Quantcast

Netflix buffering hell

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by GadgetRick, Jan 17, 2014.

1. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Lately, whenever I try to watch something on Netflix (I've got the 55" version of the set), I'm in buffering hell. Constant buffering, over and over and over.

No buffering issues on other devices. If I use Amazon Instant video, no buffering issues there either.

Anyone notice any issues with their Netflix lately?

2. bobz

bobz Member

I think its netflix . Its working fine now - I think.

3. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Some days/evenings it works fine, others, it's just plain hell. Can't figure any rhyme nor reason.

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

could be ISP's adjusting network bandwidth for optimal network performance (according to them)?

5. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Still trying to figure out what the problem is here. Some updates:

-Seems to only happen at night--the only time I watch TV, coincidentally.
    -I can watch something on Amazon Instant Video during these times (buffer hell) with no buffering at all.
    -I did have a problem playing a video on YouTube the other night (buffering) while I didn't have a problem playing it earlier in the day.
    -Buffer hell last night again so I downloaded NF app to an iPad and it worked fine on the iPad.

So it would seem to be an issue with the NF app on the TV and not a bandwidth issue (well, I seem to have enough bandwidth to stream video from other sources for the most part). This has become extremely frustrating because NF is currently unwatchable in the evenings--when I want to watch things. Plays for about a minute, buffers, play for another minute, buffer, etc.

Anyone else having similar problems?

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Who is your ISP? In the following article (see link below) it mentions that there are some ISPs that have not signed-on for Netflix's "Open Connect" program. So while Netflix has opened up Super HD to everyone - if your ISP doesn't support the Netflix Open Connect platform their could be "issues" .

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/26/h...per-hd-video-streams-rolling-out-to-everyone/

From the article:

**Netflix, however, did point out that members using an ISP that still hadn't joined the Open Connect won't be able to get the optimum experience when accessing Super HD-quality videos.

And if you decipher that forced-smile-of-a-statement, it basically means ISPs like TWC could be slower overall during peak Internet usage times now that Super HD is enabled for everyone. Also, it means the likelihood of maintaining a Super HD-quality video stream on ISPs like TWC will be much lower. Fortunately, Netflix's technology automatically adjusts to lower quality video formats based on the Internet connection (aka adaptive streaming), so you shouldn't have to deal with videos stopping to buffer constantly.**

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Thanks for the link to that article. I'm not sure that's what's happening since it's not just an IQ problem, it's a throughput problem. But I'm using Comcast Business Class.

Also, up until about a month (or two) ago, it was fine. No buffering problems at all.

Also, because it is fine on an iPad is evidence this isn't the problem either.

Still looking for a (possible) solution to the problem.

Oh, I've also tried restarting everything and it still gives me problems. And it's only during prime time. Other times it's fine.

8. CatfishRivers

It's hard to say for sure if your issue is related to the Open Connect situation. Let's put it this way - it's not helping. Here is another article with a very visual graph and you can see how bad the speed of Time Warner Cable is on Netflix during peak traffic hours. (TWC doesn't support the Netflix Open Connect platform). IMO the fact that your issue occurs during peak traffic hours - is a hint that your issue is related to the Open Connect situation.

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/11/netflixs-new-pitch-for-open-connect-it-sucks-less-during-prime-time/

Unfortunately Comcast is another ISP that still hasn't signed-on for the Netflix Open Connect platform. Here is the link to Netflix's own ISP speed rankings for the various ISPs (see below) - and as you can see Comcast is rated very near the bottom (14th out of 17 ISPs in the USA for the month of December 2013). Also according to Netflix's ISP speed performance chart - Comcast's speed on Netflix took a big drop in December. Which might explain why previously it had worked better for you. As for as the iPad app it could be that it works better because SuperHD support was built into the iPad app more effectively.

USA ISP Speed Index Results| Netflix ISP Speed Index

Are you connected to the internet by Wi-Fi or ethernet? Try ethernet if you're using Wi-Fi. Other than that you can try calling Netflix and LG to see what they have to say. Also contact Comcast and request that they sign-on for the Netflix Open Connect program. Have you tried going to your settings and 'force stopping' and 'clearing data' from the Netflix app? Also try rebooting your router.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  9. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Thanks for the info. To be fair it is Comcast Business Class and not their consumer class. They are very different and may as well be 2 different companies. Not that I think they signed up for this on the business side. But it's a much better network.

I'm sure this doesn't help but I still wonder why it started happening all of a sudden. Also, why does it play just fine on an iPad event though it's buffering like a MFer on the TV? My guess is it's probably got more to do with throttling than this. So much for net neutrality and all. But I can't find anything anywhere about this (specifically).

I've been trying to figure out how to contact NF but can't find much of anything. They seem intent on NOT letting you contact them. ;)

Haven't attempted to contact LG. I can only imagine what that call will be like:

Me: I'm having this problem.....
    LG: Reset to factory default.

Yeah....

Whatever is causing it I can't stand it and am frustrated as hell about it.

10. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Oh, I don't have any easy way to run an actual cable to the TV unfortunately. I'd like to try that over WiFi but not practical at the moment.

11. Robcentpa

Robcentpa New Member

OK. I appreciate all of the information. I have be waltzed around by my willie by LG by Google, by Netflix, and by Verizon. All claim that there is no problem. I've rebooted, reset, added a range extender, and on and on. The problem continues exactly as all of you have experienced. But no one has actually mentioned Verizon Fios. Has it joined the Open Connect Platform? No one from any of the previously mentioned companies has ever mentioned that. I am at my wits end. I can't take this buffering much longer. In addition to my Fios question, has anyone found a work around?

