Quantcast

Netflix reverted since Revue update

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by snookums, Dec 15, 2011.

1. snookums

snookums New Member

Has anyone else noticed the Netflix app has now gone back to the version that we got with the original Revue? It's a crap interface. Why did Logitech downgrade it?

When are we finally going to get Netflix on the market, so we can get updates?

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Netflix App (ver. 3.1.3) as same as after Revue GTV 2.0 update!!

See Tips here --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-gtv2-0-ui-pq-netflix-apps-quick-review.html

Cheers!

3. Mar

Mar New Member

Mine didn't revert, but I wish it would, because I liked the old version better. It's too easy to get dozens of clicks away from the app's home with the post-update version.

4. snookums

snookums New Member

Well, mine says 3.1.3. I don't know that the previous version number was, but this seems like a step back in terms of the interface. It looks more like the original version of Netflix, which the Revue shipped with. There's a red bar on the right side that shows descriptions. It actually looks a lot like the Wii version that I used to use.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is the original Netflix layout that came with Google TV.
    This is the version that came with the December 15th, 2010 update.
    This is what it looks like for the November 23rd, 2011 update.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  6. snookums

snookums New Member

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the first pic. I was thinking of the last, which is basically a copy of the Wii interface. Hence, my memory fused. The thing is that I never liked it on the Wii. I want something like the current interface on my Transformer. There's really a lot of wasted space in this ui. Do we really need all that space on the right taken up with the description?

7. stonefeet

stonefeet New Member

i like the new look.

now if i could just get something to play............

8. dzg

dzg New Member

I hate the new design ... is there any way to go back to pre-3.1 ?

9. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

I've just got the Logitech Revue 3.1 update ant the native Netflix application is now broken as a result, (either that, or Comcast is blocking the traffic). After four calls to Netflix support, finally they admitted they're having issues with th LR and 3.1. I was told they're passing my info. over to their 'Research Department' who will look into it. There is no ETA as to when this will be resolved. I told them they have a week to fix it after which I'll be cancelling my subscription. I'm wondering how they will be able to push fixes when the application is not on Android Market and seems to be associated with Logitech firmware upgrades, and Logitech has all but abandoned this device.

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

See Netflix & Troubleshooting Tips here --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-gtv2-0-ui-pq-netflix-apps-quick-review.html

Good Luck!

11. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Looks like it sputtered into life this afternoon. I'd like to think that someone at Netflix or at Logitech had to work this weekend to fix this. Just to clarify the troubleshooting steps I had to go through before determining that the issue was actually due to the Netflix app. and/or the server-side: 1. Deactivate the Netflix app (association with the device) by keying in an obscure series of key strokes and then power off/on the Revue - reenter the Netflix app and log in - didn't work. 2. The Netflix rep/ told me that the issues was something to do with DNS and licensing - some sort of protection kicking in from people illegally copying Netflix movies - I told him I wasn't doing any of that and he said he'd fix it. c) Next day, same thing - I was told to completely disconnect my Internet and router for 30 mins and then try again - that didn't work either d) Finally the admission that other people have reported similar issues with the LR @ v3.1.
    Finally five hours later I tried again and the streaming progress bar went beyond the 25% mark, got to 100%, started playing the title and then about 10 minutes in stopped with the same error as before. Tried again and this time successfully played the title. So, Netflix, you still have my subscription - just...

12. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Specifically what error do you get? Is this similar to the issue I reported where the player says "We're sorry but we are having trouble playing that title..."? Or do you get a different error message?

The last time I called Netflix they claimed they were totally unaware of any issues on their end and were totally unwilling to talk about the player itself. Good that you seem to have gotten them to admit that they at least are aware of an issue.

In my case, it hasn't happened for about a day. I don't consider it resolved yet.... just lurking in the wings.

Paul

13. stonefeet

stonefeet New Member

i've tried all the suggested fixes and it's still the same thing, i've notice that if you just keep trying the title will play eventually (aka: the persistance workaround)

no issues at all with the ps3 on the same network, the netflix interface is exactly the same on ps3

14. 135David

135David New Member

I am getting the "We're sorry but we are having trouble playing that title..." message. It seems to pop up mostly when I am doing something with the remote keyboard such as ajusting the volume. I noticed on the Netflix site they no longer have a setup link for the Logitech Revue.

I contacted Logitech support about the promlem and they sent me the following:

Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care
    regarding your Logitech Revue. I understand that you are experiencing
    difficulties using your Netflix application after the Android 3.1 update.
    Logitech is aware that a number of users are experiencing similar issues with
    Netflix. I apologize for the inconvenience and I'm happy to look into this
    further for you.

