Quantcast

Netgear Launches Google TV-Powered NeoTV Prime

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Netgear Launches Google TV-Powered NeoTV Prime | News & Opinion | PCMag.com (click for full article)

Summary: Netgear is expanding its NeoTV media hub line with its first Google TV-powered device, the NeoTV Prime.

By Will Greenwald January 7, 2013 03:00pm EST

"LAS VEGAS-Netgear is throwing in with Google TV for the first time. The company announced the newest addition to its NeoTV line of set-top boxes, the NeoTV Prime. It's Netgear's first Google TV product and the new high-end model in the NeoTV series.

As a Google TV device, the NeoTV Prime will offer much more functionality than the previous NeoTV models including Google Play apps, a Chrome Web browser, and integration into live TV with an infrared port for controlling cable and satellite boxes. It will also be able to access the full selection of movies and music available in the Google Play store.

Like other Google TV devices, the NeoTV Prime features a Bluetooth remote that includes standard playback controls, a touchpad for controlling the onscreen cursor, and a QWERTY keyboard for entering text. It also can play media from both USB drives and networked DLNA devices, and supports Intel WiDi for wirelessly connecting your notebook to it to use your HDTV as a monitor.

The NeoTV Prime will be available later this month at a suggested retail price of $129.99, making it comparable to other Google TV products like the Vizio Co-Star VAP430 and the Sony NSZ-GS7."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

At first glance I don't really see anything much that would distinguish this $129.99 NeoTV Prime box from the less expensive $99 Vizio Co-Star or the $94.99 Hisense Pulse. It does look like the NeoTV Prime remote has a microphone (which the Hisense Pulse also has but the Vizio Co-Star doesn't have).

One thing that I did notice that might set it apart is that the article mentions that the NeoTV Prime supports Intel WiDi wireless streaming capability. I'm not very familar with Intel WiDi but wouldn't it require a device with an Intel chip to work? I'm pretty sure that the NeoTV Prime box will be running the Marvell Armada 1500 processor just like all the other GTV second generation devices. Why would Intel WiDi be better than DLNA?

3. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

4. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

My question is this: What does the HBO Go button do? Does it launch the website like other GTV devices or does it launch an App? I hope the latter is the case but I'm not holding my breath.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If one Google TV box gets an HBO Go app, all models from that generation will get the same app, that much seems clear to me. So far, I have seen nothing that makes me believe there is an HBO Go app, the button if it does anything will just launch the website at this point. Ultimately that is one of many apps needed, along with Hulu Plus, Vudu and Amazon Instant Video that should be offered if Google TV survives.

6. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

What about the Amazon instant video app that is currently exclusive to the LG Google TV's? HBO GO could be a timed exclusive to the Netgear box. Either way I would much enjoy both apps native on my Co-Star (one less reason to extend my Xbox live sub).

7. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

8. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

Does anyone know if this remote supports voice? I do not see a voice button on the remote. I was hoping to see an actual hands-on review somewhere, but yet to find one.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

One box can get an app ahead of the others but there is no reason HBO would provide an app for Netgear and never provide that app to the other second generation boxes, at least none I can think of. I have seen nothing that makes me believe Netgear has the app first and if you are relying on the picture of a remote with an HBO button as evidence of Netgear having the HBO Go app now and there has been no announcement, I am not with you on that belief. I do think there will be an app at some point and that button might launch that app when it is available.

10. CatfishRivers

Netgear made no mention of a microphone during their press conference at CES. However if you look at the picture of the remote (you can enlarge the pic) it looks like there is a microphone on top:

Google TV set-top box for $129 coming from Netgear | Ars Technica

11. CatfishRivers

Netgear NeoTV Max & NeoTV Prime With Google TV at CES 2013:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  12. CatfishRivers

Thanks for the links. I have read about 10 more reviews for the upcoming NeoTV Prime and looked at the official page on Amazon - and none of these reviews/web sites mention anything about WiDi compatibility. If I was going to choose this device over the other GTV devices because one article mentioned WiDi - I would need to get confirmation of this first.

Netgear has an adapter that sells for about $60 called Push2TV 3000 that supports both WiDi and Miracast. Miracast is still very new and apparently still has some glitches - as this Push2TV 3000 adapter is currently only rated 2 stars (out of a possible 5 on Amazon). I made a thread about the Netgear Push2TV adapter model 3000 here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...7065-hands-netgear-push2tv-miracast-widi.html

Here is a link to a review about the upcoming Netgear NeoTV Prime Google TV box from Ars-Tecnicha. It makes no mention of WiDi support for the GTV box but mentions the seperate Netgear Push 2TV adapter product. To use the Push2TV adaptor with WiDi your TV must support Intel WiDi. To use the Push2TV adaptor with Miracast your phone must support miracast. Google TV does not currently support Miracast:

Google TV set-top box for $129 coming from Netgear | Ars Technica

From the article:

"In addition to the NeoTV Prime, Netgear also announced a new version of its wireless display adapter, Push2TV, that will allow users to throw their smartphone or laptop display to their television screen. The TV must be Intel WiDi-enabled and have a USB port to be able to use the dongle, and the smartphones must be Miracast-enabled (the Samsung Galaxy SIII and Sony Xperia TL are two examples of compatible handsets)."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  13. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

I'm thinking the PCMag article is incorrect. I check netgear's website and nothing is mentioned about WiDi.
    NETGEAR Connected Entertainment
    NETGEAR LAUNCHES NEOTV PRIME WITH GOOGLE TV, BRINGING ENDLESS ENTERTAINMENT TO YOUR TV
    I emailed the author to see if he could confirm the WiDi statement.

14. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

15. CatfishRivers

I read the article and IMO either the article is in error - or Google TV has struck deals with Hulu+ and Vudu - meaning that those apps will be available for all GTV devices (with appropriate hardware capability). Due to licensing issues it is not possible for those apps to be on only one GTV box and not the others. What I mean by this is that if those apps are not licensed for GTV - then there is no way Netgear pulled some kind of "coup" to get those apps on their GTV box.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  16. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

Yeah, I would agree with you... just got excited. The article is most likely wrong and showing the normal NeoTV apps.

17. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

The one feature that will make this a must have for me is if it will stream files directly from an NAS without the need for a server. I am currently using a Boxee Box and that streams perfectly, however it comes up short in that it doesn't have an Amazon streaming app. If I found a device that easily handled NAS streaming, YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon, I would be very happy.

18. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

That would be impossible. There has to be a server somewhere. Maybe you mean using the built-in server of your NAS??
    Anyway, My NeoTV is out for delivery today!

19. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Not impossible. With the Co-Star I had to install Plex on my computer in order to stream from there. Boxee Box reads the files directly from my NAS, including iso files, and streams them seamlessly. There is no server on the NAS. It's just a hard drive I plugged into my Airport Extreme with video files on it. If I can find a GTV that did that, along with all the other features, it would be a perfect box.

20. mart85

mart85 New Member

anyone know if this will be available at bestbuy?