Quantcast

Mythbuntu and the New GTV boxes - are we there yet?

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by chopper, Sep 5, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

The question is can the new GTV boxes play Mythbuntu recorded content without the need to transcode?

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

I now have visions of a Myth TV Front End App that allows recorded content to be served up to the TV and Movies App on GTV! This would be the next game changer!!!

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Can anyone make sense of the info provided and tell me if the Revue or the new Sony box could play any of the codecs/video format options? To me it looks like the playback of recorded content on Myth TV will work on at least the new Sony box!

MythTV, Open Source DVR (specifically item 10.5 Recording codec/formats)

Sony NSZ -GS7 plays:
    H.264, DivX, Xvid, WMV, MPEG2 / H.262, FLV, AVI, MP4, M4V, MKV, MOV, ASF, MPEG-1

So the question is is MPEG2/H.264 different than just plain old MPEG2?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

This is what I want on GTV but with Movie Sheets instead of lists of content!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  5. chopper

chopper Active Member

Can someone who has Myth TV and Google TV/Android Device try this out?

Mitty has the ability to play Samba shares and Myth TV has the ability to share recorded content in this manner.

Link on how to get it set up on the Myth TV side:

Mediashares - MythTV Official Wiki

Myth TV has the ability to edit out TV commercials and this would be the ultimate use for Google TV IMHO!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is another vision I have of what the new Sony GTV paired with Myth TV could ultimately become:

Oh, and I also forgot to mention that a Myth TV/GTV combo may end up being a great local network solution for a HULU work around!

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You seem excited about possibilities for Google TV and Myth TV but I don't know what it would mean really. Is Myth TV working well with Windows PCs now? If not, I think many of us probably won't be up to the task.

9. chopper

chopper Active Member

I think once the 1st you tube video is made showing this working with DVR recorded content on GTV in movie sheet style then the interest will grow. I also believe this could create a lot of buzz for GTV in general as it would fullfil the promise of a clever new way to enjoy your DVR recorded content. Cable companies will eventually incorporate such a feature into their own cable boxes IMHO. If the prize is worth the effort many will figure out how to do this for themselves. I also believe Myth TV is a doable project for the average do it yourselfer as linux is easier to use these days and there are plenty of people out there on forums like this willing to help. Personally, I have just found my reason to get the new Sony box now if I just had the spare time to build a Myth TV box to serve up the content. Still, others may find it easier to serve up DVR style content via a windows based alternative such as Sage TV. Further, I now have visions of a Google partnership for a GTV box with a baked in DVR for G3? For now I have asked this fellow to make a you tube video to demonstrate this new functionality to all who are interested.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Myth TV for Ipad is awesome and would be a major game changer for GTV as well!!!