12. CatfishRivers

I don't have a solution - but based on the following thread it looks like Verizon FIOS doesn't support the Netflix Open Connect platform:

Netflix Open Connect - Page 9 - Verizon Forums

Are you trying to play your Netflix movies in SuperHD? If there is a way to manually adjust your Netflix playback quality try doing that. (I don't subscribe to Netflix so I'm not familar with how the controls operate). For instance if you can try streaming your movie at 720P resolution instead of SuperHD or 1080P try that.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  13. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

My main issue is, NF worked fine up until about a month (or so) ago. So, something has changed recently.

I did do the Android update but I'm 95% sure NF worked fine after the update as well.

14. Robcentpa

Robcentpa New Member

Thanks for the information CatfishRivers. That was extremely helpful. So, Verizon has been misleading me all of this time. Well, I guess to be fair their telephone techs probably know nothing of this or they wouldn't be spending so much money on me which includes all of the on phone assistance which in the last month has been hours, a new modem, and a real live person (yeah, do you believe that) tech visit who of course knew nothing.

well, they are going to get an education.

15. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't offer any help with the Netflix issues but I do know around 5 months ago, the Netflix Super HD became available here for me and I started using it. The quality is surprisingly good, much better than I had seen the last time I used Netflix streaming a couple of years ago. I also know the bitrates are much higher and therefore data usage far greater, but Google TV handles it well with Comcast internet service, I haven't seen any issues yet. I have been over the 280 GB data limit the last four months but the surcharge has been waived. Prevously AT&T U-verse here worked great with Vudu which is available at even higher bitrates so I know it will work with Netflix and I can switch if needed according to the best current offer.

16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Fyi, Netflix Open Connect is not required in order for user to stream SuperHD.

Stream this Netflix Example short video (several times, 3min each) & check birate.

also, try Google/Open DNS instead & check birate.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CatfishRivers

I realize that in 'theory' Netflix is claiming that SuperHD is available to everyone and ISP participation in the Netflix Open Connect program is not required - but then Netflix goes on to say that if your ISP is not in the OpenConnect program there could be some hiccups in trying to stream in SuperHD. The fact that these buffering issues are occurring during peak traffic hours - leads me to believe this is a problem with the ISPs. Even if speedtest results seem to indicate everything is fine - there could still be packet loss which would create the buffering issue.

I did a Google search for Netflix buffering issues and this is what came up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=problem+with+continuous+buffering+on+Netflix&safe=moderate

Basically there are 3 things to try:

1) As revue5 mentioned try setting a static IP using the Google DNS

2) As a troubleshooting measure try connecting directly to modem by ethernet.

3) Go to your Netflix settings and lower the playback quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I came across the following thread that I found interesting:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/Re-Netflix-Streaming-Issues/td-p/16587

I realize this thread is about the LG GTV televisions - but from the above link Sony blu-ray players were having buffering issues on Netflix - because apparently Sony uses a proxy server for the Netflix app on the blu-ray player. So the proxy server could of been causing issues. I'm not sure if LG uses a proxy server for their GTV Netflix app - but if they did that could explain why the OP in this thread doesn't have the Netflix buffering issue on other devices and only has the problem on his LG GTV television.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  18. CatfishRivers

19. Robcentpa

Robcentpa New Member

Revue5 is absolutely correct. Open Connect is not required to stream Netflix Super HD and I do enjoy Super HD all day long everyday. However, Catfish and further reading of this forum, Verizon forums and others (including the Trades) confirms that between roughly 9 and 11 PM daily when Netflix is responsible for nearly 33% of all Internet traffic, ISPs cannot handle the Super HD--especially of LG GTVs and other newer sets purchased in the last 30 days (the phenom has been occurring roughly since December) and continual buffering occurs every 60-90 seconds. At about 11 PM local time the phenom stops and the ISP can once again can stream Super HD. Open Connect is a FREE platform provided to all ISPs who join that places Netflix servers in ISP local hubs to reduce the drag of nationwide streaming on the net thus managing the bandwidth better and allowing the streaming of Super HD evening during peak use age hours.

i have been in discussions with Netflix over this matter. They are well aware of the issue though there never offered the explanation to me before I did my research. They also never told me (and here I guess I am the ass) that under my Netlix account there is a settings link that allows me to set the streaming speed for Netflix. I have changed it for AUTO which is the default to HIGH or Super HD to MEDIUM (not Low) and it resolved my problem. But I am not enjoying the crystal clear picture that my brand new HD TV can reproduce from their Super HD signal.

i have called customer service at Verizon and specifically reviewed the above information with direct reference to the Trades and issues of them refusing to be neutral in the Open Connect issue. They do not have the right to block my unfettered access to equally choose the services that I can access on the Internet. This not not an issue of me selecting a channel on there TV offerings it is an issue of net neutrality. And I must be allowed to equally choose Netflix Super HD or their new Red Box Streaming Service without bias. I (although at the mercy of customer service) demanded that my formal complaint be forwarded to senior management.

We all should be filing formal complaints with our ISPs about this issue of Net Neutrality and our right to unfettered access...way beyond these forums.

20. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

Robcentpa:

Thanks for that info. That is EXACTLY what's happening for me. However, I'm not on Verizon--I'm on Comcast Business Class.

Can you please clarify what setting you set for your quality? I'm not sure if you selected High, Super HD of Medium (I'm guessing Medium?).

Thanks.