Quantcast

Netflix player "We're having trouble playing this title right now" error

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by pgoelz, Dec 14, 2011.

1. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

I tried searching and I don't see anyone else reporting this so maybe it is just me. Before the update, the Netflix player in the Revue worked 100% flawlessly. Not a single glitch. But after the update, it seems to randomly stop with a "We're having trouble playing this title right now" error. It seems a little more likely if I have paused for a long time, but it sometimes happens spontaneously during playback as well. If I click OK and then resume playback, it always restarts and USUALLY plays OK from there onward.

I am on Comcast and my connection tests out at between 10Mb/s and 20Mb/s depending on destination. I get similar results from the Speakeasy Speed Test site on a WiFi connected PC as well as using Chrome on the Revue.... they seem pretty close. The Revue is hard wired to the router and WiFi is disabled on the Revue.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

Paul

2. Pailhead

Pailhead New Member

I've had the same issue with Netflix the last two days. However, sometimes it restarts at the beginning. Other times it picks up where I left off. I'm running at similar speeds as you...usually between 12-15Mb/s. I never had any issues with Netflix until the update.

3. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

Having this issue as well.

Sent from my Revue using Tapatalk

4. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

I had this problem and it was a conflict with an app I downloaded. I removed app restarted box and Netflix was healed. Pretty strange.

5. andmib

andmib New Member

This is also happening to me for quite a few videos.

6. supertech30

supertech30 New Member

I had the same problem. I have fixed it by going to the manage apps in settings go to the netflix app and do a clear all data. This will wipe all netflix data, you will have to re enter your account info. This worked for me and the problem as not come back.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pdmj

pdmj New Member

I followed the solution given by supertech30 and it resolved my problem.

8. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Whoa, interesting responses. Turns out that at least in my case, the culprit was NOT the Revue. The culprit was (and still is) Comcast. There is some sort of major issue going on and Comcast seems to think it is between my modem and the pole. Ping plots show normal propagation interspersed with massive packet loss. The packet loss begins at the first hop after my router and is identical on each subsequent hop. That would seem to indict either my modem or the first hop. They are rolling a truck tomorrow morning.

One oddity is that if I remove the router and plug a PC directly into the modem, the packet loss is much better. Not perfect but much better. BUT.... I have a Linksys WRT54G and a Netgear WNR3500. I can put one or the other in the circuit and they both behave the same so I don't think it is a bad router.

I noticed that at least one other of you is in MI. I wonder how large the affected area is.

Paul

9. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Just another data point.... my network issues continue. Speed looks OK but packet loss is through the roof. But the Netflix player in the Revue actually manages to play OK today. I suspect it has a very large buffer and manages to keep it full enough for smooth HD playback in spite of the packet loss.

So.... if you are having buffering issues, your network is probably in pretty bad shape.

Comcast is due here in a couple hours.....

Paul

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  11. Zapper

Zapper New Member

Yep, I, too, am having this issue...

As previously stated... Netflix worked 100% correctly PRE-update and now... I get this error about 5-15 minutes into any given show...

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Comcast has come and gone. They checked my signals and found them to be fine so they replaced my modem. For a while all looked OK and then the packet loss began again. Since things looked better when I bypassed the router (although I am pretty sure the router is OK), I replaced it with a Netgear WNDR3700 and lo and behold, the packet loss is gone. However, I notice that the IP of the first hop after my router has changed...... maybe there really was a network issue and they just bypassed it?

The odd thing is that even when Pingplotter was showing massive packet loss, speed tests were OK.

As for the correlation between the Netflix playback issues and the update, it looks like a coincidence. That, or they changed the way they cache videos in such a way as to be more sensitive to intermittent data flow.

Paul

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Congrat!

Netflx now supports 1080p/5.1 audio, a good router won’t hurt!

15. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

Anyone else besides me still having this problem?

16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

17. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Whoa, that didn't sink in right away. Are you saying that the Honeycomb update increased the Netflix playback quality from where it was on 2.1? What's the chance the little CPU just can't keep up with 1080p playback? That would explain why no one seems to think anything is "wrong" but we continue to have sporadic playback issues.

I wonder if there is a way to reduce the quality and decrease the CPU load? I don't see one. But then, I have been assuming the Revue uses hardware decoding, so a higher playback quality should not impact the CPU..... much??

Near as I can tell, this is NOT a buffering issue.

Paul

18. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Yes, Sign-in to your Netflix Account - from Acc - Change quality.(Default is set to high)

19. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

No disrespect meant, but I have no idea why you keep posting this.

• Like Like x 2
  20. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Nope. Default is low (at least mine was), and according to Netflix the setting only applies to SD. HD titles do not obey that setting. Again, according to Netflix.

I have reset it to high with no impact on issues but I had most of my Netflix issues while it was set to low.

Paul