David, in order to isolate the root cause of the issue, it is imperative that
    we ensure all the necessary steps have been covered. I have therefore provided
    you with a comprehensive set of instructions to follow. Kindly perform these
    steps in order and detail the results of each major step - be it successful or
    not - in your reply.

STEP 1: Ensure that other Netflix Activated Devices are Working

If you have other Netflix Activated Devices (such as a Netflix-ready Bluray
    Player or a Playstation 3) please ensure that these devices are currently
    working. For troubleshooting purposes, please do not include your computer, as
    it accesses Netflix services in a different way.

RESULT:
    =============================================

STEP 2: Clear Netflix Application Cache and Data

1. Navigate to the Google TV Home Screen (If in doubt, press the 'Home' Key)
    2. Select the 'All Apps'
    3. Select 'Settings'
    4. Select 'Applications'
    5. Select 'Manage Applications'
    6. Use the directional arrow to scroll until you see Netflix, then select it
    (You can also type 'N' to jump alphabetically )
    7. Select 'Force Stop' and press 'OK' when prompted
    8. Select 'Clear Data' and press 'OK' when prompted
    9. Select 'Clear Cache' (if available)
    10. Restart the Revue by pressing and holding the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at
    the same time
    11. Attempt to sign into Netflix again once the Revue has rebooted

RESULT:

STEP 3: Deactivate the Netflix Application on the Logitech Revue

NOTE: The following only applies if you are able to log into your Netflix
    application. If the failure is happening prior to logging in please disregard
    this step.

1. Enter the following code using the directional keys on your Keyboard
    Controller (this needs to be done fairly quickly):

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up

2. Select 'Deactivate' on the Netflix Application information screen
    3. Confirm your decision to deactivate
    4. Restart the Revue by pressing and holding the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at
    the same time
    5. Attempt to sign into Netflix again once the Revue has rebooted

RESULT:

STEP 3: Deactivate the Revue from your Netflix Account

Please try removing the Logitech Revue as an authorized Netflix device from
    your Netflix account. To do so, please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to Netflix
    on your
    computer
    2. Log into your Netflix account
    3. Click on 'Your Account & Help' link located in the upper-right
    4. Click on 'Manage Netflix ready devices and computers'
    5. Click on the 'Deactivate' button
    6. Confirm that you want to deactivate the devices

NOTE: Netflix indicates that Deactivation can take up to 30 minutes to take
    effect in their system, so please wait before trying to log into your Netflix
    account again. Also note that you may need to log back into your Netflix
    account on all your devices after Deactivation.

RESULT:

STEP 4: Factory Reset the Logitech Revue

1. Go to the Google TV Home Screen
    2. Select 'All Apps'
    3. Select 'Settings'
    4. Choose 'Privacy & Safety'
    5. Select 'Factory Data Reset'
    6. Select 'Reset Device'
    7. Confirm that you want to erase all data

The Revue should now reboot and walk you through configuring your basic Revue
    settings again. Ideally, at this point all pre-existing account data should be
    cleared, which is the goal. If you are given the option to restore from backup,
    please do not, as it will be counterproductive in this case. Once you have
    configured your Revue, please try launching the Netflix application and logging
    in with your credentials.

NOTE: This process will clear your personal information and any apps you have
    downloaded

RESULT:

STEP 5: Perform Network Speed Test with Revue

To ensure that you continue to have a valid Internet connection after the
    Netflix application is launched, and that this connection meets the minimum
    requirements for the new Netflix app, please perform the following steps on
    your Revue:

1. Go to the Google TV Home Screen
    2. Select 'All Apps'
    3. Find 'Google Chrome' and launch this application
    4. Navigate to the following URL using the address bar that appears at the top
    of the screen: speedtest.net
    5. Click 'Begin Test'
    6. Note the Download Speed (in Mbps)
    7. Note the Upload Speed (in Mbps)
    8. Note the Ping value (in ms)

RESULT:

STEP 6: Connect directly to Modem

NOTE: You may disregard this step if you have a Modem/Router combo provided by
    your ISP

We have recently found that some customers do not encounter problems accessing
    Netflix when connecting the Logitech Revue directly to the Modem. This suggests
    a problem with the communication between the Router and the new Netflix
    application introduced with the "Honeycomb" Android 3.1 update. By connecting
    your Revue directly to your Modem with an Ethernet cable, we can isolate the
    issue.

