Quantcast

Need lots of help, please

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by lotus, Nov 27, 2011.

1. lotus

lotus New Member

Hello

I hope this thread belongs here, feel free to move it if not.
    First off, let me tell you I am VERY computer stupid, as in need a dummies manual for the revue. Let me try to explain what is going on.
    I just got this revue set up a few hours ago. The intimidating (at least to me!) set up steps went smoothly. I have a wireless cable modem from time warner, and the revue detected my network and I chose it from the list and entered the password. Everything was accepted and it said I was connected to the network. Ok, I completed the rest of the steps fine. When done, I did connect to amazon and started streaming a tv show (I'm a prime member) Watched for a few minutes, then stopped the video. When I tried to connect again the message said there is no network connection. Nothing on ANY site. I finally figured out how to navigate to settings, network, and this is what it says- no internet connection. Under wireless it says limited connection, check dhcp settings. WHAT is that???? It says the wireless is enabled but disconnected. I can't find a list of networks anywhere, like I did when I set this thing up. My modem/router is upstairs, the revue is downstairs, I thought that might be a problem, but I have a wireless pc downstairs and several other tablets that connect just fine. I can't move the modem downstairs.
    I don't know what to do, I'm hoping some of you experts can help me figure this out, please. It makes me feel so STUPID. I don't want to be defeated by a machine!

Barbara

2. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

Try a CTRL ALT DEL of your revue. Then go into the Settings menu, pick Network and turn Wireless on again. That will probably fix it.
    I'm not familiar with TWC's router/modem, but if they have a configuration menu (try 192.168.1.1) with your browser from your main computer, go into that and see if you can make your revue have a permanent connections instead of a leased connection. If you arent sure what that means, TWC's support line can probably walk you through it.

3. lotus

lotus New Member

Thank you so much for your reply, but wait till you hear what I did now. I read sometimes pulling the power plug out of the revue and then plugging it back in might help. So I did it, and now everything is frozen, nothing works. I get the opening screen of google tv and thats it. What do I do now?Hubbys gonna have a fit.

4. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

You're the 1st I've heard that happen to that hasnt "upgraded" to the beta honeycomb version. Unplugging it shouldnt do that generally (I wouldnt think since if your power ever goes out it's the same situation). Maybe try unplugging it and letting it sit for a few minutes then plugging it back in. See if that will work.
    Plus, you've only had it for a short time you can exchange it. A PITA but an option.
    Oh, and there is a "reset" button on the back....

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

lotus, it sounds like you may have a defective Revue. You're husband shouldn't fret any, it can happen to any device that's mass manufactured. Just go on down and exchange yours with another at your place of purchase.

6. lotus

lotus New Member

Thank you thank you! Unpluging it and letting it sit before pluging it back in did the trick , and it came back just as my hubby came down the stairs to see what I was doing. Now, is there a good site (read simple:) that tells you how/what to navigate this keyboard? Heck, I don't even know how to turn the thing off! Amazon video quality doesn't seem to be that great, is it just an amazon thing or some settings I need to tweak?

Barbara

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sort of, but not really... there is the Revue Customer Care website. It has various tutorials and instructions on how to use the product.

You can't without unplugging it from the wall outlet. It was actually designed to be powered on at all times.

Actually, no. The television shows seems to be in HD; however, for whatever reason the movies hosted on Amazon seem to be of lower quality with serving to any Google TV device.

According to the http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-development-discussion/3658-hangout-rishi-chandra.html
    And according to http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-discussion/3609-hangout-jurek-foryciarz.html

8. lotus

lotus New Member

Well, so far I like this revue (when I can get it away from my husband) but I do pretty simple things, browse the web and stream video. If I knew about all this hi tech stuff I guess I might be disillusioned, but I bet all you people here know how to get it to work the way you want! What I was wondering, how exactly does this thing work, and what else can you do with it? I mean, can you do email? What about downloading apps? There isn't a lot of info on the web, especially for tech challenged people like me!
    For instance, I couldn't use the abc player online, said it needed chrome 3.0 (I only got 2.1) so can I update, or would it not make a difference anyway- I remember reading somewhere that some sites block their content, maybe abc is one of them?
    I like to learn about all this, as long as you people don't mind all the moronic questions! This is my first android device (It IS android, right???) so I'm really pretty uninformed.
    Thanks

Barbara

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's a loaded question. You're going to have to be more specific otherwise I'd have to write a dissertation. You might as well be asking, "What's the meaning of life?"

Yes, if your email service has a web app available like Gmail, Yahoo!, or Hotmail then you can definitely use the Chrome web browser to both compose and read your emails.

Not currently. The implementation of the Android 2.1 (Eclair) OS on Google TV does not support downloading or installing third-party applications. In the next highly anticipated version Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update for Google TV will open up the Android Market. This will allow you to install applications on your Google TV device. The update is currently being distributed by Sony for their Google TV devices, but those of us with Revues are still waiting for Logitech finish and deploy their version.

