Quantcast

Netflix to out bid Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Rickaren, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Google has so far handed Netflix the streaming industry on a silver platter. (Wonder why this is on an middle-aging womens site..strange demographic for such a story).

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

That site appears to be a parroting blog...here's a more original story:
    Netflix offering $100K for TV episodes - NYPOST.com

One of the more interesting points, to me:
    "With Netflix ready to put its money where its mouth is -- and a host of rivals such as Apple and Google's YouTube also in the hunt -- a war is breaking out over who controls streaming rights to current episodes.
    The studios that supply the networks with shows argue they own the streaming rights to in-season shows. But the broadcast networks that make a profit from repeats -- and stand to lose audiences, ad dollars and syndication revenue if viewers can see those same episodes on Netflix -- argue they control the rights.
    "It's a big source of friction," said one TV executive familiar with discussions. "There are no agreements [on control of rights], but I think it will trend toward the networks being in charge of selling in-season in first run, and beyond that, the studio."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/primetime_netflix_OMIP3b4KmH8odXiLSickCN#ixzz17B6aEpzM

With Roku's 'Channel' model, and GTV's 'App' model, studios could 'do their own thing' and create/market content directly to consumer via channel/apps, much like music artists are now doing. It will be a big mess for some time to come, though.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Yes "will be a big mess for some time to come, though" for those that want to watch season shows streamed. I may be out-of-the-loop here but I bought my Google TV box to view programs and items NOT shown on regular TV. Hell I have two HD DVRs that can record five programs at the same time and an additional backup hard drive for storage. My purchase was to add to my our viewing choices like YOU TUBE Video and Amazon Video On Demand or Google Search. I have already streamed two programs and the price paid to Amazon was far less than DISH or DirecTV charges for downloads to their DVRs, and they did not have either available! Picture quality was fantastic and the audio was decent. If I really wanted to watch a missed regular TV show that was not available on GTV I guess I could view it on my desktop or laptop for free. I would think this "Free Stuff" may just come to an end even if it is presently that way, "On Line".

Wife's usually don't like or understand electronic "Toys", but my Wife was very impressed viewing a streamed program that was only available from Amazon, costing a whopping .99 cents in 1080P. She wants to see another movie when it is released in January (Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest) from Amazon that will cost only $3.99. The previously two movies of this trilogy we traveled out-of-town to view costing us $14 for the afternoon tickets. She said why leave the house, save money and time, and purchase it here!

Google TV could be the future, if only the public would understand it.

5. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Yes I have one (Revue), limited right now but potentially could be the future with Android and many apps to come. And Google has deep pockets!

I have another streaming device (LG BD590), one thing I've found very interesting about the Revue is that Netflix and Pandora seem to work better through the Revue than my 590. Not sure why (better apps?), only connect difference is that I have the Revue connected HDMI for video to my HDTV, and audio connected via digital audio cable to my AVR (BTW - I do get Dolby Digital audio connected this way!). My 590 is connected HDMI out to my AVR for both video/audio.

6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Bad press or good press, It's still all in the " news "...
    That's what they want.. [​IMG]