Quantcast

Network Authorization Required Issue!

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by firemandan9, Nov 16, 2010.

1. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

Have my new 40" Sony Internet TV here and it looks like the unit must be updated online before I can access the browser. The problem with that is that my university requires you to login to your account on a LAN webpage before your device can be authorized to be used on the network. Without setting up a NAT (router or windows ICS) which is against the Terms of Service of the network how can I get the Google TV online?

This is a priority issue affecting multiple users in this situation...

2. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

Ended up making a NAT with Windows Internet Connection Sharing to get the Google TV online. Is there anyway to get the mac address of the Sony TV before the first update for future reference? Google has logged this issue.

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

A packet sniffer like Wireshark will pick up the ARP's...revealing the MAC addresses of source (Src) and destination(Dst). BTW, it's against TOS of your Uni LAN to set up a subnet?

4. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

Packet sniffer, very much a no no, when connected to the university network at any rate. To clarify my university does allow NATs but many of the universities with those experiencing this issue can not and I am trying to represent the many.

It is also worth noting that many personal WIFI security systems relay on MAC address filtering just as many enterprise wired/wireless networks do.

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Again, I don't understand why..it's just a diagnostic tool that examines the existing traffic..nothing nefarious whatsoever. Maybe they don't want you to see the little man behind the curtain? ;) /keep those slaves ignorant, even at university!