Quantcast

Netflix User Profiles for All Except GS7/8

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by galfert, Dec 15, 2013.

1. galfert

galfert Active Member

Netflix,
    Ya roll out User Profiles for all Android devices but you forgot one Android device.

You forgot to add user profiles to the Sony NSZ-GS7 / NSZ-GS8 Google TV devices. Every other older GTV has it as do other current less popular GTV devices. The Sony NSZ-GS7/8 GTV should have had user profiles first before all other GTV devices. This makes no sense.

I'd understand if no other GTV devices had it.
    I'd understand if the Sony GS7/8 wasn't the most popular GTV.
    I'd understand if the Sony GS7/8 wasn't the most capable GTV.
    I'd understand if the GS8 wasn't a current product.
    It aggravates me that older GTV devices get it.

Nobody likes to be forgotten, especially when less obvious devices were invited to the party.

I can't wait for a proper Nexus TV.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Fascinating. I suppose there's another way to look at this. Maybe the JellyBean update is coming to the GS7/GS8 in the near future (Christmas present!??), and NetFlix didn't see a reason to update the old App. :)

3. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I think we are all wrong...

It seems that Google TV did not exist, because Google and Sony don't mention nothing about it, and they are only interested in upgrading the KITKAT and nothing more...

Because with the lack of information from Google or Sony, and also with the great failure of LG's Jelly-Bean Update, it seems that there is no intention or priority with Android for Google TV or Android TV.

Have not you noticed that Google launched the KITKAT fast and just a week after, they came back to update, supposedly to correct little errors?

So I really think it looks like Google has the highest priority to develop the Android, only for major Cell-Phone manufacturers and their "Top-of-the-Line" models, as the Samsung-G4, Sony Xperia and the newest LG models...

I really think we're the last of the line and the JJ upgrade will be for Christmas, but for Christmas 2014!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Also, the Sony machines were marketed in many countries which may make upgrading Netflix harder.

Sony put out a GTV HDMI stick for their Bravia TV's. I wonder if it could be plugged into a GS7/8?

Philip

5. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

6. galfert

galfert Active Member

I expected more from Sony when I bought the GS8. It was the most reputable brand selling GTV. It was the most expensive. It was the only one that seemed most committed to GTV because it was the only manufacturer with 2nd Gen GTV devices that had 1st Gen devices.

After getting dumped by Logitech I felt Sony would have been a better bet for my next GTV. So much for that assumption.

Google too is to blame. They announced that 2nd Gen devices would be able to be upgraded to JB starting in the 3rd quarter, and here we are at the end of the 4th and nobody but LG has it. Google and Sony at this point owe their consumers an update on the situation.

7. jonw747

The bottom line is always profitability. You can't expect a company to throw good money after bad, but I'm still holding out some hope. :)

8. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I'm sorry to say, not to be negative...

Someone said that hope is the last thing you lose, but we all has been waiting for months...months and more months and nothing happens, so I already lost all hope...

9. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

I'm there with you, If plex, or VLC were available on the Xbox One, I'd already drop my GTVs and move to the One. I had lots of hope for GTV, but 3 years down the road, and numerous carrots on a stick later, and it's still not anywhere close to where it s(c)hould be.

"fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

10. jonw747

As long as the GS8 is on the market, there's still hope. Some companies move faster than others, and some are just very cautious and deliberate by nature. Google didn't even release the JellyBean update until the 3rd quarter and it's still missing features that Google promised. It wouldn't surprise me if it took Sony until the 3rd quarter of 2014, and then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they never released it either. It's not like they ever actually committed to delivering the update.

Now if Google had committed to a heavy holiday advertising campaign for the update, and GS8's were selling like hotcakes, the outlook would be completely different - but that's not where we're at.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

12. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

As I mentioned before, all Newest SONY Cell-Phones are receiving the latest KitKat immediately, but apparently SONY don't have time to test, improve and release the now "OLD" Jelly-Bean, because has Forgotten that their nsz-gs7/gs8 Google-TV still exists...

