Quantcast

Netgear's NeoTV Prime (GTV100) Is The Latest Google TV Box Outed By FCC Filings

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Netgear's NeoTV Prime (GTV100) is the latest Google TV box outed by FCC filings (click for full article)

By Richard Lawler posted Dec 2nd, 2012 at 10:28 AM

"Just like the suddenly inescapable 4K, it appears Google TV will be a buzzword for multiple new devices at CES like this Netgear NeoTV Prime (model # GTV100) which GTV Hacker discovered via a pair of curious FCC testing documents.

It actually snuck through the FCC before the just-leaked ASUS Qube (more on that in a moment), revealed via a documents for both its Bluetooth-connected remote control and a wireless component, although the box itself remains under wraps. The remote packs a QWERTY keyboard, while up front there's a touchpad plus the usual assortment of control buttons augmented with several app shortcuts for Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Vudu, HBO Go and Crackle.

It may be wishful thinking, but here's hoping the inclusion of Amazon and HBO Go buttons mean dedicated apps are on the way, instead of the current website shortcuts. The wireless module is less revealing, only confirming the name, 802.11n, Bluetooth 3.0 and a lack of ad-hoc wireless network support. Check after the break for a couple of more pics, and info on where Google TV may be headed."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I sure hope the GTV100 has Vudu but I have not seen anything that would make me believe any Google TV device could include Vudu at this point, no announcement of an agreement for Google TV to include Vudu has shown up in any of my searches.

3. CatfishRivers

Hmm... Interesting that the pictures of the remote show a dedicated button for Vudu.

4. ChrisG8

That is likely a prototype and Netgear might not know Vudu can't be included with Google TV or might believe an agreement will be in place before the product is released, I can only speculate but I am pretty sure you can't have a Google TV device and include a few things as a separate offering. In other words, Netgear has made streaming boxes with Vudu and Hulu Plus but once it adds Google TV, that option disappears until there is an agreement for those services to work on Google TV. We can hope but that picture is no more convincing than a picture of Bigfoot.

5. drhill

drhill Member

I would take that Vudu button as a good sign. Same with Hulu Plus. I hope the amazon button signifies an app and not just another shortcut to a cumbersome webpage. I see these two devices and I think two things.

1) Be nice if they include, or have an adapter for, a blu ray drive.
    2) Maybe Google will finally take their head out of their butts and include NDK support.

6. CatfishRivers

Asus and Netgear set to jump on the Google TV bandwagon — Online Video News (click for full article)

BY Janko Roettgers

Summary: Look who's in the Google TV camp now: Both Asus and Netgear are set to release Google TV-powered devices soon, based on FCC filings unearthed this weekend. Netgear's box looks like a typical Google TV streamer, but the Asus device is a bit of a mystery.

"FCC documents suggest that both Asus and Netgear are working on Google TV-powered set-top boxes, according to multiple media reports. The devices haven't officially been announced yet, but it would make sense for both companies to introduce the hardware at the CES in Las Vegas in January. That means that consumers could be able to buy Google TV hardware from as many as seven different CE manufacturers in 2013.

News that Asus was working on a Google TV device hit the net late last week when Engadget unearthed an FCC filing for a somewhat mysterious Google TV dongle called Qube, as well as some apps on Google Play that function as remote controls for something dubbed "Asus Qube with Google TV."

Engadget first suggested that the Qube could be a Roku streaming stick-like HDMI or MHL stick, but the Verge instead reported that the Qube is a media streamer set to replace the ill-fated Nexus Q, with the adapter shown on the FCC site only being part of the puzzle.

