Quantcast

My first day Imrepessions.

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by suade907, Oct 26, 2010.

1. suade907

suade907 New Member

I know there are more people like me out there that are trying to read every impression they can find so here is my short experience with Google tv. You should know ahead of time that I'm using a older 46" Sony projection tv with a fantastic picture for a 720p TV, also I have a Direct tv HR21 DVR box, and the logitech revue.

I received my unit after work this evening and have been playing with it off and on or the last 6 hours. Upon getting it out of the box I found that I didn't even need the instructions. I setup my google tv in a few minutes opting for a wired network connection rather than a wireless. During the setup it mentioned that it may take up to 20 minutes for the update but in reality it took probably less than 1. I was very surprised as I have read many other people online taking 10-20. After the update I had to setup my directv and tv which was a breeze. Honestly it was very easy and from start to finish was probably only a few minutes spending most of my time figuring out what channels I'd let google tv recognize on my Directv.

After the setup I played around with pretty much everything I could. I currently have my directv box outputting 1080i and my google tv the same. Even though my tv is only 720p it seemed to get a better picture over 1080i from my sources prior to google tv but I plan on trying the 720p feature in the future just to see if there is a difference. I did notice at first that my image quality was different, It's hard to say really, at first I was put off but I think I've adjusted to it. But it almost seems like the video was not quite as fast. Now that I'm used to it I don't notice it anymore but I'm gonna keep my eyes on it to see if they feel strained at the end of a long session. I have yet to watch any high motion sports but from my initial impressions my experience has not been as bad as some I have read online.

One thing I had noticed is that the pass through video has somehow darkened my image and removed some of the pop it had before hooking up google tv. My image now looks like what I would get when my tv's bulb starts to get alot of hours on it. The darks get darker and the image slightly more washed out. It's hardly bad but the video processor in the actual logitech unit is not as good as the one in my directv box. I had to end up tweaking my display settings some to get the image close to what it was but it's still a little off. So far it's not a deal breaker and I hope logitech releases updates to hopefully brighten the image a little.

Ok aside from the image issue I started to play. I setup netflix, pandora, napster, and pretty much everything I could try. Everything worked very well. The netflix app only has your instant que but worked very well and the image quality was very good. But again I felt that my Xbox 360 had a little better image partly due to the revue image being slightly darker than normal. The movies seemed to play perfectly fine. I tried the amazon movies and tv trailers in hd and not. In hd they are very good, pretty much the same quality as netflix in HD and remarkably the sd trailers were very good as well. I would imagine it's due to my tv just being a 720p tv I don't get the super high detail some of you guys with the 1080p tv's might get which would allow you to better distinguish between SD and HD.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the video portion. I decided to then tinker with the web stuff. The browser works just fine and is as fast as you will get with a good netbook. I played numerous flash HD videos and they play nice. I like to go to gametrailers.com and try their HD clips and sure enough the revue did a fantastic job. No glitches at all. I was surprised. The browser itself is tv friendly and tuned for a tv experience. Basically what I mean is that it is a watered down pc browser. You lose some of the bells and wistles you've come accstomed too but from what I've read they are buried in there somewhere. Like tabs, and a normal address bar among other little quirks.

The search button is pretty amazing, when you type something it searches everything. Tv, movies, web, videos and so on. It's fast too. I thought with me having directv I would not get all the features I've seen online but it has enough to make me happy and the remote works seemlessly. I love that I can search what's on now and get a list for any category. And just pick a show and it take me straight there.

As far as my web experience and me being on a 720p projection tv. The revue does a good job. This is not a perfect monitor. I've tried hooking a pc to it in the past and it always worked very good but never filled the screen all the way. There was no setting to fill it either. With the revue I don't have that issue anymore. I realize my tv may not be the best for this product but it does work very well and the internet is completely usable with a good picture and clear text. I wish I had a 1080p flatscreen but it's not in the budget yet. Overall I'm happy with everything I've experienced thus far.

I've had a few quirks since setting it up. I was playing audio in pandora and paused the song because I couldn't figure out how to exit the app and stop the music. But about a half an hour later the music just started to play completely on it's own. I also had a low resources issue that I had to soft reset for when I left a hd flash movie paused on the web and came back a hour later. I wish they had a way to close the apps or web browser that seemed easier. But I guess they are sticking to the android way which is ok with me as long as the music stays paused.

As far as the keyboard this thing it truly a marvel when it comes to operating everything. I had a xbox 360 harmony remote a long time ago and I hated it because of the delay, it was so slow. But this keyboard is very fast everything works, and it's fast. The keys are nice to type with but it's no perfect keypad. I'd say if your favorite keyboard is a 10 and a crappy chiclet keyboard was a 2 this would be a 6. When it comes to controls this would be a 9. I have yet to figure out how to 30 second skip and 8 second repeat on my direct tv but once I do I'd give it a 10. It would be nice to be able to tap the touchpad on links. But I like the placement of the left button in the top left corner. It does take some getting used to this thing but after a while all is good. It's a little flimsy but seems ok once you use it.

a couple of things to note. I will be keeping my logitech revue. I played a few games on miniclip.com it's a flash based game website. The revue runs most of them slow but it can run them. I tried logging into my kids webkinz but it stopped responding so I'm not sure if that one works. If you have directv don't sweat the lack of network based control or access. It's almost a non issue. You will never notice it. I think the only thing missing is the lack of the ability to search your own recordings.
    Overall I'll give the revue a 6 (Edit: the eye strain issue and framerate has been a minor annoyance to me) if they get that video issue fixed where it darkens my picture and fix a few quirks it will get a 10 from me. But I still have yet to test it on football. So I'll check back on this after the weekend and update it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Edit: just got done switching my directv box and google tv to both 720p. I have to say my web text is now razor sharp and the overall web experience seems much cleaner. I did lose a little detail on my directv but I think the trade off was worth it.

