Quantcast

Netgear WNDR4500 as DLNA & SMB Server for the Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tamanaco, Jan 7, 2012.

1. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

After getting tired of having sorting, indexing and album art issues using a USB attached drive I decided to give something else a try. I also don't want to deal with a DLNA server running on a PC. I was due for a router update as my D-Link DLG4300 was starting to feel a bit dated. I decided to get the Netgear WNDR4500, a bit expensive at $179, but it's a high performance WiFi router with Gigabit ports, two USB ports with a miniDLNA and Samba server build-in. Given that the router is powered on all day, it seemed like the logical place to attach the drive with my multimedia and avoid having to maintain a separate server. So far, my experiences have been very positive. The miniDLNA server in the router runs all day and works fine with the Logitech Media Player (LMP). The library is sorted correctly and the album art shows up all the time in LMP. This makes it easy for my wife to use the Revue instead of my Squeezebox to play music. I also set indexing in LMP to only occur at 3AM to avoid this annoying process from running when I update the video library. My music library is updated only once in a while, but the video library gets updated very frequently. Given that I don't use video playlists and that the video files are not tagged correctly, indexing videos only adds overhead and no benefits for me. I usually only watch a movies once and if I don't like them a lot, I deleted them from the drive. I navigate my video library using folders that are labeled based on the movie genre. For that reason I now share all those folder (shares) using Netgear's ReadySHARE (Samba) from the router and the GTVBox player (smb client) to play my videos. All I have to do is select the smb share labeled Drama on the UI of the GTVBox player and play my videos. I can also add and delete videos to/from the Samba shares from my laptop and watch them immediately... no waiting for indexing or for the source to be refreshed. The other good thing is that GTVBox supports a lot of video formats and subtitles using separate subtitles (.srt) files from the smb shares.

A couple things you need to be aware of. Writing files to the USB drive is little slow with NTFS formatted drives, but improving with recent firmware updates (~6.25 to 6.70MB/sec using WiFi from my laptop). You need to get at least firmware 1.0.0.76 from Netgear support to use Android clients. This FW is not officially released yet. The USB ports support FAT32, NTFS and /ext3 formatted drives up to 2TB. The read/write speeds for FAT32 and /ext3 are much faster. I have yet to test high bit-rate HD movies and since my Revue is wired to the router, I won't be testing playing videos from the Revue using WiFi.

Let me know if you have any questions about this setup.

2. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

i use a older asus 520g ( poor mans nas i call it ) same way , with tomato usb teddy bear firmware and samba . gtvbox works great for playback stream .. also picked up a 20 dollar pogoplug ( pink ) from JR's and hope to configure it for minidlna .

between net shares ( cloud storage ) and network drives ,able remote on my touchpad , i am very happy with the revue @99 bucks .

i am also exploring the possibility of using archlinux on the pogo and usb webcams . would be great to get a work around for Logitech's lock down on the webcam interface on the revue .

If google would just decide on a video conference standard i would know in which direction to apply my energies .

ntfs vs fat32 speeds ( had similar results on different devices , ntfs failed to perform ) but since fat32 gets universal recognition i keep it as a standard on my thumb drives .

what player works best for you when network streaming ? ( gtvbox for me so far, avia crashes and does not FF/Rw for me ) have you used PLEX yet ?

also have not gotten icefilms / ice stream to work yet , download and play is easy , streaming direct i have yet to accomplish . ? i dont condone piracy ( i am a tester, educational purposes only ) ..