Either way, any participation of Asus could be significant for Google TV: The company understands how to turn products into success stories that in turn give entire product categories a lift - something Google TV desperately needs. Asus basically defined netbooks with its EEE PC, and the Asus-made Nexus 7 is arguably the first successful Android tablet aside from Amazon's Kindle Fire."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. AdamRosas

AdamRosas New Member

I was shopping for a GTV device the other night and came across the NeoTV Prime on BestBuys web site
    but it was unavailable for purchase. I thought it was just out of stock, today I checked if it was in stock
    and the product page disappeared so I searched to find out if it was available for purchase anywhere and
    discovered it is not released yet. so long story short I got a screen cap of it in my shopping cart.
    $NeoTV.jpg
    this was the product page which is now "404 not found"
    bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR---NeoTV-Prime-Media-Player-with-Google-TV/6893287.p?skuId=6893287&productCategoryId=pcmcat231700050017&id=1218811233025

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Looks like it's going to go for $129.95.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

9. CatfishRivers

IMO unless the remote has a built in microphone - or the device has some unique feature to distinguish itself from the Vizio Co-Star or the HiSense Pulse - it won't sell very well at $129.95 (and the price will eventually make it's way down to $99).

Even with a mic in the remote - it still will have a tough time competing with the Hisense Pulse (which will come with a mic in the remote for $99).

The Sony NSZ-GS7 started out at $199 and now is selling for $148 on Amazon. Granted it has some features that the Co-Star doesn't have - but even at $148 it's still not selling very well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. ChrisG8

I tend to agree the Sony NSZ-GS7 isn't selling very well but it is number 5 on Amazon's list of digital media players. I think the Roku boxes and Apple TV boxes sell fairly well and all others sell poorly but among that group that doesn't sell well, the Vizio and Sony do better than the others. Apparently the NSZ-GT1 is still available in sufficient quantities that is selling fairly well, it is listed as #33 on Blu-ray players at Amazon.

Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital Media Devices

11. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Looks like the NeoTV™ PRIME GTV100 is now shipping. I wonder if anyone on this forum has purchased one yet - no section under the Set Top Boxes has been created yet. I was thinking of picking up a 2nd Vizio Co-Star VAP430 but before I did was hoping to get some feedback on the Netgear unit. What's odd is their spec sheet and the product specs tab on the product website shows the Dolby Digital logo, but in the Audio specs section under support there is no mention of AC3, only AAC, MP3 & WAV (so I'm assuming like the Co-Star there is no DTS support either). I thought DD and AC3 were synonymous. So that makes me wonder if it can decode DD AC3 natively or if like the Co-Star it has only a pass-thru provision for those with a DD 5.1 or better receiver. I've also "heard" it supports playback of media via DLNA, but nothing in writing I can find - just mention of media playback from USB storage devices or media servers on your TV - referred to as "My Media". Maybe I'm splitting hairs on that one...

NeoTV Prime (GTV100) Supported USB media formats

Oh, BTW, in case anyone cares, for those with the Co-Star and a DD 5.1 receiver (or better), I have been very happily and successfully been using the free app MKV2AC3 to convert any media that has DTS - Popcorn Audio Converter also works nicely. I prefer MKV2AC3 because I can remove all of the subtitles, DTS audio track and any other audio tracks at the time of the conversion. I mention this because now that I've converted a bunch of my media files to AC3, if I pick up a 2nd Co-Star, it won't be attached to a receiver, so I'm guessing I lose the ability to play that particular media (unless I use Popcorn to add an AAC track). I was hoping the Netgear could natively decode DD and then I'd not have to do anything to any of my media files that are AC3. Sorry for rambling - a couple of thought are all bunched together...

NewEgg is listing the device is out of stock and discontinued. The majority of the reviews are negative and most state media playback is horrible.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Amazon has them in stock but most of their reviews are negative as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GTV10...F8&qid=1360875939&sr=8-1&keywords=neotv+prime

Perhaps if this has a chance to mature like the Co-Star it will improve. Sadly I did not see any mention of DD AC3 playback...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  12. CatfishRivers

Amazon is actually out-of-stock also - however when they (Amazon) are out-of-stock they then will list the device as being available from registered third party sellers (if any of them still have it in stock). Currently Amazon lists Beach Camera as having 6 units left in stock:

"Only 6 left in stock.
    Ships from and sold by Beach Camera."

13. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

That's funny when I was editing my post to include Amazon there was 11 left (but I failed to notice it was by a registered 3rd party). In the 20 minutes or so between our posts 5 units sold. I wonder if any of those people know about this site and will be posting a review. Or I wonder if they'll wind up returning them? Based on the reviews that seems the more likely of the two...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013