Quantcast

Native mediaplayer gone after update

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by hansschepers, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hansschepers

hansschepers New Member

After updating to the new firmware today the native media player app by Google is completely gone. I can only download third party media apps. How can I get the native app I'm used to back?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

What Google TV model? What native media player app?

3. hansschepers

hansschepers New Member

Sorry about that- it's a LG G2 LED tv and I'm looking for the Media Player app that was one of the preinstalled apps when I bought this tv last year. Can't seem to find it in Google Play either.

4. Bobbuilder

Bobbuilder New Member

Even I am facing the same issue.. Also many awesome apps like Crackle , free Plex app is gone... The native media player helped me to watch downloaded 3D movies which were Side By Side and I could convert them to 3D but now the new Avia player is not allowing to do so... Crappy update... Is there a way I can go back to my old version ?

5. Travel

Travel Active Member

Have you tried "ViMu," "Mitty," "Soul Movie TV" and "ES File Explorer" media players?

Odd that the positive reviews of the Jelly Bean update from other LG TV users haven't mentioned losing the native media player. Have you tried a "factory reset"?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. hansschepers

hansschepers New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try a factory reset in a few days and will post my experience. I would be surprised if this solved the problem but I'll give it a shot.

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

There were a few people with the LG TV Jelly Bean update who reported that, with the update, they lost the YouTube and/or Netflix native apps, but but these apps were restored upon a factory reset. The similar circumstance is the native app aspect.

8. hansschepers

hansschepers New Member

I just performed a system reset on my LG G2 TV. Unfortunately the media player I was used to is still gone. Instead the infinitely wise people from Google decided I can also do with an app called Smartshare. This app actually plays my (3D) movies from USB after clicking / refreshing / trying out menu items to find the movie files (takes more time than I was used to but maybe there's a shortcut somewhere). The (not really customizable) Smartshare homescreen widget stubbornly keeps telling me that there are "no contents" while a USB drive with a movie file on it is clearly present. In search of the best you just lost the good here Google, so far this experience is a bit disappointing.

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Try "Mitty" and/or "ES File Explorer" apps.

10. ChrisG8

The point is he is used to using the player that disappeared. Unfortunately I don't have an LG player and don't recall what media player might have been included with the LG models, although I seem to recall it was based on ViMu. I would say he should try the free ViMu Lite if it is still available. I haven't seen any other users indicate the media player app disappeared so without knowing the name of the player, it is hard to help much. I don't know if whatever player it was might be incompatible with the new Google TV Android version.

11. ChrisG8