Quantcast

Netgear NeoTV PRIME with Google TV $89

Discussion in 'Netgear NeoTV' started by doctorwho33, Jun 6, 2013.

1. doctorwho33

doctorwho33 New Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the Netgear model but that does sound like a nice deal. The big question I would have is can Netgear provide firmware updates to fix any issues? I don't think we have many owners here to comment on Netgear's performance to date but the company has had several internet streaming boxes prior to this Google TV version and should be up to the task. I don't think the company would have bothered with Google TV if it wasn't prepared to support it.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I would not personally buy the Netgear GTV box because on Amazon it is the lowest rated GTV box at 2.4 stars. (This is based on 356 customer reviews - so it's a decent sample size). Some might take the Amazon ratings with a grain of salt - but it's all we have to go on really. Overall I think the reviews (if the sample size is large enough) can give decent clues.

Amazon.com: Netgear GTV100-100NAS NeoTV Prime with Google TV: Electronics

* The Sony NSZ-GS7 is currently rated a full point higher (at 3.4 stars) - and I believe there is good reason for this.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

I would prefer the Sony NSZ-GS7 also but I am skeptical when I read negative Google TV reviews at Amazon or anywhere else, I am confident I could make this box work well.

5. CatfishRivers

I just noticed that Amazon lumped the reviews for the Netgear "NeoTV Max Streaming Player NTV300SL" along with the Netgear "GTV100-100NAS NeoTV Prime" together. The NeoTV Max box is not a Google TV box. So to get the true rating for the Netgear GTV box - one would need to sift through the entire 356 reviews and pick out those reviews that pertain to the GTV box.

My hunch is that the Netgear GTV box is still the lowest rated of the GTV boxes - but I don't have time to sift through 356 ratings to sort them out.

On Newegg the Netgear GTV box is rated 2 eggs (out of a possible 5 eggs) - however they only have 15 reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122507&Tpk=netgear gtv100&IsVirtualParent=1

6. ChrisG8

Google TV requires some effort to use and whether 15 or 350 people couldn't or weren't willing to make the effort to learn to use it, the negative reviews mean nothing to me. Reading the reviews makes it clear to me, the reviewers didn't understand how to use the device. A fair criticism would be it is too difficult to use for the reviewer but the list of things they can't do but I can do, only show me they have no idea how to use it. I give the Sony NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7 5 stars and the Logitech Revue 4 stars. I have no experience with the others yet.

7. CatfishRivers

I have not tried the Netgear GTV box so cannot comment from personal experience. However the Netgear "NeoTV Max Streaming Player NTV300SL" is not a GTV box (I believe it is a pure streaming box) - and as such should be easier to use than GTV. So if the easier to use pure streaming box from Netgear also appears to have a low rating - perhaps that says something about Netgear brand? Possibly their technical support?

I know Carlszone tried all the GTV boxes and ended up returning the Netgear GTV box. I don't consider Carlszone a novice who doesn't understand how to operate GTV correctly. So hopefully he can comment on this thread.

Also in general if most users don't have enough "know-how" to operate GTV properly - all other things being equal - I would expect the user ratings for all the GTV boxes to be in the same ballpark. The user error theory does not explain why one GTV brand is rated significantly lower or higher than the other brands....

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChrisG8

The typical negative user review comes from someone not understanding how to use the device or not wanting what the device is capable of. I have read enough negative reviews on all of the various models to come to that conclusion. The fact the Sony versions get much better reviews could be a result of a couple of factors. First the Sony boxes are more complete products, better codec support, with more connections. Due to being more expensive, the Sony boxes are likely to have been purchased by people that were willing to make the effort to understand how to use the devices and are also more likely to operate the boxes properly.

