Quantcast

Netflix Experience on Revue inferior to Roku

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by amigan_99, Nov 14, 2010.

1. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

I tried out the Revue for watching Netflix for the first time last night. The Roku and the Revue are both located at my living room TV so the experience - one would expect - would be approximately equal. I have WiFi provided by AT&T Uverse and the UVerse 3Mbps Internet feed. With the Roku - when I click to begin a video there is a short delay of perhaps 30 second and then the movie plays from beginning to end. Never a problem. With the Revue I got a warning message "your Internet connection is very poor - are you sure you want to do this??" then it proceeded to take about three minutes to download content. Then I was able to watch for about 10 minutes of my movie then it paused to download more content - again about three minutes and I watched another 10 minutes. After about the fourth time of this cycle things seemed to sort themself out and was able to watch the remaining 40 minutes of the film without interruption. So it would seem that the caching method of the Revue is not up to par with the Roku. Perhaps the Revue is assuming a faster Internet connection than the Roku. The reason I got the Revue is to help me stay cable or dish free while improving the entertainment options as more and more content comes via the web.

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I have to wonder if the Roku is " stealing " more mbps than the Revue??
    I have seen same things and stranger things happen when you use different wireless devices in the same system or router..
    It's just an idea.
    Did you try totally disconnecting each unit to see if the results change any??

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Regrettably, wireless is the least reliant way to get a consistent cached stream...when it was first released, Roku too had streaming interruptions, but they worked on it for a long while and released several builds to help. It's a case of Roku having the benefit of years of development over the GTV box. We also saw improvements in streaming/caching when more localised DNS was used, provided the content was served on a more local cdn (iirc Netflix uses limelight cdn) as opposed to more distant ones. Sadly, some content simply comes from more distant cdn servers with higher ping times and poorer playback performance.

4. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

The Roku was off during this period. Another thought would be perhaps an external antenna would help the Revue? I will test again soon and make sure all other potential bit stealers (systems attached to the LAN or WLAN) are off. I don't think that anything was interfering.

5. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

We're just up the road from Netflix - in Silicon Valley. So I would think they'd have pretty beefy distribution here.

Improving with releases would be most welcome!

6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I know there's a limelight cdn server in San Jose, but it may not be the server that possesses your particular show/content. Limelight (llnw) servers use the airport code of their location cities, so you can tracert cdn.netflix.com and follow the hits..I'm curious if you end up hopping all over the USA, and finally end up in San Jose. :)

edit: I just did this and luckily my ISP goes directly to the sjc llnw server, in the third hop, with only 10's of milliseconds of ping times. Most excellent. Running OpenDns DNS addys, btw.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

Good news! I ran another test - watching the original Dracula movie. Google TV did not pause at all after the first caching event. So perhaps I caught netflix on a bad night
    or perhaps one of the kids was downloading something. I'll remote again when i do another Netflix over Goog TV.

8. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

Ran a longer movie "Frida" last night, 2 hours. It ran perfectly. Not a single hiccup in delivery. So must have been some aberration on my first try.