1. Disable Wi-Fi on your Revue:
    A) From the Google TV Home Screen, select 'All Apps'
    B) Locate and select 'Settings'
    C) Select 'Network'
    D) Choose 'Wi-Fi'
    E) Uncheck 'Wi-Fi' to disable

2. Connect the Modem directly to the Ethernet port on the Logitech Revue
    (instead of the Router)
    3. Power-cycle your Modem and Revue;

A) Unplug your Modem and Revue from power
    B) Plug in your Modem and wait 30 seconds
    C) Plug in your Revue and wait for it to boot up to the Google TV Home Screen

4. Connect your Revue to your network:

A) From the Google TV Home Screen, select 'All Apps'
    B) Locate and select 'Settings'
    C) Select 'Network'
    D) Choose 'Ethernet'
    E) Select 'Set'

5. Attempt to sign into Netflix again once the application has restarted

RESULT:

I greatly appreciate your patience and understanding, David. Your detailed
    response will provide us with valuable information in our effort to work with
    Netflix (the application developer) to understand the root of the problem and
    to correct it quickly.

If you have any further questions please feel free to reply to this email so
    that we may be able to continue assisting you.

Thank you once again for contacting Logitech Customer Care.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Logitech Customer Care

None of these steps solved my problem. I would go back to the old Revue software if I had that option. I am puzzled that there isn't more mention of this issue on the internet.

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Btw, the message ..."We're sorry but we are having trouble playing that title..." - is a common message displays on any Netflix streaming device, it may display when there is an issue w/ Netflix server associated w/the streaming device. (it usually happens once in a great time & clears up in a day or so)

However, if what you saying - it happens all the time, every time you stream a title from Netflix when you press the keyboard!!

Try this,

Is your connection wireless or wired?

• It could be interference - change Router channel /frequency
    • Change keyboard battery.
    • Reboot Modem/Router.
    • Connect directly to a modem (if available)
    • Try changing DNS in Router - to Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) or open DNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) - (this option is for advance users)

Tip: Reboot Modem/Router

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  16. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Interesting. I see that one of their steps was to deactivate the Netflix account and then re-activate. I have not actually done that but I noticed a couple days ago that I had to sign in again. I wonder if they did something that deactivated the account on their end, forcing people to sign in again.

In any event, the player has not failed in maybe three days.

I called Netflix today to clarify a gift I was giving and after we did that, I asked about Revue problems. He said that he had no information re: a solution and wasn't even aware that there was a problem. He checked his troubleshooting notes and only found the standard stuff. Nowhere near as comprehensive as the above. Which was WAY more than what was in the Email they sent me in response to my several calls.

Paul

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  17. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

In case I didn't mention it, the equivalent thread on the Logitech Revue forum is here: forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/netflix-won-t-connect/td-p/752576 . After changing my local LAN IP address to static, the titles do stream eventually after two or three tries. I have a wired connection running at about 6Mbit/s +, and apparently, according to Netflix the minimum speed is 1.5Mbit/s. One representative told me that they were seeing < 1.5Mbit/s on their end, even though I was getting ~20 MBit/second with a speed test my end - this led me to speculate that my ISP Comcast was throttling, but since Netflix works perfectly well in HD streaming to my PC, I have discounted that theory.
    I remain convinced this is an issue with the Netflix application itself as all my other streaming Revue applications such as Redux and YouTube work perfectly fine. The Netflix representatives all seem to have a different story when it comes to this issue and not surprisingly as they don't have any sort of ticketing system to track incidents (I was not given any reference number for my issue when I phoned even after asking for one). There was an acknowledgement from Netflix that there is an issue with the Revue at 3.1 from one representative but another guy later told me that that had been fixed. According to the Logitech forum, they are gathering information about the problem to pass on to Netflix.

18. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

See how --> Tip: To Avoid Netflix Error Messages --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ix-apps-quick-review-post22858.html#post22858

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  19. 135David

135David New Member

I was finding that when I ajusted the volume using the keyboard remote the streaming was interupted. Logitech sent me the following instructions which solved my problem:

See if re-pairing the keyboard with the Revue improve the results? (Please see steps below)

Unpairing your Logitech Keyboard controller:

1. From the Google TV Home screen press the menu button (this is the button with the 4 horizontal lines to the right of the space bar)
    2. Select System Settings
    3. Select Input Devices
    4. Select Manage Paired Devices
    5. Click on the K700 keyboard controller
    6. Click on Unpair
    7. Click on Unpair (to confirm)

Pairing your Keyboard controller to the Revue:

1. Turn Off your keyboard controller
    2. Press (but do not hold) the Pair/ Reset button on the Back of the Revue
    3. Turn On your Keyboard controller
    4. Enter the numbers provided