Quantcast

Need DVR solution with out paying monthly subscription

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by indianidiot007, Dec 7, 2011.

1. indianidiot007

indianidiot007 New Member

Hi Folks,

I just want to setup a DVR functionality with my sony google tv, please point me to the right place for more info.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. indianidiot007

indianidiot007 New Member

Its too expensive, looking for a simple situation for less than $200. is there anything like that?

4. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

The only one that I know of for OTA without subscription fees is Channel Master, but their cheapest model is north of $300.

Tivo Premier can be had for $99 but you have the monthly fees to go along with it. Their $9.99 a month subscription for OTA only guide data ended, but you could call them and ask about it.

5. jeff275

jeff275 New Member

I have spent the last few months setting up my old computer as an HTPC (and I'm not done yet, unfortunately). If you have an available computer you could get a tuner card and DVR software. There are a lot of options, my machine had XP on it and I got a SiliconDust HDHomerun 3 which is pretty awesome. They are about $100 now but you could probably get a card for cheaper. The best software I found was Beyond TV. It was the only one that just worked. I'm still playing around with various free programs that are still in development but honestly it'd be a lot better to just pay the $79 for Beyond TV. Oh and I bought a new video card that had HDMI out but you could get by with a DVI adapter plus audio cables if that's what your computer has. And this all assumes you have a hard drive with a decent amount of space for recording shows.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

cjam
    I don't think it is possible to make one for $200 and don't know where to suggest you look for a DVR with an ATSC tuner and HDMI output for that price that works without a paid subscription. Finding a used Channel Master DVR at that price might be possible but would require some luck.