Quantcast

Need help deciding between revue or a boxee box setup

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by dale_cooper, Aug 11, 2011.

1. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

Hey guys, I'm sure some of you have been in the dilemma I'm currently in, and all of these "media" devices get compared frequently but really they're quite different.

Initially when I heard about the revue for $99, I said WOW that is awesome, I'm getting one. So you know, my standard computer use is sitting with my laptop on the couch (browsing forums, youtube, news sites, etc) in front of my panasonic plasma usually having some show on as background noise heh. A couple months ago I had visited my friend on vacation who has a mac mini with bt keyboard hooked up to his tv running plex - it was very cool. The whole thing just made me realize how cool it is to have the internet displayed on your tv. So when the revue price dropped to $99, the light bulb went off in my head.

However, as I started doing research, I sort of changed what I'm looking for or started exploring other products, namely boxee box and the wdtv live hub.

Here is my objective

1. Internet browsing on the tv and integration into other apps (seems like revue is the only way to do this).
    2. I really want a media server that is self sufficient. What I mean is, I don't want a device just streaming stuff from my computer via tversity or another sharing service (and actually I use tversity right now with my ps3). I want to be able to access movies, music, everything from the device without the use of a laptop. This way my transformer and phone always have access to content as well and my laptop doesn't have to be on to share.. This is why I started thinking about the boxee box with an external hard drive (boxee box has a good interface and plays everything).

So here is the thing, the revue fulfills #1, but I'm not sure how good it would be at handling #2. I know external hard drives are supported but the revue seems finicky with the type of files it likes to play without issues. However, if I can run the revue with external hd and play most files and have it be pretty solid and seemless, that would save some major dollars. $99 plus cost of 1 or 2tb wd mybook. Versus $200 for a boxee box plus the cost of the external hd and with that route, I still don't have the browsing, searching functionality of the revue.

Any thoughts or advice? I guess it really comes down to, do i want google tv, or do I want a media share/server. The setups are related but are definitely different in their core competency/functionality.

Thanks!
    -Joe

2. dhotiram

dhotiram New Member

i have both and i'll have to go with boxee. the media player on the logitech sucks. doesnt play divx or xvid. boxee is rock solid. plays everything that google TV offers plus has a great media player and plays anything that is thrown into it.

3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

meh.. the media player is fine... you just need the right media server.. i would go with mezzmo... it is rare i can find a file it will not send me.. you can try it out free for 15 days.. there is a profile for the revue built in.. it good stuff..

Revue + Mezzmo = win... mho

4. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

The problem with using Mezzmo is that it defeats one of my objectives... I would have to be running it off my laptop, right? Whatever device I use needs a self contained media player that plays everything (for example with boxee, the embedded player plays everything).

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

ok, i get what you are saying,,
    then the revue would not be the thing..
    i would build up a htpc run it on linux way less overhead,, and toss a 2g hd in.. for 150 to 200 you can get a machine that will do this quite well... but i think if hc comes along.. and you can connect a storage device,, the revue will grow in to the kind of thing that you are shooting for... we will see..

6. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

See that seems to be the thing, the main or only thing missing from the revue is having a media player that plays everything, I don't know why they haven't fixed this in an update (maybe the upcoming update would take care of it).

I appreciate the advice guys. On one hand I'd love the boxee setup, on the other hand I'd miss not having the full keyboard and browsing capability of the revue! I almost wanna get the revue since its cheap right now and for any files that it can't play, I could use my laptop to stream it over via another service (like mezzmo). Hmmmmm

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Below are the video formats which are currently compatible for Google TV in its current form, though apparently there will be more support in Android 3.1.

File ContainerVideo StreamAudio StreamText Stream
    .MKVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .FLVH.264/MPEG-4 AVC and H.263AACNA
    .MTSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MT2SH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .TSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .AVIH.264/MPEG-4 AVC, DivX MPEG4, and Xvid MPEG4AACNA
    .MOVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MP4H.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA

The Logitech Media Player and Sony Media Player for Google TV definitely needs a lot of work.

Another option is to use Format Factory, to convert your incompatible media files to a compatible format.

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Currently you can play more video formats with Boxee Box. However I would say for web surfing the Revue is superior. As you are aware the Boxee Box hand-held qwerty remote uses a D-pad and not a track-pad - plus the keys are very small. So if you intended to do typing on the internet Boxee Box is a bit tedious. Although I read you can add a wireless keyboard or a mouse through the Boxee Box USB port. That would help a lot. Of course these items cost extra and would bring the overall price up a notch.

9. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

Hey Dale - I am int he same boat. I am currently running the Windows Boxee software on my home PC hooked to the TV. I did pick up a Revue today with the intention of playign with it for a few weeks and returning if I am not happy with it.

If you are not aware, the Boxee software (Win, Linux, Mac) is getting a large update this fall to be more in-line with what is installed on the current D-Link Boxee Box.

Additionally, Iomega has a Boxee device as well (not out yet) that looks pretty slick. Larger than the D-Link box, but has 2 TB of onboard storage, etc. I am waiting for that to be release and will most likely run the Revue on one tv and the Iomega Boxee on another.

