Quantcast

Netflix removing “Add to DVD Queue”

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Rickaren, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Netflix removing “Add to DVD Queue” option from streaming apps

January 18, 2011 | by Andrew Kameka

[​IMG]
    Netflix was the second most disappointing app when I first connected my Google TV, but I was eventually pleased to see an update that completely refreshed the user interface of the Netflix for GTV app. Sadly, the company is set to send-out another update that will make me hate the app all over again.

The official Netflix Blog announced that all streaming apps will remove the ability to add to DVD queues from the app. The (nonsensical) reason for this is because Netflix thinks managing DVD queues anywhere other than Netflix.com is too complicated and distracts from the streaming experience. So instead of pressing two buttons for a simple way to add items to your watch list, it will be easier to spend 15 minutes going to a computer, searching, and adding to the list there.

Is Netflix taking this course because the current set-up remind customers just how limited the streaming service can be? I recently discovered a quirky British comedy named The IT Crowd that I loved and attempted to watch in its entirety. But for some strange reason, I had to skip a season because it’s available on DVD only. Rather than pressing one button to add it to my queue like I did this Sunday, I have to go to my computer to search for and manage it. This is more annoying than the 2-4 day wait period it takes for the DVD to arrive at my house. (edit: or exit theNetflix app, go into Chrome, and then return to Netflix.)

Netflix has been the brightest star in my Google TV galaxy and I hope the company recognizes that this is a bad move. More than 300 comments have been left on the blog post announcing this change. Let you’re opposition or support for this move be known on the Netflix blog.
    [​IMG]

SOURCE

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey,that picture is of a PS3 netflix app not a Google tv app!

3. harley man

harley man New Member

wow what fool is in charge over there !

4. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

HDTV Almanac - Netflix Limits Access to DVD Queue

by Alfred Poor on January 18, 2011

Bottom line: Netflix really wants out of the physical DVD business. And the company is doing its best to hasten its exit.

It has been widely reported that the company’s director of product management, Jamie Odell, announced that subscribers will no longer be able to add DVD titles to their queue using network media players, connected TVs and Blu-ray players, or mobile devices. If you want to add a title to your physical DVD queue, you’ll have to do it the old-fashioned way: go to the Web site. The only reason to do this is to make it more difficult to manage your physical DVD queue, and drive more people to use the streaming service.

While this is sure to upset some subscribers, it sends a strong statement about the company’s plans. And it makes even more sense when you combine this with the announcement at CES that new remote controls for connected TVs, connected Blu-ray players, and network media players from major manufacturers will start sporting a big red Netflix button that takes you directly to the service with a single click.
    [​IMG]
    My concern with this emphasis on streaming to the exclusion of physical discs is that the service is not quite ready to be the equivalent of the mailed disc service. You can’t get high definition streams for the majority of titles, and the streaming title selection is not nearly as good as what you can get from the local Redbox for a buck. (Or a buck-fifty for HD Blu-ray.) Netflix seems to be playing a game of chicken, betting that it can come up with enough money to convince the studios and other content producers to let them have more current content. The risk is that some better alternative could come along, or the studios could simply decide to cut them off from the “good stuff”. Netflix has negotiated some impressive agreements with some smaller, quality studios, but they don’t have enough of the big titles on the streaming service yet.

SOURCE

5. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

They are exactly the same app...lol

6. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Not on my Sony 40" GTV, the UI is completely different then the PS3. That pic show's a green triangle in the top right corner, do you have a green triangle on your GTV remote....lol

7. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I'll give you the green triangle...but last time I turned on netflix on my PS3 it was identical to the last update on the GTV.

8. sheth.varun

sheth.varun New Member

not possible gentle fury i have been following netlfix blog and also asked the same question on this forum netflix does not have instant queue or dvd queue on grtv still and the UI is completely different from that of ps3 or wii or xbox