Quantcast

My impressions thus far of the logitech revue and google tv

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by JimMariner, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Now this is early on, I only received mine today (10/23/2010) via UPS. I know I complained easier about best buy, but the revue did ship pretty quick. Posting for overnight does help.

It sure did look purdy in the box. The installation was easy, nothing bad to report here. The set up was just a easy. I hardwired it. I want the fastest speed off my network possible. As I first fired the revue up, it asked about doing the firmware update instantly. So I let it do its thing. Then after it was back up and tuning after a self reboot to install the latest software I have it the proper information for my email and system settings, I was set to start playing.

The keyboard is very easy to use. Wish the mouse pad had double tap though. Navigation was easy. Signing into my netflix account work as any other device I have ever added to it. I need to play more with it still on netflix. I only saw my query, not new choices. But I could have missed something. I was in a rush, school is almost out, time to bring the little one home. The movies I did play were as good a my ps3 or computer.

I did get to go into my home network servers. Has no tribble navigating my network. It played some of my avi files, but not all of them. It played my mp4 files to. I was able to access all my network devices as if I was on my computer, so this was good too.

I played with some youtube content, you really have to look for HD content though. The std def stuff looked nasty. But this was to be expected.

I am looking forward to playing with more of it in about an hour.

More to follow.
    Sent via my droidx
    And swype :)

2. nagmier

nagmier New Member

So there is a network browse? like it will browse my windows file shares? That is an EPIC win if thats the case I was afraid I was going to have to use DLNA software... lmk

3. natey1

natey1 New Member

You will have to use DLNA software, although some Windows 7 shares that it never configured showed up but they may have been DLNA as well

4. Karen

Karen New Member

Does this mean a pc that has Viiv is enough? Or do I need more software or (worse) more hardware?

5. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Had a side track to the hospital, minor stuff, not me. Gf. She had a disagreement with a glass of water. The glass put up a tough fight but she beat it to splinters.

Will finish my impressions of the revue later tonight. If I ever get to escape from here.

From bedside in the hospital
    On my droid x :)

6. outbackpaul

outbackpaul New Member

Hope all turns out well at the hospital.

7. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Thank You for that Paul ! Everything looks good they say. :)

Finally back home, but it's getting late, not sure how much playing with the Revue will happen tonight.
    If i do, I will post the rest here.

8. Karen

Karen New Member

Thanks, JimMariner. So happy to hear all is well..

9. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

So more on the Revue,

I don't link not having double click on the mouse. I prefer my touchpads to work this way. I am surprised that Logitech did not put this into the Revue touchpad. Maybe it's an Android issue.

(This has been fixed using this info form nerdkill - http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-faqs/172-enable-track-pad-clicking.html )

I know we are the firs to play with these devices. Being we are, it is our job as the lead runners in ownership to make these complaints in an open forum for others to read and hopefully, Logitech or Google may see as well. To have them fixed.

Netflix is nice on it, but only plays your query, doesn't allow you to make new additions on the Google TV App.

I tried watching video on NBC, and I think they are throttling back content streaming to Google Devices. I have the fastest Cable I can buy, and it tells me I don't have the bandwith for HD either. SyFy channel has no trouble streaming content to it.

I had to go into settings and manually adjust for my TV's resolution. It didn't set it up automatically. Picture is much better now that I have set it to 1080i.

Wonder when the OS will be upgraded, it's still running Android 2.1.

10. nagmier

nagmier New Member

Wow thanks Jim... 2.1??? Have you checked any flash websites... I'm starting to think they may have shoehorned Flash Lite in there and thats not cool, that would actually start to make me pretty upset at Google as they are starting to play the Microsoft and Apple Lying to get customers game and I'm not ok with that if thats the case... I'm also highly disappointed you can't browse netflix in app... what the hell is the point then? I'd think that netflix would even have its content searchable through the search bar... grrrr I can already tell being a power user is going to make this experience an issue for me... here's to hoping I don't return the Logitech Box... I'd like to see GTV Daniel chime in with his thoughts. I for one will certainly make my voice heard loud and clear on any issues I have with the device

11. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Someone mentioned Logitech wireless kb's work with GTV...I wonder if he/she could confirm the touchpad double-clickability (is that a word?). :)

12. coug

coug New Member

There is a keyboard combination to use that activates tapping the touch pad. Search the help, I stumbled on it. I do not have the system in front of me, but will post the sequence when I get home.

13. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv New Member

The keyboard combination is SHIFT+CTRL+ALT and CHN+ though it seems to quickly forget it, so you'll be doing it often. I wish there was a permanent preference you could set to turn this on or off.

14. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Yeah, what a tease that was, I hope someone comes up with a LOCK for it. It doesn't last long.

15. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

@Nagmier and everyone,

I'm happy to relate that a new Netflix app is in development and will be released in the coming months. I don't have any information at the moment about how the search results will be integrated into the QSB search, but the app itself will provide increased functionality.

We're following up with Logitech about the touch pad tap issue. They're aware of it, and I'll update you when I hear something.

Happy viewing/surfing,
    Daniel
    Google TV Team

16. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Thank You for that info Daniel, I am looking forward to the touchpad fix. I am also interested in the new Netflix App, as I use it often.

17. nagmier

nagmier New Member

What he said! Thanks again GTV Daniel for being a part of our community and relaying the info to us! I'm sure that once the SDK is released there will be plenty of 3rd Party add-ons that can do it, with the Netflix API being public its just a matter of time and something I would have liked to have seen out of the box, never the less I'm really happy so far...

One thing that I have noticed I would like to see is the ability to add individual apps to the "Home" screen on the left Logitech gives us the ability to add "applications" but not a direct link to say... Netflix

18. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Glad to be of help! Your feedback is immensely helpful to us as we work to improve the user experience, so keep it coming. :)

-Daniel
    Google TV team

19. LAF

LAF New Member

Hello, how can I play MP4 video files using the Logitech Review? When I try to play MP4 files, it says there is no MP4 player installed.

thx!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  20. PatrickRhodus

PatrickRhodus New Member

I hate google tv. It is junk and I wish I knew then what I know now. $400 down the drain. Why won't google get on the ball and get us apps that make for an experience. I was happy recently to see that on SPOTLIGHT they improved this section. What we need here on SPOTLIGHT is the option to add our own spotlights. I'd like to add on an app or widget so I could watch TV- Links dot eu... No wonder people are afraid to drop their iPhones for these android phones. I have an iphone and the apps are much more applicable to what I want. Is an android phone app limited to like google tv, since I only have experience with android and google tv is it not good. I feeel jipped.