Edit: I sure wish the keyboard had a scroll wheel on the right side of the touchpad.

Edit: After some more time using the revue I have realized that the pass thru video is definitely somehow affecting the quality video. I'm feeling eye strain after prolonged use and I can detect visual artifacts from time to time. It's obvious that the video chip in the revue is not quite rendering the video feed the same as the directv would have. It's almost like a old CRT monitor feeling with the screen refresh. How it is constantly refreshing but you can't quite tell. For the revue it kind of feels like that. But also it feels as if you are losing frames somewhere. I tried to watch the show archer last night which is a animated series.They use a sort of fast motion animation so it was more noticable then say regular tv. The characters were very glitchy when I had never noticed it before. I'm not sure if this is something logitech can fix but I'm gonna change my revue's review score to adjust for this. If they can fix this I swear this device deserves a perfect 10 but if I'm getting eye strain from watching regular tv I'm sure I'm not the only one and maybe they will get their butts in gear and take care of it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. lokivog

lokivog New Member

Hi suade907, this is very interesting to me because I just received my google tv this past weekend and on Sunday I was watching live NFL football (huge sports fanatic) and I couldn't get over the fact at how slow and degraded the image quality seemed. I didn't want to believe it because I just paid $300 for this cool new toy but after my fiancée commented about how it kind of looks like we are watching it as if it was on a computer screen, I knew there was definitely an issue with the image quality. I immediately un-hooked it from my tv/cable box and it was back to normal. This is very disappointing to me because 3/4 of what I watch is live sports. You mentioned you have read else where online of other people sharing their bad experience, I have searched hard to try and find this and haven't found any other reviews of people talking about this. Would you mind posting the links of those reviews, I am very interested in reading them as I would like to hear other peoples experience on this matter. Thanks.

3. suade907

suade907 New Member

4. susan

susan New Member

Hooked everything up and started on screen setup. One of the first steps is to maximize the size of the viewing area, expanded to fill the screen as directed and completed setup. Booting up is SLOW...over 5 minutes! I then activated the internet and found that videos requiring a player will not work on this system. This was my reason for buying, to watch flash videos from a membership site on our home gym tv.
    TV does not work inside of the system so I changed the input back to "tv." (This may be an issue with my TV model) Now the size of my viewing area for my tv has SHRUNK! Let me be clear...Revue setup directed me to ENLARGE viewing area inside of their setup. Now the area has SHRUNK when switched back to tv mode.
    This morning I called "support" about the issue. Rude Andrew told me that the Revue system had nothing to do with my tv screen resolution/size. I rebutted: YOUR setup system required that I make adjustments to the viewing area THROUGH your device. When I switch OFF of your system (and when I disconnect it entirely) the viewing area on my original system has shrunk and it has nothing to do with your system? Using the tv remote I ran through the tv's screen modes, none of them fill the screen now.
    I then asked Andrew how to reset through the Revue. He says there is no way, agian arguing that Revue has nothing to do with it. Critical thinking engaged here? Obviously not. I ask for a supervisor and am told there is none. I ask for number to corporate and am told that he has no idea. Really?
    I look up corporate on the internet and ask for escalation (which Andrew SHOULD have engaged for me). No one knows how to fix the problems that their system caused. I was offered a refund, but waht about returning my tv to it's original state?
    RUN FROM THIS PRODUCT! It was released far too early and "support" is ill-trained. Escalation noted that there are many problems and they just don't know how to fix them. Be aware, any site that has videos that need a "player" on your computer WILL NOT WORK! It seems that "apps" are coming in a few months, but no one knows if a "player" will be included.
    So, who will pay a technician to come out and try to reset my tv screen viewing area?

5. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

Hi Susan, so tell us how long have you worked for apple? I have had NONE of the issues you have, my revue works great and is AWESOME. Cannot wait for the app store, its gonna take make a great device unreal.

6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

This quality in picture differences is interesting hearing from you guys.
    Usually I always look for a difference between different media forms.
    I too have direct tv, and personally, I did not notice any difference what-so-ever...
    Maybe to do with the tv inners working??
    I also watch lots of live sports, and never noticed any choppiness at all...
    I'm curious if more people have or have not seen a difference in picture quality??
    Maybe a poll coming up??

7. JPKenneth

JPKenneth New Member

The picture quality on my Revue is great. I,m using a composite to HDMI converter from a non HDMI Moto STB to the Revue on to a Philips HDMI TV.

8. suade907

suade907 New Member

Since my original post my revue has updated a few times. I can now say that since the updates my revue picture quality and performance has been near perfect. My video has been silky smooth even in football, as well as the image being slightly brighter than it used to be. The only issues I ever have are sometimes when playing flash videos from one site the flash plug in will crash. Other than that I'm very happy. I also now have a brand new 1080p tv. One other thing to note is that when you change your resolution to 1080p your browser speed slows a bit compared to 720p.

To the person above the revue does not affect your screen resolution at all, that setting you adjusted is only for adjusting the resolution of the google tv software. The stuff that pops up over your video. Also just remove the revue from your hdmi hookups and go straight to the tv and your tv will go back to normal. There is no reason for a technician that's just silly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

I hate to say it, but this really does sound like user error. I'm guessing that you changed the aspect ratio of your TV, and it would be a simple fix (there should be a "format" button on your remote).

As far as streaming video, GTV does support Flash, however, it sounds like the site you are choosing doesn't use the default Flash video player, but some custom player instead (what site are you trying to stream from?)

The stretching of your screen that was done through the setup didn't change anything on your TV, all it did was adjust the signal being exported from the GTV device.