Quantcast

Netflix inoperable since newest firmware update of 40 inch Sony Google TV HELP!

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by theluckiest2775, Dec 28, 2010.

1. theluckiest2775

theluckiest2775 New Member

We bought my parents a new Sony Google TV a month and a half ago. It worked great. That is until last week. 5 days ago my parents installed the Google update. Nothing that is listed in the update release info has happened. Dual view is the same. However NETFLIX app starts and then is only a black screen for 30 sec-1min. After which 1 out of 3 times it says "server error" and then gives option to retry or cancel. The other times it just stays black. I have gone through Netflix and they say to contact Sony. Sony operators sent me to three different support groups and have said the LAB is working on it. So still not working and no options.

My parents are talking to Best Buy about a return or exchange on a different tv on their extended warranty. I find this sad. We were the first Google TV bought at our local Best Buy, and this is the service we get. We have sat through the lack of HULU and the loss of broadcast channels, but to have the TV vendor and partner tell us there is no known fix is unacceptable. They said we can't back up to the other firmware, and that there is no way to uninstall and reinstall the NETFLIX app. That all software is permanent on the TV. I find that rather shortsighted.

So if anyone has a real fix (soft reset and factory reset were said to not be able to fix per reps) please let me know.

Thank you
    DG

2. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi DG,

So sorry you've encountered this problem. I'll pass this on to our team. Just to clarify-- you're saying that after the TV took the update, you still weren't able to resize or move the Dual View box? Has the Netflix app ever loaded properly?

Could you confirm what build the TV is on? You'll find this under Settings > About > Build number.

Thanks,
    Daniel

3. theluckiest2775

I thought I replied earlier. But it isnt showing up.
    Just to clarify. NETFLIX and all other aspects worked great until the update.
    Speed test showed 12mb, could open webpages, and even streamed with Crackle.
    Also the Dual View is not there. Just the regular non sizable PIP.

Thank you for your help
    DG

4. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Okay, thanks. So, since the update, Netflix has never loaded properly?

If you're able to get that build number, that will be helpful in figuring out what's going on.

You said that the reps you talked to told you that a soft reboot and a factory reset wouldn't help? I'd say absolutely try the soft reboot (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) if you haven't already. If you don't mind doing a factory reset, I would certainly also give this a try before returning the TV. This will re-update the TV and may fix the problem.

Settings > About > Factory data reset

Good luck,
    Daniel

• Like Like x 2
  5. theluckiest2775

Great. I will try those two options.

I will get the build number and try these things sometime in next 24 hours or so. I will post the information.

Thanks
    DG

6. theluckiest2775

Firmware Version: 2.1-update 1
    Build: ogm_2.1_2010120903ON.164108

I confirmed with parents that they havent had NETFLIX since probably mid December.

Will try reset tomorrow.

Thanks
    DG

Thanks

7. theluckiest2775

Reset worked for the NETFLIX issue. Now though the internet app is not able to support any Flash. Getting "Shockwave Flash plug in error" and did not load message. I am getting Flash errors on Yahoo, CNN, Espn, etc...
    Can anyone tell me why this would be happening? Need assistance please.
    Parents are ready to take into Best Buy tomorrow for a Samsung. Trying to help them and explain issues.

Thanks
    DG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. lkramm

lkramm New Member

If it helps, I cannot get Netflix to connect consistantly either. I bought a 46" Google TV from Best Buy Christmas Eve and it got installed Jan 10th. Hasn't worked consistantly since them. Talked to customer support dozens of times. Went thru firmware version, build version, ect. I've done cntl/alt/delete and Netflix connects for a few days, then, out of the blue, won't connect. Done a system reset, works for a few days, then it stops working. Went thru Application Management and deleted data for the Netflix app. It works for a few days, then it stops working. Very frustrating and not what we wanted. Support beyond customer service is only open buiness hours and days so it takes a week or two before I can get a couple hours during business hours. I've gone to level 2 support. Now I need to go to level 3 support when I get time. I was told by level 2 support that when customer service reads my case # I will be transferred to level 3 support. There are no direct phone numbers. I'm very seriously thinking of returning the Sony TV and getting another brand.

9. Peabody

Peabody New Member

I know it has been some time since you posted this, but I had a similar problem with Netflix hanging on a black screen. I was able to access recovery mode found through this forum's post. Google TV hack! [Archive] - xda-developers

I don't know if the steps will be applicable for the television version, I have the stand alone blu ray box but it's working for me now after several frustrating interactions with customer service.

10. TDavidFranklin

TDavidFranklin New Member

My Netflix stopped working on Saturday April 30th. I called Logitech/Revue support and they said it is a "Known Issue".
    Calls into Netflix said it's not their problem. I have been a Google TV user since it became available a long time ago.
    Suddenly it stops working for Netflix, I can't watch any movies.

Maybe Google TV and Logitech Revue should send me a check to cover my Netflix bill.
    Thomas David Franklin

11. Chiron16

Chiron16 New Member

Just return it... buy a TV and blue ray player, you and your parents be better off.

12. rctfam4

rctfam4 New Member

same issue for me. Netflix was working great. last update last week and netflix quit working all together. tried the soft reboot and factory reset. still does not work. I realized google tv is not the way to go. Hulu blocked as well as streaming tv from major networks. Now netflix does not work. better to buy a large flat screen tv and external internet devices that work and dont restrict you. Still able to watch netflix with wii and ps3.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Netflix with the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update. Please perfom the steps in this post, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/3446-netflix-issues.html#post18302"