Quantcast

Netfiix App

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Feb 12, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Is there a way to get the web link from a movie within the netflix app? To get this on a PC right click and your done but who can this be done within the GTV app?

2. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

There are two issues with this.

First the browser is not sending this intent out to be interpreted by other apps. Netflix is registered for this intent
    Second, even though Netflix is registered for this intent, it does not properly handle it. When you send this intent to netflix it lanches the app and then fails to load the show and gives an error.

IF netflix fixes this issue then it might be worth looking at further.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Why does Neflix need to play within the app on GTV while no app is needed on a windows pc running on Chrome? Futhermore, why can't I play Netfix video on GTV within Chrome?

4. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

Because on windows it's still a custom app it's just written to run as a browser plugin(it's not flash). Android browsers do not support anywhere near the needed internals for such an app. Especially not with the security that Netflix wants to build in. Up until recently even the android OS didn't fullfill their needs.

Personally I prefer the separate app, I'm not a huge fan of embedded video.

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

Check this out on a windows pc:

Netflix Canada Hits - Symbaloo It plays a movie from netflix imediatly so long as your netflix login is saved on your pc.
    (I will make one for the US Netflix users soon.)

I want to figure out a way to get this to work on GTV but need some help? For now I just released it on facebook and twitter.

$Capture.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

yep, on a PC that's easy. The URLs you are using are the same ones used by the netflix web and will not work on GTV for the 2 reasons I stated above. It's possible to do this sort of thing on GTV but not with the links that you are using. I am doing something similar with the "continuous playlist" netflix app I am beta testing now.

You can do something similar from the TV+Movies app on your GTV. What exactly is that not doing for you?

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

I guess I just have a vision of what GTV could be and want to team up with some crafty app developer to make some money. Any chance of us combining these 2 projects and other neat ideas not yet shared...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012