Quantcast

my revue bit the dust (logitech will not matain its servers) and i bought a Sony

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

my revue has met its maker.. Step 7 not authenticate.. + logitech tech support = a big bag of suck... so i bought a sony snz-gt1... and the difference is astounding.. im not sure what logitech did with the video processing but sony is just much much better.. it may be the 1080p up conversion but the color processing and image quality is just very much better.. codec support.. again.. i can play most any file type.. speed.. the extra .5 ghz really helps out.. it just seems more zippy.. mem space..

why i did not buy a co-star.. or new sony gtv.. there is just not value added with the new plat form.. i dont need or want voice search.. the apps market will not tax a 1.7 ghz so untill something changes in the google tv op sys.. that calles for more then single core processor.. i will be very happy to poke along with my Sony.. and i dont think the heat issue has been addressed in the marvell chipset. the heat sink only idea is not getting the job done.. all you have to do is look for the over heating issues in amazon.. and else where.. its just not a solid build.. i think the intel with a fan is much more stable.. and i will take stability over glitz of under used processors. perhaps i will jump in at GTV3.. but im waiting to see in the linux version of xbmc ever gets a video buffering capability.. or a root becomes avail for the new google tv boxes that will allow XBMC to run.. but i just dont like the architecture of the new sony or co star.. or the key board config.. you should not have to jump through hoops to keep a cpu from over heating.. they should have seen that issue in R n D.. thats a deal ender...

so thats why i going old school.. if google tv ever develops enough to where a 2core processor is needed.. then perhaps GTV1 will be replaced...
    but as of right now.. i dont see it.. if you can and dont mind not having voice search,,, i would pickup a GTV nsz-gt1.. its not perfect.. but its a more refined experience then the revue.. kinda wish i went with the sony from the start now..

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have two Logitech Revues and two Sony NSZ-GT1s, I am in agreement the NSZ-GT1 is better but not by the margin you suggest, not even close. Of course if the better codec support is needed, than the NSZ-GT1 works and the Logitech Revue would not, I just don't have much in the way of local files and either box handles my needs. I find the NSZ-GT1 is slightly more stable, fewer crashes and a little faster menu processing. I much prefer the Logitech K700 keyboard to the Sony controller so I operate the NSZ-GT1 using the Logitech Revue keyboard. These are the only two boxes I have used but from what I have read, I would conclude the NSZ-GT1 is the best box to date but not if you want the new features only accessible by the new ARM processors. The only member here that I am aware of owning all 4 boxes to date, mcd2000 has indicated his favorite is the NSZ-GT1 as well.

Sony has been timely with updates and done a better job than Logitech and I would expect the gap in that regard to get greater over time. As things stand right now, I use both boxes without complaint, my Logitech Revues have been really good. The way I use the boxes, the difference is just not enough for me to worry about replacing the Revues. If the Sony NSZ-GP9 is released and affordable, that would become kill of the hill for me.

3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

perhaps i am a bit overstating it... but i did a side by side on the two, same settings on the Hd samsung.. same hdmi port.. and the blacks were a great deal deeper.. it showed a true 1080p contrast.. it may be that the revue dose not play well with my comcast box or the magnavox up scaling vid recorder,, but there are some there is a thread PQ being affected afer the 3.1 up date on the logitech forum.. some pretty angry folks.. i tend to agree - logitechs overlay seems to soften the image.. but i have some sour grapes after being screwed over by their tech support so it may be that as well.. i will say the revue is too reliant on the logitech servers and all the handshaking required for them to provide solid technical support to the user base,,, but again,, sour grapes....

i like the sony and will buy sony again.... logitech? its a great box... but the back end tech support is horrid. on a side note., i did pair my revue kb to the nsz but for the life of me i cannot figure out an off on switch for the box,,, other then using my remote that came with the sony,,, seem that going ir for the on off switch instead of blu tooth.. would have been a better call,, but its a small quibble...

4. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I had a Revue (still do but it is in a drawer and not being used at this time) but then bought the newest Sony ZGoogle TV box the NSZ-GS7 and I noticed right away as did another person that the video was much better than the Revue. Deeper blacks and the colors are better.
    The Sony is also much faster and I love how they have been sending out updates every month.

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

Ok, one week into owning the old snz-gt1, after doing side by side test and such.. i have noticed a few things the gt1 offers that seem to miss on the revue.. true 24hrz motion... this is huge.. worth the price of admission mho... my revue never tripped this feature off on my samsung... but the gt1 seem to really work well with it.. it lends a more theater cadence to viewing films and stuff.. on internet like page surfs and stuff it will display 60 herz.. but when it switches over to any video content it will switch to 24hrz.. up scaling... it will take the signal from my cable box and upscale from sd to hd.. not true hd but a hell of a lot better then the revue did... that was a big complaint i had with the revue.. soft picture.. runs at a cooler temp.. things im not so thrilled about... some of the video sources off of plex seem not be work with the sony... perhaps the codecs are a bit different... dunno.. and perhaps the site has changed... but its not a huge issue.. enough of the servers work that there is plenty of content.. no off switch via remote..... you need the original remote to turn on the gt1... sony kinda screwed the user with this deal.. but it is what it is... so far.. i will say this is the best version of gtv.. even vs the new boxes... because of the over heating and clunky remote problems...
    i think i will wait and see what the new box by asus or that other one... d-link... perhaps it will have better cooling and a less clunky remote..

or i will just wait for the next version of the Pivos Xios,, but that has nothing to do with gtv.. its a linux flavored android box..
    just a bit too under powered for transcoding right now... buffering issues.. but it may be addressed through xbmc..

still waiting for logitech to adress the step 7 issue.. they just keep emailing me saying they are working on a solution..