Quantcast

Myth TV Front End App for Google TV!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Jan 6, 2013.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

This is huge!!! It's just want I have been waiting for! I predict this is going to be much better than the Primetime App or at least a good rival. For those unaware Myth TV is a home made DVR. So now users will be able to access their recordings on GTV. Thus far the Sony NSZ GS7 stands out as the front runner for this App as I believe it will play the codec Myth TV records in natively without the need to transcode. The non-GTV Archos TV Connect just might be a good contender for use with this App as well!

So far no You Tube vids have surfaced for this App so instead here is a look at what Myth TV brings to the game:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Myth TV users have the option of having their back end box automatically edit out commercials:

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is something I would suggest the dev try to incorporate into his App for GTV!

4. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Would be interesting on how it works with the google tv before plopping down $5.

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

I am sure it will be basic at first and get better over time. Users will need to build a Myth TV backend 1st or the App will be useless. The dev. has set up a suggestions web site so users can have a say in how this evolves. I will post a You Tube vid of this in action on GTV as soon s one becomes available. In the mean time here is a link to his suggestions site:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

So the myth tv is a homemade DVR. Forgive me on this. How is this different from my dish DVR being accessed by my google tv?

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Found this on Google+ tonight and it's free and it side loads on GTV right from the link and appears to work:

"Mythtv for Android testers welcome!

Tonight we talked extensively about Mythtv .25 and the new Myth Services API.

With that, we discussed a new project: Mythtv for Android. If you are interested in testing out a very beta version, you can find the APK at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14169722/mythtv-for-android/mythtv-for-android.apk

If you are interested in seeing the code, it is located at Github: https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android"

I guess I will now build myself a myth front end out of an old retired PC I have kicking around the house!

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

What this does is allow users who don't have a Dish Network DVR with GTV subscription to obtain what you have been enjoying for some time now. You could cancel your DVR and the GTV plan and build a Myth TV box and run it from a Dish Set top box instead if you wish and save some cash! I believe Myth TV also works for OTA users as well! Personally, I am looking forward to saving the $15 plus a month my provider charges for DVR service and will be going this route soon.

9. chopper

chopper Active Member

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

11. drhill

drhill Member

I have a mythtv setup to play around with, but I haven't gotten my recordings to work great yet. I believe that's on me as I have it auto remove commercials and re-encode the mpeg2 stream to h264 using handbrake. I need to play around with my script more. The auto remove commercials is a bit hit and miss, but the re-encode has big problems sometimes.

I would love a front end mythtv app to try... but only if it includes live TV (have a GT1 so mine does mpeg2) without re-encoding.

12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think we can call this development huge. Myth TV has been around quite a while, I have never seen anything that makes me believe it has been anything other than a tiny niche enthusiasts hobby software package. Windows Media Center isn't huge but it is colossal compared to Myth TV. Still for those that want to mess with it, good luck.

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Is there any way to make MythTV work on GTV without a computer?

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

When I looked at it years ago, it was only Linux operating system computers but it has expanded to include Windows somewhere along the way.

MythTV in Detail

If a version that will run on Google TV is coming, using an attached tuner and hard drive without computer, that would be cool.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  15. chopper

chopper Active Member

Right now you need an old PC and a tuner card like the HD Homerun along with a cable box or OTA antenna! This is what they call a back end! The front end can be an App that is written for GTV or an Android device etc. You currently need both a front end end a back end to use this App! For one of those Apps someone mentioned on Google+ that it only currently works with the .26 version of the back end. I call this huge because for GTV users in other countries there is no Primetime and this may be actually a better App over time. I am going to suggest DVR recording playlists be added to this App. So imagine using voice search on your TV recordings and then saying add Big Bang Theory to playlist etc. add to that commercials being edited out and possible future gesture support and you are getting the idea!

16. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Does Myth TV work with Satellite providers or just Cable/OTA only?

17. chopper

chopper Active Member

Both options work together or separately!

18. chopper

chopper Active Member

The dev for this App is frequently posting his updated Myth TV App info. We have conversed a little and I can confirm that there are plans to add voice search to this app once all the bugs are ironed out. I think the dev may also implement playlists for DVR recorded content in the future as suggested by yours truly. Perhaps the playlists could also be voice controlled!

19. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Sorry, so is that a "yes" for it works with Satellite providers?

20. chopper

chopper Active Member

You can use it with Satellite or Cable TV Providers or OTA.

• Like Like x 2