Quantcast

Need help connecting Dish Network to Sony Google TV Box

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Axe_Man, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Axe_Man

Axe_Man New Member

I currently have the Sony NSZ-GT1 connected to my Dish Network VIP 722K. I just connected Ethernet from the gtv to the dish box for the first time. Now what? Is there something to pair the devices? I know Dish has the $4 service. Is that the only way to get any use from the connection? Is the connection worth $4 per month? Thanks in advance and sorry for all of the questions!

2. dhcross61

dhcross61 New Member

I have the same equipment you have. I connected the dish and also ordered a sling box adapter. I am enjoying the interconnectivity.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, to enable Enhance DVR / Advance Integration, you'll need to pay Dish's monthly fee. For some reason they believe that $4 month is worth it. They're full of shiitake mushrooms. I do think its a cool feature, but certainly not worth the paying the extra fees for the rest of your life. You can use the DVR using the IR controls like everyone else though. That's free and works just fine.

4. akm80

akm80 New Member

I just bought a google tv and have been trying to connect the remote to also control the dish receiver. i have tried connecting the IR blaster but cant not find a manufacturers code for the dish receiver. Is it even possible to connect the remote for basic things, search/guide,selecting, or will i have to buy the $4 plan from dish

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

I'm using the Logitech Revue with Dish ViP 722, and let me reiterate what eferz said ("shiitake" mushrooms!...good one!): you get very little functionality from the so-called "enhanced" service. Let me try and break it down -- at least how it's working with the Revue -- without paying the $4 fee:

- I can COMPLETELY run my Dish receiver with the Revue keyboard. More or less anything I can do with the Dish remote, I can also do with the keyboard. I assume the Revue is blasting the living room, and the IR signal reflects back to the Dish receiver. I do NOT have any connection between the two other than the HDMI cable. (@Axe_Man, you said you connected ETHERNET from the GTV to the Dish receiver. I wasn't aware that does anything -- instead I assume each needs their own connection to a router, whether wired or wireless.)

- As far as I can tell, "enhanced" service means that when you search, the contents of your DVR are included in the GTV search process. Which isn't a big deal for me because I never need to "search" my DVR. I'm not aware of any other perks.

- BONUS: because the Revue "knows" I have Dish, when I search for movies/TV it includes future events from the Dish Guide. ADMITTEDLY, the system for scheduling that event seems "broken." The Revue tries to take me directly to it in the Guide, but fails. But that is a minor hassle, and I'm not 100% sure it would work right after paying the $4 service fee.

To put it simply, you get 80%-90% functionality without paying the service fee. Unless DVR use is a major issue, life is fine with regular (instead of "enhanced") integration!

-Matt

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Forgot to mention -- we also have the Sling Adapter on our Dish 722. I like it a lot, and at first, used it occasionally in the house, e.g., streaming content to a tablet or laptop in another room. We use it less now, mainly while traveling. It turns out your internet up-speed is a pretty important constraint, and we only get 1Mbps, which is kinda "meh". Again, afaik, the Sling Adapter doesn't "talk" to the GTV. There IS a Sling app, but I think that's for the Sling "proper".

-Matt

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Did you plug in the ir blaster cables to the google tv and put the end of the cable near the dish receiver. I did that with my setup and when you set up your dish, you tell it that your using dish setup and then it will ask you to turn your channel with the remote and if nothing happens it tells you to press a certain combo to try another code or something like that. I have a dish reciever and have the ir blaster cable taped to the top of my dish reciever above the power button and have no problem with setup.

Also you do not need the 4 dollar plan unless you want it as you just choose the limited mode when setting up your reciever.