Quantcast

Native Resolution

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, May 17, 2015.

1. guest

guest Active Member

I have a question for someone that connects their Google TV to a 1080p HDTV.

Is there a visual difference when viewing this website, googletvforumdotorg, through an HDTV with a native resolution of 1080p versus through an HDTV with a native resolution of 720p?

As I understand it, with video, there's a definite WOW factor between the two. Is there a similar WOW factor when viewing a printed page?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Any noticeable difference depends on screen size and distance from the screen but in my situation with a 50" 720p and a 42" 1080p, I am not seeing any WOW factor with 1080p using the Google TV web browser at this and various other sites. Of course I am old and pretty hard to WOW.

3. guest

guest Active Member

How about movies, is there a big difference?

Maybe this "WOW factor" is more evident when comparing pre- and post-HDTV television viewing. And that 720p and 1080p aren't so radically different.

Maybe the new 4K HDTV is the new "WOW" technology of resolution compared to 720p/1080p. Which are as in widespread-use as color TV's were in the 1950's!

I was thinking about purchasing a new 1080p HDTV in a few months, along with a new Chromebox. If there's not that much difference between 720p and 1080p, it might just be the Chromebox that I purchase. New 4K HDTV's are priced in the mid-four figures, or are just plain expensive.

4. guest

guest Active Member

5. guest

guest Active Member

This article mentions how the difference in resolution between 720p and 1080p is much more obvious on 50 inch (and larger) TV's. And though a 4K TV can "upscale" 1080p material, according to Bart*, upscaling negates much of the hardware advantage. "Much", though, is a relative word. The prices on UHD TV's have come down by such an amount, maybe a 10% boost in resolution beyond 1080p might be worth it for some.

So I'm thinking a Chromebox combined with an at least 1080p 50" TV will be a step up above my current Logitech Revue connected to a 32" 720p TV. Depending on the difference in price between brand-name1080p TV's and UHD TV's, the latter might be the better choice. As there is very little content available in UHD, at least one can obtain a minimal boost above 1080p with 4K through upscaling.

What Is 4K Ultra HD News Opinion PCMag.com

(*read the lengthy comment by Bart on calculating resolution.)

6. Travel

Travel Active Member

The wow factor is heavily dependent on how the particular content "comes-through" in my experience. And that includes audio. Using the same hardware set-up, there can be a big difference from one individual movie played to another.

Movies are the best test. It has less to do with whether you're viewing on a 720p or 1080p HDTV, and more to do with the individual content you're playing.

A good test, it seems to me, would be to watch a Netflix movie that's being shown in Super HD and 5.0 DD+ audio on a 720p screen, and then compare it with watching the same exact movie on a 1080p HDTV screen. I'm guessing that there won't be any remarkable difference. Certainly not at a wow factor level.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy one of those really cheap 4K sets but I am planning on a 4K TV when I need a new one, probably two or three years. I think replacing a 32" 720p set now with a 50" 1080p would be a big upgrade. The difference between a Chromebox and Logitech Revue won't add much if anything to the experience in my opinion, I prefer Google TV to a Chromebox for streaming online video although I like the Chromebox better for some things.

I just replaced the power supply in my 50" 720p LG plasma, I like the picture a lot and hope it lasts several years.