Quantcast

Netflix Super HD / 3D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Djinn5150, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Just wondering if anyone out there is using an ISP supporting Netflix's SuperHD, if so what are your thoughts and experiences? I would really like to see Netflix GTV get updated to support SuperHD/3D. But I could always use my PS3 :)

2. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

My ISP supports SuperHD... works great with our Revue. The picture is very sharp, looks great!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

That is good to hear, wasn't even sure if the GTV devices would support the SuperHD, hopefully 3D is supported too, guess I need to get on my ISP now, as big as Charter is I had hoped they already joined up but no such luck :cool: Thanks for your response!

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You see any titles in “Super HD”?
    I think “Super HD” titles should show up regardless your ISP support it or not, btw.

5. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well I have yet to see the logo on any of my devices, and of course my ISP is not supporting Open Connect yet, If anyone can provide a title that is available on SuperHD I will check on everything I have that will work 1080p.

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

In my other devices, [Super HD] logo replaced almost all HD logos.
    According to Co-Star's "YouTube video", the movie "101 Dalmatians" is one???

7. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Well either they have a check built into the API for "connect partners", or its not, just checked on my GTV (LGG2, costar is on a tv that only does 1080i) and my PS3 and neither show the SuperHD logo. I guess unblock.us supports the superHD, maybee i will try a 1 week trial and see if things magically appear, maybe the all powerfull oz will jump into my devices and magically make things work :D

8. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Imagine that...setup a trial of unblock-us and go figure, there were the wonderful SuperHD Logos, now if I can find a 3D title...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Ok checked out the PS3, it now shows the 3D logos for 3D Titles as well as the SuperHD, However when attempting to playback I am getting a "This title is not available instantly" for 3D, Which I am sure has something to do with either my network speed or the fact I am using unblock-us. Oh well at least I found out a few things.

1. The LG G2 is not a supported 3D capable device as far as Netflix is concerned.
    2. Netflix's API performs a check to see if your ISP are part of "Open Connect"

It's never a failure if you learn something valuable!

10. googlethis

googlethis New Member

My Sony NSZGS7 is now showing SuperHD on Netflix. We have Cox Cable for an isp. I went here to verify that Cox is now ready for SuperHD. https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I wonder if Comcast will ever sign on for this. They have their own Streampix service - and likely view Netflix Super HD as competition. Time Warner also has some qualms with Netflix about their Open Connect Service:

In The Fight Between Netflix And Cable Operators, High-Quality Streaming Video Is Being Held Hostage | TechCrunch

From the article:

"The whole point of Netflix's Open Connect is to relieve that strain and to make delivery of high-quality video more efficient for all parties involved. And doing so makes ultra high-quality and 3D video delivery more affordable and actually kind of tenable. In that sense, providing access to providers who are willing to directly peer with Netflix and cache locally only makes sense.

But making sense doesn't always count when you're an incumbent video provider and you have a smaller competitor nipping at your heels with a lower-priced offering. Netflix already takes up about a quarter of all peak downstream traffic.

Even so, Netflix can't match the quality that can be delivered via coax - not over IP - and Time Warner Cable and other incumbent providers have little incentive to enable it to do so. By installing Open Connect boxes free of charge and peering with Netflix, cable companies would basically be giving it the tools to also offer comparable picture quality. But why would they?"

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  12. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Yea I have a friend that is annoyed Comcast won't get on board. I am actually pretty surprised Cox has done this but glad they did.