You can place importance on the nonsense reviews if you want. I have read many negative reviews, they don't hold up to scrutiny, are poorly supported and offer false conclusions about what the devices are capable of. The reviews are worthless to me, the only valid complaint I consistently see is Google TV is too difficult for the reviewer to use, given the effort that was made. That is a fair criticism, I know Google TV is more difficult to use than the other streaming boxes, I have experience with several others in addition to Google TV. If a user doesn't want a backlit remote, doesn't want additional flash storage, don't need addition codec support, doesn't want optical audio, and doesn't want addition USB ports, the simple less expensive models run exactly the same operating system, use exactly the same browser, use exactly the same processor with exactly the same RAM.

9. CatfishRivers

ChrisG8 wrote: "the simple less expensive models run exactly the same operating system, use exactly the same browser, use exactly the same processor with exactly the same RAM."

I agree with that statement. However there can be other differences such as firmware support, overall customer service, differences in UI (the Vizio Co-Star and the Asus Cube have their own custom UI instead of the vanilla GTV UI), the quality of the remotes can be different, etc. The Vizio Co-star only costs $99 and it's rated 3.2 (almost as high as the Sony NSZ-GS7) -and a full point higher than the Netgear box.

IMO that is a significant difference. I understand that you don't incur any significance in the reviews. I put some significance in them from a broad overall perspective (when there are enough reviews for a representative sample). I'm done with this thread -:)

10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Obviously, my friend Chris, is a GTV purist. In other words, he is inclined to believe that those who oppose the GTV platform are either too stupid to learn how to navigate it, or has some preconceived objections to it. He cannot conceive that users, even highly tech skilled users don't want to submit their families, and much less their children to the intricacies of a GTV device that requires the programming and specific internet syncing of Google Accts. Also, not mentioned as yet, there is absolutely no privacy between users. Why would an executive want his internet activity open to his whole household? Have you, Chris, found a way to keep yer info from anyone using any of these devices? Even using the Incognito feature leaves a track to all yer accounts. My friends come over and want to enjoy the internet as they once did when I had MSNTV 2. I was able to create a new user for them. Ya can't do that on GTV! My acct is open to anyone that share these devices.

Google TV suffers from having no centralized system between devices, other than being on the same OS. Google can't and will not account for the short comings of independent manufacturers of Google TV devices. When the Hisense Pulse first came out, where was Google? What about the Netgear Neo Prime TV? Who, from Google was there to acquaint us w/these devices that bear their name?

Nobody...

As I said, Chris is a Google TV purist... Unfortunately, Google isn't.

Need I say more...

Carl

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Well, I took Chris's remarks to mean he'd like to see an actual review that compared the pros & cons of the boxes rather than just based on a score that may be based on factors that are not a concern for him. I think we can all agree with that. I was certainly hoping to find some actual useful info about the box. When looking at a product on Amazon, I've always read through the actual comments to see if what someone liked/disliked would actually be a +/- for me. The over all score is just a starting point.

12. ChrisG8

Yes, reading the reviews tells me whether or not there are false claims by the reviewer that form the basis of the negative review. The PC Mag review discussed in another thread covers my point, the reviewer rated Roku and Apple TV higher based on user experience, ease of setup and use. He also stated what I consider a fact, for those willing to make the effort, Google TV does much more. This isn't a complicated discussion, it is a valid criticism to state Google TV was too complicated for any given reviewer to use properly or that it doesn't do what the reviewer wants from a streaming box. Fair enough, it is harder to use than Roku or Apple TV and not everybody wants the same things from a streaming box.

The reviews I have problems with are very common on Amazon, the reviewers make false claim after false claim as a result of their inability to use the device, they don't stop at it is too hard to use, they claim as facts the devices can't do things I do with the devices routinely. I don't have crashes and freezes, I know how to avoid that, it takes effort and babying. The services and web browser work for my needs. I understand people don't want to have to do the things necessary to get the most from Google TV, they want to turn the device on and use it without concern for managing its limited resources and not have to know how to do the things necessary. Basically what is wanted is for three or four web pages to be open, several apps running and have no issues with using the box to do whatever is wanted, well unfortunately this inexpensive box doesn't work like that, it would be nice if it did.

