
    [h=2]Sony Google TV Tips [/h]
    P.S. you can plug in a wireless USB mouse into the tv and use it to surf...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  5. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I fancy myself a geek girl and I love my Sony 46" TV. I'm excited by what Google TV has to offer and what's coming down the pike. When we take on something like Google TV it's pretty much an early adopter type situation (I include Roku, Apple TV etc... ) Streaming TV is still in its infancy. In a few years we'll marvel at how easy it is to do it all, but for now we have to make these systems work for us and adjust to the limitations that we face due to everyone (Networks, Studios etc... ) wanting their gigantic piece of the pie to continue being gigantic. They know it's inevitable that we the consumer will get our way and watch TV the way we want to, but they've had decades of controlling what we see and when we see it. So they throw up roadblocks and make it difficult for us to find the content we're looking for.

This scares off those that want TV watching to continue being easy as it's been while using cable/satellite services. If you want it easy this is not for you. if all you want to do is watch Netflix and surf the net, Google TV does that very well. If you're planning to cut the cord, be patient and read the forums you can find links to sites and programs that will enable you to watch most anything on Google TV. There's a whole world we can access that most users won't discover.

And once Honeycomb hits in the next few weeks, the world should be the limit... I can't wait to see what's going to come down the pike.

-HeatherA
    New to Google TV and loving it!

Owner of: Logitech Revue | 46" Sony Google TV

6. dalepa

dalepa New Member

Honeycomb is coming to GTV? I'm still in week one with my gtv, so im clueless about all the news...

7. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

With any luck it will be released by the end of September. There's already a leaked version floating around for the Logitech Revue.

-HeatherA
    New to Google TV and loving it!

Owner of: Logitech Revue | 46" Sony Google TV

8. ebp

ebp New Member

I'm glad we share the same opinion, I just bought my Sony 40" Google last month and have been amazed at the variety and number of apps that are built in. I just spent 3 hrs searching through podcasts and internet radio stations from the comfort of my couch.

I have been a cable free for 5 years and this is way better than sitting hunched over a computer...I hope Sony and Google contiue to improve and develop content for this product, but it sure works nice already!