It seems that Google's only priority is the KITKAT and the new Chromecast...

But beware those who are considering purchasing this new product, because Google can do what it did with Google TV, "Many Promise and Nothing"

As things are going, I think we have to buy one of Chinese Android TV Stick (with HDMI Output), or Smart TV Box powered by Android, that at least bring a more updated Android 4.2.2 (soon KitKat) and also Custom ROMs.!!

Others Android options for HD TVs, that could be better and sooner or latter they will replace our Google TV Box:

Ninix Neo 7 - Powered by Android:

http://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Quad-Android-Bluetooth-Google/dp/B00EE4LHX2

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/NEO-...8-2G-16G-BT-External-wifi-antenna-317282.html

http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOX7.html

Tronsmart CX-919 Android TV Stick:

http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-CX-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1387278579&sr=1-2&keywords=cx919

Rikomagic Android TV Stick:

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/

Philips HMP8100/93 Smart TV Box HMP8100 Powered by Android (only available in China):

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=cn&ctn=HMP8100/93

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  13. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

14. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I thought you would like to know, I decided to put some links about others Android options for HD TVs, that could be better and sooner or latter they will replace our Google TV Box:

Ninix Neo 7 - Powered by Android:

Amazon.com: MiniX Neo X7 Mini TV Box Android 4.2.2 OS Quad Core Rockchip RK3188 1.6GHz 2GB/8GB BT WIFI RJ45 IR Remote Control Black With Tronsmart TSM-01 Air Mouse & Keyboard: Electronics

MINIX NEO X7 Quad Core Mini TV BOX Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS Rockchip RK3188 Cortex A9 1.6GHz HDMI HDD Player 2G/16G Bluetooth V4.0 External WiFi Antenna Black - GeekBuying.com

MINIX NEO X7 - MINIX

Tronsmart CX-919 Android TV Stick:

http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-CX-9...keywords=cx919

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/

Philips HMP8100/93 Smart TV Box HMP8100 Powered by Android (only available in China):

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...ctn=HMP8100/93

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  15. galfert

galfert Active Member

Do any of those recommendations have HDMI input (pass through), as I don't want to have to switch between devices?

16. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

None of them have HDMI input or pass-through, only
    a single HDMI output, just like a BlueRay Player, so you will have to switch between devices...

The good part is that all of them are like a full Android System less the screen, so you will have to connect it to your HD TV via HDMI.

Also as I said before, all of them bring the latest 4.2.2 updates and soon the Android KitKat, they have available various Custom ROMs and all can be ROOTED!

It's like having an Android Tablet with a Big HD Screen!!

17. jonw747

The RokChip based devices have too many issues, IMO. I wouldn't recommend them, but they're getting there, and depending what you need one of them might be a good solution.

For instance, I can watch NFL Rewind on mine and use the Splashtop App - which are things none of my other devices can do.

18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Do these boxes have access to premium streaming apps when attached to a TV? They would need some kind of licensing agreement which most of these media players don't have.

My GS7 has been getting better recently. All it really needs is a better video player and that doesn't require a total OS upgrade but does require access to different library calls. The dropping of Flash might be more problematic than I have thought. A lot of stuff depends on it in the current box. This might very well be one reason for Sony's conservative approach to coming out with an upgrade. They can't come out with an upgrade which diminishes the content.

It's not as though the media player world is moving quickly ahead with vast improvements. The only real developments have come from Microsoft with the XBox One and that is not really a media player. Chromecast is neat but kind of a scaled down AirPlay. You can get Avia on the current GTV's to provide you with some of the functionality. I think one just needs to be patient in all of this. We aren't in the phone world where there's a new model coming out every month.

Philip

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  19. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Well the fact that they can be rooted is not a plus in this case. It just means that the premium streamers will be reluctant to license them.

Philip

20. jonw747

They pretend to be a tablet. If they were actually mainstream, maybe they couldn't get away with it, or the media providers would be working harder to shut them out - but for instance I can run the NFL Rewind App on my Android dongle. I can't do that with my other connected streaming devices.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013