Quantcast

Netflix via Wi-Fi w/GTV

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chicha29, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

I have an LG32LD350 connected to a Logitech Revue in the living room with internet access via cable. The internet service installer mentioned how the service includes one cable connection and one wireless connection.

Last week, I purchased a Samsung LN32C350 HDTV for a bedroom situated very close to the livingroom.

Being not knowledgable about technical things, I would like to ask this: how do I go about using the wireless internet access service available to me so that I might view Netflix through the bedroom's HDTV using the wireless connection?

I would not be accessing my online banking information using the wireless connection; that connection would be for viewing Netflix only.

What additional things do I need to purchase to enable a Logitech Revue to send a wireless signal to a TV in another room?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Samsung LN32C350 television isn't a smart television, so there's no provisioning to get Netflix with it. You'll need to purchase another Logitech Revue to provide it with the same services as the one in your living room. The Logitech Revue only gives access to Netflix via HDMI out and does not have the capability to share it over the network.

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Is this sharing-capability a possibility when Honeycomb is released?

4. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Regarding the comment about purchasing another Revue, I just may well do that! It's now much lower than the some $299.00 that I paid for the one I have. If I do, how would I connect it to view Netflix wirelessly? And would that wireless connection compromise secure sites that I'm visiting using the wired Revue in the the other room?

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, that would probably piss off a lot of content owners. It wouldn't be in Google's business interest to support that if they want to get into bed with the content owners. Besides, you will still need a physical device to receive and render the information for your television.

If you are only interested in getting Netflix in your bedroom, maybe look at Roku Streaming Player | Watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle and More on Roku Player. They have a model that only costs about $60.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

To answer your original question and if you end up getting another Revue for your TV in your bedroom: If your cable provider's modem transmits a wireless signal (you mentioned that your installer said it did), then yes your Revue in your bedroom would more than likely be able to stream Netflix from the web through your provider. If by chance your provider's modem doesnt have wireless capablilities, then you could add a wireless router yourself (some as low as $20) and have wireless all over your house easily.

7. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

I'm going forward with the purchase of another Revue, to be used in wireless-mode only, as soon as I get an answer to this question. Based on the statement made by the installer, my internet service has one wired and one wireless connection. I'll be purchasing the Revue over the internet and need to know what else I need to purchase for the wireless capability. Also, maybe you can explain what gets plugged into what - as regards the wireless function. There will be a DVD player connected into this set-up, but that's tangential to this issue.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nothing. The built-in WiFi mechanism built into the Revue should be able to connect to your wireless router. So, there's nothing else to buy. So, this is how it would be configured DVD => Revue => Television all via HDMI cables and one is included with the Logitech Revue. Of course, the Revue will need to be plugged into the Power Outlet. However, that's it and there's nothing else you need to buy.

If you're worried, let us know the manufacturer and model number of the router that your Internet Service Provider assigned to you. We can look up its specifications to make sure it is compatible.

9. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

The manufacturer is Arris and the model number is WTM652G.

Regarding the DVD player, it's a Toshiba SD3300. We had earlier used it with a wired Logitech Revue - without an HDMI cable and without any apparent issues. I don't believe it can be used with an HDMI cable! I believe it came with the red/white/blue-type cables.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Looks like your installer lied to you. According to the manual, the WTM652G is capable of connecting 4 Ethernet network connections not one. Also, it supports 802.11b/g wireless technologies. So, you'll shouldn't have a problem connecting the Revue through WiFi.

Yeah, looked up its specifications. It doesn't appear that it supported HDMI out. I guess this need to be a parallel connection than that of the Logitech Revue with your television. Speaking of which, do you know if your other television has an HDMI input and is HDCP compliant?

11. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Both TV's are HDCP-compliant.
    Samsung LN32C350 Specs - Flat-panel TVs - CNET Reviews

http://www.amazon.com/LG-32LD350-32-Inch-720p-HDTV/dp/B0039RNGNY
    ---------
    Should there be any concern regarding the security of the wired Logitech, when both a wired and a wireless Logitech are in use at the same time via the same internet service? The person using the wireless Logitech won't be using it to access sensitive sites, like a bank account. But I will, using the wired Logitech.
    -------
    For the LG, this site refers to an "HDMI/HDCP input". I presume it has only one.
    LG 32LD350 Review - LG LCD TV Reviews and Ratings

For the Samsung, 2 HDMI inputs.
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32C350-32-Inch-720p-Black/dp/B0036EH186

I was mistaken about having connected that DVD player to the Logitech. It must have been connected directly to the TV.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Sounds like a plan.

13. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

My question was serious. If I log into a secure site using the wired Logitech, and a wirelessly-connected Logitech is being used in another room, is there a danger of a password being compromised???. Two different Logitech's are being used, but both are using the same router. I believe the answer is negative. On the other hand, the wireless user needs to pro-actively take steps to to address the issue

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No. Not unless the person in the other room is Kevin Mitnick. You'll have two seperate devices on the same network, so the possibility is there but the probability isn't. It is more likely for someone to hack your WiFi router and snoop your network connection than it is for someone trying to use Logitech Revue beyond its original intention. Haven't you seen the posts on this site? People can barely get it to do what it was meant to do. Of course, when the Android Market becomes available that could be another story.

Basically, the weakest link will be your WiFi router and its wireless clients. So, you should observe proper precaution. Make sure you setup WPA2 security, change its passcode regularly, disable SSID broadcast, enable MAC address filtering, and whatever other methodology that makes you feel more secure.

15. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Does the Logitech Revue have settings for these methodologies? Because the router's configuration may be accessible only by the ISP.

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Logitech Revue can only be configured on the client side of the wireless service. That is SSID (Service Set IDdentifier) which is the wireless network name, Type of security protocols (WPA2/WPA/WEP), and the Passcode. All the other service security measures are maintained on the actual WiFi router. Most ISPs will not allow you access the controls of the DSL/Cable Modem side of the Gateway device but all of them will let you access the Router side. If they tell you otherwise, then you need to change your ISP ASAP.

17. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

eferz, you ought to get a cut of the advertising revenues of this website! You've got to be in the top 10 of most helpful posters (probably #1). That help ought to be rewarded. Without people like you, this forum would be one long list of questions, unanswered. In that event, what would happen is that the website would fail.

One final question: Is a router's configuration accessible using GTV? I have a Sipura ATA and access that device's configuration by going to a certain URL. Is it the same with the routers that ISP's hand out?

18. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

How about me too? Google TV News is helpful...

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Awh, thanks! I appreciate the affirmation, it means a great deal to me knowing that I've at least helped someone.

Yes, all the routers that the ISPs assign home users will have a web based configuration page. You can usually access it by using the gateway/router address assigned to your internet device. Sometimes, they post its config page web address on the routers themselves. I posted the manual for your router earlier, you can peruse that for more information. You can always call their customer support for help accessing your router.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  20. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

During the wireless set-up for the device, it asked if I was using an Arris54g or another router. When I clicked "other", it asked for two pieces of information which I don't know anything about.

I hit the back button and clicked yes to the Arris54g instead. The machine tried to download something, but couldn't get a connection. So I guess I'm definitely not using an Arris 54g. Maybe that's shorthand and my router is the 52g?

The information requested was: 1) Enter Network Name (SSID) and 2) Security Type: a) none, b) WEP, c) WPA Personal and d) WPA Personal2.

How should I proceed? Thanks.