As Catfish stated above, the D-Link boxee remote is not that great compared. The Iomega remote seems a ton better, but not as nice as the Revue from looking at it.

From what I have read, if you have more content, the Boxee will be far superior. If you are intended to stream more content / browse the Revue would win.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  10. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

Wow I did not know about that iomega boxee device - that is almost exactly what I want. Stopped by best buy today during lunch, they just got revue stock last night - I might buy one for the helluva it. I believe its a 30 day return window... May as well try it right? :)

11. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

So I'm typing this from the newly purchased revue - may as well try it out right, plus best buy had it in stock...

Some initial impressions....

If you have cable tv already, for $99 its almost impossible to pass up as its worth that to enhance your television experience - searching through whats on, having instant access to the internet, etc. I will say there is a definite learning curve with the navigation... switching between tv, internet, youtube, whatever...

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of quick hit content you can access - picked up a couple recipes I wanna try on chow tv LOL. There are a decent amount of resources where I could spend a night without even watching cable....

HOWEVER, boxee shares those same "resources" correct? And here is the meat of everything - the stock media player interface is a joke... I'm using tversity to stream content over right now which has worked pretty good; but its just so plain and blah. From what I know about boxee, the interface is very clean. So really it comes down to, do you want the integrated cable tv or do you want a real media player with internet capability (boxee). I see now why people choose boxee to replace their cable or satellite. Whereas I feel the revue is a true enhancement to existing tv (NOT a replacement by any means). Its all about perspective, if you're not getting rid of your cable, the google tv at $99 is a no brainer.

Will I keep it? Not sure, I may buy a wdtv live hub or wait for the iomega boxee to come out. The revue definitely does not satisfy my desire for a slick media player.

Cool product though, obviously much more interactive than regular tv - I know if I had a friend over, it would be cool to play around on the revue and see what we could find.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  12. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

Thats been my impression so far with it as well Dale - Was able to watch Conan last night and also the latest episode of Epic Mealtime (lol) on Youtube via PIP. In my playing around with Boxee (software only at this point) the browser is - limited. Blocked web content. There is no Amazon VOD. But the local media playback is top notch. Navigation is easier than Boxee (again, vs the current software build, not what is on the D-Link Boxee). The playback controls are easier on Revue. All that is not really a fair comparison though.

I have gone back and forth between Roku or Boxee and now looking at the Revue (will most likely keep it) with the end objective of cutting the cable and going with a antenna and web content only.

13. Raketemensch

Raketemensch New Member

I've been an XBMC/Plex/Boxee user for years now since I softmodded my first xbox. Since then, I've been seeking the holy grail of media centers:

1) Streaming abilities for Pandora, Spotify, Netflix and Hulu
    2) A media player that can pull in everything from Samba network shares
    3) A way to control and view DirecTV content.

I've tried a dozen different devices and software/hardware combinations, and never come up with something satisfactory. I work for a major broadcast company, and we have a program where we can borrow all kinds of different devices, so I've gone through WD boxes, the Revue, Boxee, ATV2, etc. I also have tried various Windows, Mac and Linux combinations, with Media Portal, MythTV, Plex, Boxee and of course XBMC, and never found that Holy Grail: A single interface for all 3 of the above.

This Revue, with its HDMI pass-through and control of the DirecTV DVR, is SO close. The way it handles the DTV DVR is the bomb, I'm incredibly impressed, but.... The lack of a decent media player with Samba capabilities is an oversight I can't ignore. This is a Linux device, right? Why is it so gimped?

14. bimmerbenz

bimmerbenz New Member

I contacted Logitech for a support issue and was escalated to the upper tier tech support. While I was on the phone with them I also mentioned a few things I don't like about the Revue and the Media Player and codec support was one of them. In response the tech support guy told me that the Media Player in the Revue is one of the major updates contained in the Google TV 2.0 update when it arrives. Not sure how true it is but I have some hope that the Media Player will be much better soon.

15. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Viewsonic Abandons Boxee TV Project

09/10/2011

[​IMG]

Display manufacturer Viewsonic has confirmed that it will not bring a Boxee-powered television set to the market as initially planned because of high costs and lack of interest from consumers.
    Janko Roettgers from Gigaom writes that the company had demoed a 46-inch TV running with Boxee's powerful media center software at CES in January with an initial release date for June. However this didn't happen.

Viewsonic told Gigagom that ‘Smart TV’ has not achieved the consumer acceptance or market expectation… that was forecasted over the last couple years. In addition, consumer spending for Smart TV’s in general has experienced a significant slow down as the economy has slowed. Our current strategy is to stay involved with the various technology developments and consider them in the future as they become available.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The cost of producing the Boxee was said to be expensive but then the product uses an [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Intel[/FONT][/FONT] chipset which also powers the Boxee box by D-Link as well as the Logitech Revue Google TV box whose price was slashed by more than a third from $299 to $99.

Yet, it wouldn't come as a surprise if by the end of the year, Apple releases an Apple television set with an embedded [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Apple[/FONT][/FONT] TV set top box that runs on the ARM-based Apple A5 SoC.

Moving from Intel to ARM would bring costs down - that's a given - and would allow users to experience a wider variety of hardware. Unfortunately, as it stands, the software is not available for ARM.