Quantcast

Netgear NeoTV Prime or Sony NSZ-GS7??

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by superfly611, Feb 11, 2013.

1. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

I think I decided that I would just go ahead and buy a Google set-top box. I saw these two I can't decide which one I will get. Whether to get the netgear neotv prime or the Sony nsz-gs7. or maybe even both. lol. so has anyone had both of these and if so what did you think? i am definitely waiting until the 12th because thats when the new remote comes out with the microphone in it on the sony. me being paralyzed that feature can come in handy. anyway any recommendations?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't have either box but if I was buying one my personal choice would be the Sony NSZ-GS7. This is because it's rated much higher on the Amazon customer reviews.

The Sony NSZ-GS7 has 160 customer reviews on Amazon and is rated 3.2 stars (out of a possible 5 stars).

The Netgear NeoTV Prime has 13 customer reviews on Amazon and is rated 2.0 stars.

See post #30 in the following thread for the current Amazon customer ratings of all the second generation GTV boxes (with the Amazon links):

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-blu-ray-set-top-box/6812-sony-nsz-gp9-3.html

* Also on NewEgg web site the Netgear NeoTV Prime has 14 reviews and is only rated 2 eggs (out of a possible 5 eggs):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d=1&Description=Netgear+NeoTV+Prime&x=17&y=20

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If voice control is important, the least expensive option will likely be the Hisense Pulse since it has been reported to come with remote with mic built in. If price isn't a big concern than the Sony NSZ-GS7 with optional remote with mic when it is available would probably be the best hardware.

4. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

i thought i read somewhere that the sony was coming out today with the microphone built to the remote. do you think i should buy it today or wait and see if the price comes down. i see it for $166 on amazon but they couldn't confirm wether or not the remote had a mic. sony is selling for $199. i would rather stick to the sony than the hisense. any recommendations?

5. ChrisG8

I don't believe any NSZ-GS7 at retail include the remote with microphone. If you think you have read things are changing and that it will start shipping with the new remote with mic, show me what you have read. I can find nothing that indicates that.

The remote with mic was reported to be the NSG-MR7U but I can't find it available at retail, period.

6. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

your right i mis-read. i do want to wait for it to come out for sure though. does anyone know when it might be coming out? i know it is that model though (nsg-mr7u) but when you do a search mostly foreign sites come up. there are a few websites that talk about it but you cant buy it.
    you can root the sony nsz-gs7 so you can get hulu, amazon prime, and netflix right? i guess anything can be rooted right?

7. tes

tes New Member

I purchased the Sony NSZ on 2/12/13 for $149 from Best Buy. Regular price is $199. Several sites, inculding Sony, were/are selling the box for $149. Best Buy offers price match, so it cost $149. Kinda expensive, although I had a $25 gift card to use as well.
    The product was very easy to install. It has worked great thus far. My reason for buying this type of device is to have the ability to surf the web from my 60 in Vizio Smart TV. The picture may be ever so slightly less sharp when cabled through this box. Ill run some comparisons this wekend to determine if there are picture differences with/without the box. All in all, Im satisfied with the Sony, although I wasted $ on buying the Smart TV. The "Smart" part is far too limited for me, but, meh, whatcha gonna do?

8. ChrisG8

A proper Amazon Instant Video app should come within a few weeks, currently that requires access using the web browser. The Google TV Netflx app is really good in my opinion but there is no hack for Hulu or Hulu Plus and probably never will be. I had hoped that Hulu Plus would be available on Google TV by now but for whatever reason, it hasn't happened. As far as access to the free Hulu, I use a PC and can use Google TV as a client and the PC as a server to provide Hulu access and it works well enough but without a PC, you will be out of luck for Hulu.

9. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

10. ChrisG8

What I stated, the PC plays Hulu, it can not be accessed directly by Google TV, and acts as a server and Google TV as the client, meaning you watch using Google TV, unless you have a PC running Hulu you won't be able to use Hulu. Hulu is licensed for tradtional PCs only. If you still don't understand, read about DLNA server and client, it is a way to access content from a PC using Google TV.

11. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

oh ok i got ya. dlna. i always have at least i one pc running so thats not a problem. so just run hulu plus program on the pc and the google tv can use that.

the main things i want from this device is to be able to access my videos i have on a hard drive and use youtube, hulu plus, amazon prime (if possible) & netflix. the rest is all a plus. oh i don't know if i mentioned it won't have a cable tv connection. just internet. this is going In my living room where I occasionally watch movies with friends. We might also look up stuff on YouTube or the Internet and display it on the large screen. So with that all in mind what would be a good choice? would a media streamer be a better choice and if so which one are some of your recommendations? i have tons of video files already on a hard drive.
    Comcast cable has gotten so darn expensive I was thinking of even replacing our other Cable boxes with something like these devices. Not sure that would satisfy all of my needs for my parents or if it would be too difficult for them. My dad basically watches the discovery channel, the science Channel, antenna TV which shows all bunch of old movies, TV land, things like that.
    i'm checking out what popcorn hour is right now. i don't want to have to pay for to many more services. i already have amazon prime, netflix and i wouldn't mind hulu plus. i have lots of dvds and convert them as digital files for my use.
    would a boxee box or popcorn hour be a better choice? is there anything new coming out in the next month or 2? one last thing. i dont like renting. i would rather have the file or physical dvd to keep. thats why i got the 1st gen apple tv but i just want more.

thanks in advance

12. CatfishRivers

Just to be clear - there is no Hulu Plus "program" or app for Google TV. Even if using DLNA with a computer. With DLNA you can pay $4.99/mo or $79.99/yr for a PlayOn subscription and then run their software on your computer and stream the feed via DLNA to your GTV device. With Playon you will get the regular free Hulu version ( Hulu Plus requires the additional Hulu Plus subscription fee) and a bunch of other channels/content. However the content won't be in HD:

Using MediaMall's PlayOn to stream Hulu to your DLNA TV

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  13. ChrisG8

You can get both Hulu Plus and Hulu standard with PlayOn, of course Hulu Plus requires a subscription.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CatfishRivers