Quantcast

My GTV keep locking up

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by malaugh, Jan 7, 2013.

1. malaugh

malaugh New Member

I got the Sony NSZ-GS7 for Christmas. I really like it, but it has a big problem. I have the HDMI from the cable box going into the GTV, and the HDMI from the GTV going to the TV. Everything worked fine for about a week, but a couple of times over the weekend, when I turned on the TV, there was no signal. The GTV was turned off, and when I tried to turn it on, nothing happened when I pushed the power button on the remote. I had to unplug the AC cord and plug it back on to get the unit to turn on. After power cycling, the TV got a signal, and if I powered down the GTV, the TV still had a signal. I have had no problems when the unit is on.

I have the box set to "normal" power saving mode, not energy saver mode. If I set energy saver, the box has to be on or the HDMI signal will not be sent to the TV.

I think I am going to return it. Anyone had the same problem?

2. jfrisbee

jfrisbee New Member

I was/am having this same problem. Unfortunately I can't offer a solution. I too got mine for Christmas and have been enjoying it a lot except for the occasional lock-up & crash. I can't pinpoint the exact problem, but I'm starting to think it might be the new Primetime Guide. It seems that when I am exploring the app then try to exit, it locks up. Not always but sometimes. I can also tell that my TV signal is tryind to get through while this lock-up is happening because I can hear it make fractions of a sound with occasional flashes of the screen. Sometimes it resolves itself, other times, it doesn't. It's frustrating, but I'm not quite ready to kick this thing to the curb yet. I hope there is an eventual fix that comes because I like the Primetime Guide and would hate to not be able to use it.

3. vhdcinema

vhdcinema New Member

Are they updated to the latest firmware yet?

Turn off Quick Start Up.

4. malaugh

malaugh New Member

Thanks for the advice. I have the latest firmware, and if I turn off quick start, it does not pass the HDMI signal through the box when it is switched off. Is this normal? Its been OK for the last couple of days. I will try it for a week and return it of it happens again.

Overall I like the box, it fits my needs of watching You Tube and surfing the web. I do not think it has a chance to survive in the market unless there is some drastic changes though. I would like to see:

1) Fix the bugs.
    2) Get Hulu to make an app.
    3) Get Amazon to make an app. (a real one, not one that just starts the web page).
    3) Get Vudu to make an app.
    4) Remove the restrictions on viewing content on the browser.

I think these do not happen (and soon) Roku, or WD, which already supports all the major streaming services will win. Its not worth the money just to surf the web if you need a second box for the streaming services.