Quantcast

Network Speed test via co star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by seanwi, Dec 2, 2012.

1. seanwi

seanwi New Member

What is your maximum internet download speed when checking your net
    via network "setting" menu of your co star.
    I have 15MB download speed rate internet package ,when i test the speed via the co star menu i get only an avarage of 2MB-3MB.
    Is it logical?

2. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I tried this also with Speed test.net

I had 19.7 download on the computer and 8.7 on the network connection test on the Co-Star. Something is up I think.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Using my first gen Google TV boxes, I have U-verse up to 12Mbps service, using Wireless-G with the U-verse gateway and I got 10.10 just now which is about the same as I expect on a computer.

4. seanwi

seanwi New Member

I ment go to to the co star menu -> network setting -> and from there test the speed
    not using other services like speed test.net etc...

5. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

The speed test.net was on the computer. The 8.7 testing within the Co-Star network test.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would think the most meaningful test comparing computer to Google TV would be to use the browser with both and the same test with both, apples to apples.

7. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Can you check it again using co star menu?
    I can't believe you got 8.7MB within the co-star
    How do i get only 2.5MB within the co star with 15MB internet bundle?
    All my other computers at my house which connected to the same network show 15MB.

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

9. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Checked it just now and got 7.63 this time.

10. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Thanks for checking
    I cant connect my router directly to my costar
    Any other ideas?

11. CatfishRivers

Can you take your Co-Star to another location (maybe a friend/relative etc.) and try testing directly connected to modem there? This way we can determine for sure if the issue is related to the way that your router interacts with the Co-Star.

If you are unable to do that - then I suggest trying some of the troubleshooting measures that I mentioned in post #11 in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6397-speedtest-via-co-star-2.html

12. seanwi

seanwi New Member

I did speed test via thr chrome browser of the co-star and i get my maximum speed (15MB) so the problem for sure
    doesn't concerned the router

13. CatfishRivers

I have read many instances concerning GTV in which the Chrome browser functions normally - however apps (such as Google Play, Netflix, YouTube etc.) do not function properly. Also in these situations other devices get the full better speed test results using the same router - so most then typically assume "that it must not be the router". This has happened recently to others on the Sony NSZ-ZS7 also. In all of these recent instances from threads on the forum - they were able to correct their problem by switching to a different router:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6554-youtube-upgrade.html

I cannot say for sure if your speedtest issue is elated to your router - however IMO it still cannot be ruled out either.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6576-routers-used-sony-i-player.html

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. seanwi

seanwi New Member

I already checked it with 2 routers.
    I got the same results on both routers.

15. CatfishRivers

Ok but IMO the only way you will know for sure is removing the router and connecting your GTV device directly to a modem - there have been GTV issues reported with more than one make and model of router. Have you tried one of the specific routers that have been confirmed to work with the Sony NSZ-ZS7 in the following thread?:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6576-routers-used-sony-i-player.html

IMO if you tried one of the specific make & model of routers that have been reported to work correctly with the Co-Star or the NSZ-ZS7 - then it would be a pretty safe assumption to rule out your router.

Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another recent thread where you can get some more troubleshooting tips:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ant-download-apps-play-store-3.html#post40698

From the above thread:

"I just bought my sony player and connected it to my network. I can look at youtube and netflix and anything on the internet just fine. I can't update it to the latest build. Whenever I go to update it says checking for updates. I have left it on that screen for up to an hour and nothing happens. also whenever I go to the play store and try to download an app it says loading under the app and that's it.

Any help would be appreciated. I have talked to sony numerous times and they insist that something is wrong with my internet provider. I doubt this is true because I am a technician for my internet provider and I have checked, double checked and triple checked my internet."

then there's this:

"I'm having the exact same issue. Got the device in the mail yesterday - chrome works, browsing the app store works - but downloading apps or the update doesn't work at all. I can't understand this - I just spent 3 hours with Sony support and they have no clue what they're doing."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  16. governor

governor New Member

i did the network speed test using wireless, got 0.7 using cisco ddr2200 modem. tested in google crome, got 14. tried wired network test, got 0.7 again. Second box performed the same. cant get netflix through co-star.

any suggestions

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  17. governor

governor New Member

check thread 16, I can get netflix through my router with everything except co-star. I can get netflix through the costar on my hotspot on my sprint phone, but I cant get netflix through the costar on my cisco ddr2200 Centurylink cable modem.

Anymore Ideas

18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

If you are trying to do a wireless Vizio Co-Star set up, I would not advise that, save yourself a lot of headaches sir ... Now if you have a very strong wireless network, then it's ok to go the wireless route ... You need HDMI 1.4 cables and CAT #6 Ethernet cables for the best wired set up results .... Pay no attention to the speed test via the Co-Star, unless you use Speedtest.Net via the chrome web browser ...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  19. CatfishRivers

First I would try rebooting your router/modem.

Next I would try going to settings and force closing then clearing all data from the Netflix app.

If that doesn't work I would consider trying to set a static IP. Also can you try setting your router to bridge mode?

20. jamor9391

jamor9391 New Member

My main TV is downstairs, and even though an Apple TV and PS3 work just fine there, the co-star had major issues with video performance and buffering. I moved it closer to my router and it works a ton better. So for me, the issue was that the WI-FI built into the device is pretty crap compared to well, everything.