Quantcast

Need help with my new LG 55GA6400

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by davidt1, Dec 30, 2013.

1. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

I bought this TV a few days ago. Downloaded the latest update right away. I have two issues with it.

1. The TV always searches for the last used USB device when it is turned on. This is a problem because I want to watch TV when I turn the TV on. I don't want to access a USB drive when I turn the TV on. Basically, this TV chooses USB device as the default starting point.

Is this normal? Is there away to make TV viewing the default mode when the TV is turned on.

Here is what I get every time I turn on the TV to watch TV
    $LGProblem_zpsc56268d0.jpg

2. There is no option to play movie files from the USB drives. There is the "Play Movie" option in the Home menu, but it only works with paid content. The USB drive isn't even visible under this option. I can still play movies by choosing the "Photo" options. Under the "photo" option, the USB device is visible and can be accessed.

3. Supported movie files seem to be very limited. This TV does not play wtv, ts, tp, mts2, wav files.

I appreciated any suggestions to help me with these issues. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. ericd

ericd Active Member

Have you configured your video input... settings> video input> configure video input?

• Like Like x 2
  3. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

I just went into that setting. There is no option for USB devices. This is driving nuts. I can't believe this so-called smart TV is this dumb. I found there are software that can be
    disabled in Settings/Options/Storage/Apps. I am hoping maybe disabling one of these can fix the problem, but I don't know which one to disable.

4. ericd

ericd Active Member

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were trying to get your set to start in tv mode.

The USB device should show up in the Smartshare area (home screen< top tiles< click all the way to the right) If you still don't see it, try a different USB input.

If your TV still isn't starting in Tv mode after configuring the input, go to settings< date,time & location> on time> input. My TV starts up in the mode I select here. (but I don't have a USB device connected, that may change things up)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yes to play a USB device you need to go to smart share > linked device...

...as far as the message you get, not sure, but i would factory reset the TV if i were you, but you would then need to set up the Tv all over again

• Like Like x 4
  6. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

Yes, I want to start in TV mode when the TV is turned on.

I did a factory reset and the problem went away. Now it always starts in TV mode.

Yes, I see the USB drive in Smartshare now.

You folks are awesome. Thank you.

7. taitrt

taitrt New Member

If this ever happens again and you don't want to do a factory reset the actual option can be accessed by pressing the home button on the remote, then the menu button on the remote and selecting "home and all apps settings". In that menu there is an option for "Startup application" where you can select "Live TV".

• Like Like x 6
  8. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

Thanks taitrt. I am learning something new everyday. I notice that, even after selecting LiveTV, the TV will turn on to the last used device like the DVD player, or computer if that device is still on. In other words, my TV will select the last input used (if it's still on).

9. ericd

ericd Active Member

I believe if you have "quick start" checked (settings< options < quick start) the TV will start in previous input mode, if you restart it before 2 hours. After 2 hours, it will start in the mode you selected.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

also, if 'Quick start' is turned on you cannot enter into the boot menu, until you either turn that setting off or wait the 2 hours...actually i think its 40 minutes not 2 hours..

• Like Like x 2
  11. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

I have tried having quick start turned on and off. I still can't force this TV to start on TV as the default mode. If my computer was the last device used and it is now in sleep mode, the TV will select the computer when it is turned on. Now it will display a "No Signal" message because the computer is in sleep mode. All this is fine for me, but not for a visitor who might turn off the TV because they see a "No Signal" message. Then I have to explain to them how this TV works.

This TV, like so many devices, was obviously designed by engineers/nerds who are not the actual users.

12. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

corrrection...it is 2 hours....also with quick start turned on you can not enter boot mode unless you wait the 2 hours

13. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

when in the home screen, press Menu>Home and all app settings> start up application.......you should be able to chose Live tv.

• Like Like x 2
  14. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. My TV always starts on the last used device. Right now I have both the BR player and the computer on. I switch between them before turning off the TV. Every time the TV is turned on, it chooses the last used device.

Can I ask you good folks to try this?

Turn your TV to liveTV
    turn you BR/DVD player on
    Switch to BR/DVD input
    Turn off BR/DVD player. Does your TV automatically switch to TV?
    Turn off the TV
    Turn the TV back on
    Now play around with the remote
    Does the TV/remote works differently now?

While I am asking:

Can you play something on you BR/DVD player?
    Turn off the TV
    Turn the TV backon
    Does it start in TV mode or the last used device (BR/DVD player)?

I think what this TV considers LiveTV is any last used device -- including any external input and the built-in TV turner.

I am telling you this is the most frustrating device I have ever used in my life.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  15. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

if i turn the TV off, when i turn it back on it will turn on to the last input that was used, or in other words, it will turn on to the input that the TV was on when i turned it off. this is normal to me. almost every Tv i have owned will turn back on to the input that the TV was tuned to when it was turned off..

when the TV is on, and when i click on Live TV, it takes me to my TV channels (assuming i set up my TV channels as my video input)