Quantcast

network TV without cable?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jmonty, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jmonty

jmonty New Member

just picked up a Sony GS8 and it looks like this won't meet my needs?
    I want to see if it will pick up the Live Networks over the internet? I don't have cable or direct TV trying to get off the grid
    I wanted to watch the NFL game on NBC but no go? How about ESPN? HBOgo?

2. AAMAA

AAMAA New Member

Try to plyon.com and tel me what you see

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, there are no free legal live feeds of NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC or the other tradition TV networks available on the internet, at least not yet. Some of those networks offer programming on demand at their web sites or through Hulu for free. Of course HBOGo requires a paid HBO subscription. I have been using ESPN3 for years, it is free if your internet service provider offers it but the live sports available are very limited and nothing at all like ESPN with a pay TV subscription, although it is far better than nothing.

I cut the cord in 2009, use Google TV, a PC and an antenna on the roof for local channels for programming. The PC is necessary because many of the networks and Hulu block Google TV access so using a PC as a server and Google TV as a client, I have access to those sites. The server I use is PlayOn for that purpose. The NFL, NBA and MLB all offer some sort of paid subscription for online streaming of live sports but I have never subscribed. I have been able to view the major golf tournaments Thursday and Friday, either through PGA.com or ESPN3 the last few years and of course the weekend rounds using the antenna on the roof. Local channels provide most of the live sports I watch. Overall, I am very happy with Google TV as the center piece of my cord cutting solution, without it, things would not be nearly as good.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. jmonty

jmonty New Member

Thanks Chris,

we cut the cord a few months ago, no DVR is tough. So am I able to use a laptop as the server? then how would I send it from the laptop to PlayOn?

I have an antenna that works for all networks but NBC. It also does not get BPS all the time? If i turn it I get them but loose other channels. I need to look at extending it higher or geting a motor to rotate the thing. I have access to a paid HBO subscription but did not see if the HBOgo would work as I didn't see an App?

It says Parked Domain

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

HBOGO should work with PlayOn. The HBO android app doesn't work with GTV devices on Honeycomb OS. If you get the Jellybean update you could sideload an earlier version of the HBOGO APK as it's supposed to work with the LG GTV televisions on Jellybean (the current version in the Play Store doesn't work). Also the HBOGO web site doesn't work with the GTV Chrome browser.

Here is a link to a post about an LG GTV user (with Jellybean) and his experience using the HBOGO app:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/lg-internet-tv/8942-will-g2-series-ever-get-jellybean-update-4.html#post60514

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  6. ChrisG8

PlayOn is a server you run on the PC and the PlayOn app for Google TV turns Google TV into a PlayOn client. It is a pay service normally but the server has been free for the last seven months or so. I believe it is free for one more day, you can try it out still if you want.

FREE on GOOGLE TV | PlayOn

I have been using PlayOn for almost two years and I am really happy with it for the few sites I want that block Google TV, primarily Hulu. The companion software package PlayLater is a DVR for online streaming and I use it as well. I purchased a lifetime license for both packages.

A DVR is a must in my opinion if you are going to use OTA programming, TiVo is far and away the best for that purpose in my opinion and second best would be a PC running Windows Media Center. There are other options but nothing I would bother with.

7. jmonty

jmonty New Member

So if I may ask what didnthe lifetime license run for both?

8. ChrisG8

The lifetime license i bought does include both PlayOn and PlayLater but licenses can be purchased separately. MediaMall, the company that owns the rights, sends emails with their current specials, I know the last week or so the price is $50 for PlayOn/PlayLater lifetime license. That special ends today if I recall correctly.

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

About your antenna. I've found that using Haupauge TV on the PC connected to any metal object like a clamp or even a wrench, LOL! works much better than any antenna I've tried yet. Check your PC to see which version of Windows Media Center you have.

I have all the local channels and even the 2100 series of Christian channels that I never could get using an antenna and my Seiki HDTV tuner. You can also buy a Digital TV tuner box for around $47.00 at Best Buy or Amazon which will allow for a guide and channel program info.

The Window Media Center Haupauge TV allows for recording two channels while watching another and has DVR functions for pausing, REW/FFWing of live TV. Also, there are 3 modes: Full Screen, Normal and Picture in a Picture (PIP). There are other advanced features that my non-tech fumblings will never understand. Your PC must be equipped w/an RF in connector. I'm not sure whether laptops have this feature.

Note: The Digital TV tuner can be used like a cable box as long as it has an HDMI port for control directly via your GTV. In other words the Primetime app should work for ya w/out having to resort to more expensive means like TIVO.

Carl