Quantcast

Netflix -WiFi streaming quality

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by jbateman, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jbateman

jbateman New Member

I have a GTV 46" and am connected wirelessly to a DIR-615 draft 802.11n. When I stream Netflix movies the quality is not great-it's not bad-just not great. You would think that a 1080p would have a pretty great picture. When watching tv it does, it has a great picture. I am about 25 feet from the router and will not (refuse to) run a hardwire into the tv. The whole purpose of the tv is to be wireless. Now any suggestions on how to increase the picture quality or is this it?

2. jm8254og

jm8254og New Member

What is you current speed that you pay for? Try testing it from a hardwired machine and then from your GTV with speakeasy.net. Are they close? Not sure but I bet Netflix will adjust the quality based on your bandwidth to keep from buffeting.

3. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey jbateman, you might want to give Netflix a call, 1-866-716-0414. They have helped me with some problems I was having in the past and there costumer service is great. For fast service go to netflix.com at the bottom of the home page there is a (phone icon) that you need to click on, it will give you a Code to give Netflix so they can see your account info. This will save you some time with them, you wont have to go through 20 questions.

4. jbateman

jbateman New Member

My download speeds are 3.0 (2.97) Mbps. The GTV was actually quicker than my Macbook which was 2.96! Anyway, I will give netflix a call. I appreciate it ladies and gentlemen!

JB

5. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

Netflix does not stream in HD yet. You are seeing STD stream.. not awesome.... but you get the drift. I have been streaming Netflix to a variety of devices for years. HD Streaming is "comming soon" as it always seems that is. All I can suggest it try it wired and see if it is better, otherwise... you are gonna have to wait.

*edit for spelling*

6. djangofan

djangofan New Member

Just as a bump to a thread which definitely needed an update since Dec 2010...

As of the beginning of 2011, Google TV deviced certainly do stream media now at 1080p, via Google.

7. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Yeah, I called Netflix yesterday and they told me they stream at 1080p if you have a fast internet connection. I run around 12-20 Mbps with Comcast, if you are running 2-4 Mbps you will get 720p or less. With my Sony Google TV I always get 1080p with Netflix, and no buffering.

8. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I stand corrected then. and bow to your experience.

9. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I didn't have to call them and ask. When I am playing some videos (not all) from Netflix, my television tells me that the stream is 1080p , and so I know it to be true.

10. Brentoli

Brentoli New Member

How do you see this? I press info and nothing appears.

11. jbateman

jbateman New Member

I have increased my internet speed to 6 mbps and that seems to have helped. I get some pixelationbut that is only sometimes for a brief second.

Thanks to all who replied.