Quantcast

Netflix Titles

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chicha29, Dec 18, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Netflix seems to be the topic of the day!

Searching on Netflix for the Macaulay Culkin film "Home Alone", I came up empty. I was under the impression that Netflix had the most extensive film library on the internet. This film was made in 1990, so I'm surprised it's not available.

I was hoping to be able to subscribe to just one service, but I guess that's not possible. I'll check Amazon and Vudu now to see if it's in their library.

Edit: Amazon Prime has it, but at an additional fee to the Amazon Prime subscription! At least with Netflix, after you pay for the subscription, all the movies are free. Vudu has a terrible interface that does not work well with the GTV Revue.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

“Home Alone” is available on DVD form Netflix – also available at Amazon instant VOD if you have Amazon Acc, you could watch it now on Revue.

Cheers!

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Netflix needs to improve its search interface. I searched for Home Alone with and without quotation marks. The first result was the movie Uncle Buck. Nowhere else in the search results did it mention the movies' availability in DVD format. Besides, movies through the mail is last years technology.
    https://signup.netflix.com/Search?v1="home+alone"

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

They do but they don't keep every title available online indefinitely. They still have to adhere to licensing agreements. For example, Zombieland was only available on Netflix for three weeks then they took it down. "Streaming Central | FeedFliks.com" is a site that will show you Netflix titles in four categories; Coming Soon To Streaming, Just Arrived on Streaming, Expiring Soon, and Too Late!

That's because a little while back Netflix decided to split the DVD service from the streaming service. Even though the idea of "Qwickster" never came to light, the repercussion of splitting the DVD service from the streaming remains.

• Like Like x 4
  5. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Regarding the licensing agreements, the licensor is licensing the streaming of a movie for a fee. When the licensing agreement ends, do they go looking for another licensee??? If so, that's crazy. Presumably, there is a licensee (Netflix)) ready, willing and able to market streamed movies. Does the licensor expect to get twice the dollars that Netflix pays from another licensee? Not. Near-perpetual licensing agreements ought to be the norm in this business.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes. I think you're just now getting a better understanding of the business. It is not actually crazy but heavily monetized. If you think that's wacky, read why Netflix is no longer going to provide content from Starz next year. It wasn't because Netflix was willing to pay them a ridiculous lump sum for their content. It was because Starts was insisting for Netflix to charge a premium to access their content. Yes, their proposed licensing agreement dictated how Netflix charged their own customers.

Heh. Well, it depends on the situation actually. I think in the case of Sony Pictures with Zombieland, they wanted it available for a short period of time to give it a positive influence on sales of the DVD or Blu-Ray. It worked for me, I thought it was a good movie and end up buying it at the local Wal-Mart.

I think it would be available if the someone was willing to afford to pay for it. However, the overall cost would be too extensive and would reflect an enormous increase in the subscription fees. This is pure capitalism, basic supply and demand. The owners want to achieve as much value from their content as possible. This means that they have to ensure that is not too easily accessible.

7. Mar

Mar New Member

Content owners don't see it that way. Their view is that scarcity fuels demand. They want to make money from their content in as many places as possible. Licensing a film to Netflix for one month of every year provides opportunities to license to cable channels for other months of the year, as well as licensing to Amazon VOD, where viewers pay for each view of a stream. In addition, limiting availability on Netlix means that Netflix subscribers who want to see that film again 3 months after the license window could be motivated to buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pittsoccer33

pittsoccer33 New Member

Look at the alternative streaming costs for movies. Services like Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, Cinemanow, Alphaline, MSO On Demand, etc all charge $3-$6 per movie. The price isn't just a huge amount of profit to the provider, it includes what is charged to them by the movie studios.

If I'm 20th Century Fox, I am going to charge a premium to rent/stream Home Alone this month. Thats when there will be demand for it. I'd want at least $2 per viewing, so that prices it right out of Netflix's $8ish per month.

In mid July is when I'd accept much lower fees per viewing.