Quantcast

Netflix on Android

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by srheug, Mar 21, 2011.

1. srheug

srheug New Member

NETFLIX!

I know this is a googletv forum. I've posted here before, but I'm really confused. I have had a logitech revue for several months and am happy as can be with it. I'm a bit of a Google/Android fan. I have an android phone and just got a new xoom android tablet. Why is it that everywhere else but on googletv we are being told that Netflix doesn't run on android?

I believe the logitech revue is an android device and netflix seems to be running just fine. What's going on. How come on android phones and the xoom, we are all being told that Netflix doesn't run on android?

Does anyone know the answer?

2. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

The reason is bad streaming on the android platform.

The other reason is that Andorid is an open platform and streaming services require the platform to be closed. If google closes the platform then netfix may follow.

3. srheug

srheug New Member

Again, I don't understand, isn't the logitech revue, running android? If so, netflix is running on android.

4. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

The Netflix for Android App is already prepared and near a release date. I have it loaded on my phone now, but it does not stream yet (awaiting a switch to be flicked!). Navigation on my queue and search works great, and looks well beyond beta, imho. All we can do is wait. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. srheug

srheug New Member

Thanks alphawave7 for the reply.

6. galfert

galfert Active Member

Alphawave7 is correct but there is more to this. From what I've read the LG Revolution was demonstrated to be running the Netflix application at Mobile World Congress conference in Spain in February. But the news that came out of that event is that not all Android phones will be able to run this Netflix application for streaming as it will be limited to certain phones with certain processors that Netflix feels safe in trusting their DRM. Now if you visit XDA-Developers forum those folks might be able figure out other work arounds, and that forum will probably provide more answers in this matter than what you'll find here. Incidentally you can download the Netflix app for your phone from XDA (they leaked it) but it won't work for streaming (yet). Although there are reports from the past day that the application got an update and streaming worked and then just as fast as it came it the capability went away. So Netflix is working on it. It shouldn't be long.

Google TV runs a Netflix app because it uses an Intel Atom processor and well Google TV was designed to manage this Netflix DRM from inception.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  7. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

That's exactly correct, and more specifically, only phones running Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor have the ability pass through the complex approval process required by Netflix. The major question in my mind is, will the existing phones running Snapdragon (like my phone, the Droid Incredible) have this security or will it be limited to the newer phones running Snapdragon (Inc2, Thunderbolt, Revolution, etc)?

Source: Qualcomm's Snapdragon Platform to Help Enable Instant Streaming from Netflix on Android Devices