Quantcast

My experience with the Costar...Not too good

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by kenbarnum, Nov 8, 2012.

1. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

This is what I posted to twitter and then my results from discussing my problems with Vizio.
    I am a Google fanboy and I am unhappy with the GoogleTV progress.
    My main reason to post is to inform people who would expect (like me) that the Costar should be better in many ways than the Revue which came a year and a half earlier.
    I feel like I wasted $100 bucks but it is a learning lesson that you can't always be a 1st adopter (I was in the 1st preorder wave).

I F'ing hate my @vizio #Costar. So bad @everything when it could've easily learned from @Logitech & their mistakes. 1- fix hbogo stream
    @VIZIO 2 - add a splash screen and an led on front. Never know if its on #costar
    @VIZIO 3 - fix video dropouts - random black screen for 1 sec in amazon, Netflix, HBO etc... #costar
    @VIZIO 4 - fix stability -random black screens w no way 2 know if its on or what app is open. ends up TV app or @netflix forced closed
    @VIZIO 5 - Bluetooth on remote forgets link #costar
    @VIZIO 6 - remote can't be used as universal - no way to select the device u want 2 control. Duh. #costar
    @VIZIO 7 - so laggy - 1-2 sec lag after all key presses. Ugh. #costar
    @VIZIO 8 - overheat much. Jesus. #costar... I wanted to love it so much

Vizio's response: @kenbarnum thanks for the feedback. Feel free to call us at (877) 698-4946 and we can help out! @VIZIOsupport

I called and talked to them after this. They wrote down all of my problems plus the lack of ability to stay connected to the network.
    The CSR told me that they knew about all of these problems.
    We discussed that some of the problems are obviously 1st generation hardware and won't be fixed until 2nd generation.
    She told me that the other problems were all already under their radar and there would be a firmware patch sometime in January or later.

I think this is unacceptable. Like I said, this is just my experience. I am quite tech-savvy and I know my way around Google products (OG Droid, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Revue) so these are not operator error problems.

I have read a lot of @Wisdom's answers and fixes. I implemented some of them and gotten a better experience but just be aware that this product needs A LOT of handholding and it still underperforms.

Sorry for the rant...

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the box. Unfortunately you aren't alone with your disappointment and I know many users agree with you. For my needs, Google TV has been great but I don't have a Co-Star, I am happy with the first generation models. From what I have read, I am confident I could make the second generation models, including the Co-Star serve my needs as well but I have read enough complaints not to question others that don't agree. I really want this platform to take off and gain some market acceptance, even thought it is already best for my needs, it isn't going to improve unless it starts selling better and gets better reviews.

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have have two Vizio Co-Stars, purchased at different times, I have never ever had a problem with either of my Co-Stars, not even a hiccup ... They both works like a charm, smooth as silk ...

I have even added enhancements to my Co-Stars to improve performance and added beauty ... Why others are having problems with their Co-Star is kinda strange to me, unless they purchased a lemon Co-Star, that happens from time to time ...

Another Internet streaming video player a lot of people have problems with is the Boxee Box, but it works smooth as silk for me too ...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Why not just get a PC and hook it up to your TV with a remote that works with it? For me the number one thing I want from GTV is a device that just works. I am tired of jumping through hoops to get extra functionality out of this thing. The masses want simplicity as well not more and more complexity. For me not having GTV do everything I want it to do as a stand alone device will eventually be a deal breaker. Eventually someone else will make a device that just does it all effortlessly and there will be no more jumping through hoops.

5. ChrisG8

I have a PC for the things I want that Google TV doesn't do, primarily Hulu, it is not as pleasant to use in my opinion even though I use it with the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard to make it as close as possible. I see no chance we will ever have a single box that does it all. I don't think Hulu is going to offer their free service with these streaming boxes and PCs will always be blocked from some access like Vudu HD due to DRM concerns. Overall I can see that a PC comes closer to a single box solution than any other option for most people. I do jump through a lot of hoops and use several boxes at each display to handle all things I want, but I can do everything I want. My biggest priority requests for Google TV are Hulu Plus, Vudu, and a proper Amazon Prime app with access to all Amazon HD video.

Of course the fact I have so many boxes as my cord cutting solution negates the big savings people expect from cord cutting but I can say the cable company is not getting my money. Outside of lacking services I think Google TV should handle, I don't ever see any of the struggles so many complain about when using Google TV. It is clunky to use but clunky doesn't faze me.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks for your ideas: All I can say is you are in the minority my friend. The masses just want a box that can do what they need it to do easily and without the need to jump through hoops and buy additional equipment or set up things like Plex or fling things to GTV via a PC.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

How?

TIA

Carl

8. ChrisG8

The Logitech K700 Keboard works really well with a PC, it requires the unifying receiver. You can not use the same keyboard with a Revue and PC in the same room but can use up to six unifying devices with one PC, mice, keyboards, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Thanks, good to know!

10. BrettDaren

BrettDaren New Member

I will advice you to get a PC and attached it up to your TV with a remote. I thing more important is that to want from GTV is a device that really works. There are so much complexities involved. But box has always a favourite choice for so many others but good to share your experience