Quantcast

My list of gripes (Dec 27 2011)

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Shink, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Shink

Shink New Member

Just a rant, after owning the system for a month, that could help prospective buyers. I add the date to the title in case some of these get fixed/changed.

1) HDMI 1.3 causes me to jump through hoops. If I want to watch the 3D channels on DirecTV, I have to bypass the Sony. Since there doesn't seem to be a 1x2 switcher out there, it means I have to physically switch HDMI cables. Despite this, I am willing to do this to keep my GoogleTV "in line," which tells you how much I like it.

2) No 3D Blu Ray support. Even if it does get it eventually, it will be HDMI 1.3 version and not support the best 3D modes. The end of the year is looking unlikely at this point, but hopefully they get something by the end of January - I would really like to judge the quality before breaking down and purchasing a Blu Ray player that properly supports 3D.

3) DirecTV integration is non-existent whereas Dish Network's is awesome. I recently switched and really miss the deeper integration with Dish. I assume this is DirecTV's fault (DTV also doesn't allow you to integrate HBOGo with Roku, for example) - I feel Dish is much more customer friendly. Wish I didn't switch, but c'est la vie.

4) There seems to be no rhyme or reason where you can use the mouse and where you can't. The mouse doesn't really work that well anyway.

5) No IR control at all - sorry Harmony owners. I have found that my Panasonic "VieraConnect" will control some features of the device via HDMI, so not a total loss, but infrared control of the Blu Ray player would have been nice.

6) Netflix streams are not as good as those on my Roku 2 box. Not sure why, but the quality is visibly better on Roku.

7) Minor quibble, but the URL bar in Chrome is way too sensitive given the cruddy mouse. A lot of websites put navigation elements at the top of web pages, but when I go to click on them, the URL bar will pop up and get in the way.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Shink wrote: "7) Minor quibble, but the URL bar in Chrome is way too sensitive given the cruddy mouse. A lot of websites put navigation elements at the top of web pages, but when I go to click on them, the URL bar will pop up and get in the way."

---------------------------------------------------------------
    +1

I totally agree. The old way (in version 2.1) was far superior. Also this is a problem on the bottom of the screen - where often controls are 'covered up' by the black URL bar on the bottom (when the cursor touches the bottom of the screen). IMO this is not a "Minor Quibble". Supposedly the 3.1 update improves and simplifies the interface. I don't see it that way.