Quantcast

Need to play files off an external source

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Sony32, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Sony32

Sony32 New Member

Hello. I have a 32 inch Sony TV with GTV. I have a collection of video files that I'd like to play, and it's more than 4 GB, so I cannot keep them all on the built-in memory. I am looking for a way to play these files off an external source. I have an external USB hard drive, and I also have USB memory flash cards. I could not make the default media player recognize either of them. I tried file explorer, and it failed, too. The only remaining way is sharing the folder on my computer, and playing it from there, but that's not the long-term solution that I want.

Looking for any tips or suggestions. Thank you.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Either get GTVbox Video Player to stream from your file shares, or a DLNA server application for your computer that the Sony Media Player can stream from.

3. Sony32

Sony32 New Member

Thank you. I can stream my file shares even right now w/o any additional apps. The default media player can do that. However, I'd rather attach something via USB port to the TV. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

5. iceman198

iceman198 New Member

My thumb drive works like a charm so I would imagine that you can just hook up an external hard-drive to the TV. Is that what you are looking for?

6. Sony32

Sony32 New Member

Not exactly, but very close. I don't have a thumb drive, but I do have an external hard drive with a USB interface. When I plug it in, it is not recognized by the TV.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the Google TV devices by Sony requires a compatible FAT partition. If you're USB storage device is formatted device as NTFS then it will not be recognized. If you need a tool to reformat the drive, I recommend in looking at Fat32Formatter. It is an application that I use to quickly format drives to a format which is compatible with not only Google TV but many other devices as well.

8. Sony32

Sony32 New Member

Thank you. I think you're right! My mirror-configured external drive is indeed ntfs. I'm not going to re-format it, of course. Alternatively, I think, I will look into buying either a large thumb drive or a new external drive. Thanks! I think my problem is now solved.

9. lkruper

lkruper Member

I have a Western Digital 2TB San that comes bundled with Twonky. I can pick it up on my google tv blu ray and also my 32" Sony google tv as well.

10. Sony32

Sony32 New Member

Is it FAT or NTFS? Thanks!

11. lkruper

lkruper Member

The San does not have a USB port and so I am not plugging it into the unit. I accessed the files with the embedded Twonky. I am going to guess it is NTFS (I am not at the location where this device is installed). At my current location I have two WD drives, a 500GB FAT and a 2 TB NTFS. The only one my google tv (NSX-32GT1) would recognize was the 500GB FAT.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is a Storage Area Network (SAN) and not Network Attached Storage (NAS). A NAS is a single storage device that operate on data files, while a SAN is a local network of multiple devices that operate on disk blocks. Also, most NAS systems will use a Linux file partition (like EXT3) since that's the they type of operating system embedded in the platform. The type of partition used on network storage is not as pertinent to Google TV since you'll be accessing the device over the network. It is only relevant when connecting a USB storage device directly to the unit.

I always recommend an expandable NAS device for people that tend to have large storage requirements. Most NAS with expandable capacity will allow you to upgrade drive sizes and dynamically re-adjust the available capacity when all drives are upgraded. The RAID technology incorporated in these systems will also reduce the chances of data loss if used. Plus, many of them will have apps, such as TwonkyMultimedia Server or BitTorrent Clients which will allow you offload these services from your PC. Reducing the necessity of having to keep your power hungry PC powered on at all times.

13. lkruper

lkruper Member

Yes, thanks for the correction. I tend to use the terms NAS and SAN interchangeably when they are not. Perhaps a form of techno-dyslexia? Did you ever notice that NAS is SAN backwards :)

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh, it is not uncommon. There's way too many acronyms in the computer industry. I've seen people transpose the letters "H" and "D" when referring to content protection or configuration protocols. So, often they mistaken or mistype DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) for HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) and vice versa.