I did point you to the Logitech Customer Care website in my original response is packed full with information. Here is the link again in case you missed it, "http://revue.logitech.com/support"

Yes, actually ABC is one of the sites that block their content. Even if you were able to meet their minimum software requirements, they still have the Flash application detect which platform you're using and prevents you from enjoying their content.

Don't worry about being new to the platform. Many of us was in the same place you are, and if you don't ask questions or do your own research then it would be impossible for you to learn. So, ask your questions away, none of your questions are moronic. Besides, believe it or not the Logitech Revue was also my first Android device.

10. lotus

lotus New Member

O.K. Then whats the meaning of GTV:) Seriously though, you wouldn't exactly call it a computer, maybe the hopefully coming soon honeycomb will make it closer to one.
    I did go to the customer care link you gave me (thank you) and read all 18 pages on this forum about the revue. I learned lots, but still have plenty of questions. (lucky you)
    Anyway, I have a google account with gmail adress. So does that mean I can access email on the revue? How do I do that?
    Thanks

Barbara

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Excellent! Bring 'em on, woman!

Open up Chrome and go to www.gmail.com then log into it with your account credentials.

12. lotus

lotus New Member

Hello, back with more questions! I wanted to put this revue through it's paces. O.K., I still think it's pretty neat, lots of potential, wondering if Logitech is making a mistake by dropping it...
    Anyway, I have uncovered 1 problem, maybe it's not revue related but more a network connection problem, every couple of days my wi-fi connection is dropped, when I go to reconnect it says searching for ip adress, when done it says remembered, but I still have no connection. The only thing I can do to reconnect is pull the power plug from the revue and wait 30 sec and plug it back in, then everythings back to normal. What's up with that?
    I was also wondering how to enlarge text, if any. I don't see an option in Chrome.
    Then I have kind of a "why"question. How come abc, fox, etc. block their content from GTV but not a pc? I mean, what difference does it make where you see their content?
    Thanks!

Barbara

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I can't say. I prefer using an Ethernet connection because it is more reliable. HomePlug AV Powerline Adapters can provide better, more reliable connectivity than wireless network.

You can use the [Fn]+[+] to Zoom in or [Fn]+[-] to zoom out of the page.

The problem is that if they make their content too freely available then the monetized value of their content goes down. Therefore channel line providers (like Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV) won't be willing to pay as much for their content because it is not exclusive. Sure, you can always plug a laptop into your television or stream to your computer, but the networks seem to believe this is more cost prohibitive than lets say a $99 box.

It all comes down to this being a capitalistic market and everyone wanting the most value from their content. And right now, content owners make much more money from channel line providers than they do from internet advertising.

14. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

Try unchecking and rechecking the blue checkmark wifi box and see if that works... it does for me.

Oh and good to know about the Fn+ key combo - I've been using Ctrl+

15. lotus

lotus New Member

Thank you Eferz and Surprisinguy. My eyes appreciate the help, and hopefully I can keep connected now. I wish I could use ethernet (where did THAT name come from-sounds like the stuff you knock people out with) My husbands computer is hardwired to the cable modem which is upstairs from the tv the revue is connected too so I can't use it...
    You know, this blocked content thing is so illogical, (really belongs in a new thread, sorry, I just had to say) I mean if all the GTV devices could hypothetically receive the networks blocked content, I'm sure it would be a much smaller % than that of connected pcs, so it seems to me if cable/satellite companies wanted to make a stink it would be toward connected pcs...(of course then we the consumer would gripe about that...
    Anyway, to keep this thread about help, is there a way to use the dual view window so that the web page your're browsing appears in the small window and the tv on the rest of the screen? Works fine the other way around... I just like to keep tabs on the ever increasing lunacy of the stock market... Thanks

Barbara

16. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

The small preview window is only for the TV and will not swap back and forth.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I figured your Revue is in a situation where direct Ethernet access to the modem/router was unlikely. That's why I recommend the HomePlug AV Powerline Adapters. They provide network connectivity through your electrical outlets in your home. The nice thing about this technology is that they address certain deficiencies associated with wireless networking. There's one made by Logitech called the HD Powerline 200a Starter Kit and there quite a few of them made by Netgear whom I prefer.

The idea is that purchasing a computer is still more cost prohibitive. That's one of the reasons why everyone doesn't already connect a computer to their HDTVs. It is also the reason why a market even exists for the Logitech Revue and other similar devices. If they were to allow their content to be freely available on a simple, convenient inexpensive box then it would foster more people to embrace that platform over a subscription based access.

Having too many people with unadulterated access to their content devalues it in the eyes of channel line providers whom were willing to pay a premium. That's why some of the content owners are now deploying the use of "authenticated access" which requires proof of access from a related paid channel line provider. This allows the paying subscriber to realize an enhance level of access, while allowing the content providers to retain the monetary value of their content.