I have four different Google TV models, I can use all of them and have read reviews on each of them with the same general negative comments. I don't own the Netgear model but I have read the reviews, same general comments, including false claims, as I read on the models I do own, I am certain I could make this model work if I did own it. I also own Roku models, very highly rated on Amazon and in general I agree with the glowing reviews about ease of use. With this product category, ease of setup and use results in high ratings, more difficult to setup and use results in lower ratings. That's it, which is OK, I would expect ease of use would be most important in this product category so it is no surprise to me that Roku and Apple TV are rated higher than Google TV.

I don't have any problem with the average Amazon customer rating Roku and Apple TV above Google TV. For me, based on my needs from a streaming box, it is Google TV followed by Roku followed by Apple TV and I can live with more difficult to operate to get the things I need.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carlszone

I'd just like to add. The statements aren't really false. In other words, they are not written to deceive. They are written to portray the users inability to perform certain tasks on the various devices. These are legitimate ratings criteria. Remember, the customer ratings and reviews are not coming from a professional viewpoint, but from limited user experiences.

The professional reviews on CNET and other news sites often give a more in depth and fair comparison to other devices, but will also rate the ease of use factor. If GTV is ever going to achieve marketing on the scale of other mainstream devices, it must consider the user reviews. They simply matter...

But all that aside, one of the best ways to educate folks on any device is forums like these. Chris, yer posts and others are what enlightens new users to the GTV platform. This is where users can come and separate the fact from fiction. But even here we've seen folks that cannot accept the extra steps it takes to make these devices & TVs work even w/the best advice given.

So the question remains; how does Google make GTV attractive to the point & click majority??? Esp. w/devices like the Neo Prime where Customer Support is so inept...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  14. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Ease of use is important, and marketing these far more capable devices directly up against simpler streamers does them no favors. As far as I'm concerned, GTV is competing with HTPC's and while it doesn't quite hit the mark in terms of support for various apps and video/audio formats, the form factor, fanless design, price, remote, and UI are superior.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Carlszone

When I tried out the Netgear Neo TV Prime or whatever it's called, I found it very user friendly at first. All my Apps & Bookmarks auto-installed shortly after I signed into my Google acct. I could even use my msn.com Google acct. But then the remote was atrocious. I'm trying to remember exactly what made it so painful to use. I know the keys were placed in an awkward position and the touch pad was difficult to use.

I had almost settled in for the long haul when I noticed I could not bring up the Quick Guide. I kept having to input my channel line-up and cable info. Once I got it all working I left for a few hours. I come back and the whole lineup is gone. When I tried to reenter my channels, most were missing. I called customer support and after 30 mins of navigating a tricky CS Menu I finally got a tech. He listened to my problem patiently. After I listed all the problems he asked me if the Quick Guide was a Windows product and what was a channel lineup.

I gave up and called back. Got another tech w/similar results. Turns out these techs only have a general knowledge of all the devices & routers under their care. One guy kept asking me if the Neo TV was their product!

I checked this forum to see if anyone else was having the same problem but the device was too new then. Now we know how bad that device was. But it can still be redeemed w/a dedicated Customer Support team and dropping the 60-90 day limit before requiring paid support. All GTV devices should have unlimited full support. Google should insist upon it. Logitech proved that this works. Even tho they dropped support for the Revue, their customer service has been outstanding!

The Neo remote can be fixed and the cable/channel lineup bugs can be corrected. But that unit needs a lot of work to be worth buying at any price.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  16. fetterov

fetterov New Member

I just bought this machine, and I love it. like some people were saying it takes some getting used to. I like you can plug a mouse into it and use that instead of the remote. the only thing negative I have to say is when it comes to playing games online it is kinda slow. and for all the searching I have done online about this machine, I have yet to find any firmware or customer support on it.

17. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Saw a bunch of these in my local walmart's clearance section for $80. Not much of a discount for an outdated unit.

18. ChrisG8

I agree and would say at this point, if you want a Google TV box, find the Sony NSZ-GS8 or if you have a Sony HDTV that is compatible, the Sony NSZ-GU1 at a great price rather than buy the Netgear at $80.