Quantcast

My DVR stuff is shrunken now??????

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by fitpays, Jan 25, 2011.

1. fitpays

fitpays New Member

Hey guys, when I watch my dvr stuff, it is in a much smaller box in the middle of the tv. Almost like when you watch something that is not HD, on an HD station. But this is shrunken all the way around, not just on the sides.

I maximized the screen in the settings using the arrows a couple times and it is still not helping. I also tried to change the resolution to no avail. Any ideas?

2. harley man

harley man New Member

you should tell us more info like it the revue or sony and what cable box you got i do not have that problem on my revue with verizon dvr

3. fitpays

fitpays New Member

my mistake. revue with comcast box.

4. joker

joker Guest

I have that same issue, especially with movies from Amazon, but, I know they show in letterbox or wide view. In my case, it's just how the movies show with the revue. Like you, I've tried all kinds of ways to get the full screen. Sucks to have a 53" screen & watch a movie on about a 36" screen.

5. fitpays

fitpays New Member

I talked to a guy at logitech support today via online chat. Worthless. After 15 minutes of him telling me it is my dvr or tv, he finally told me to call them. He maintained all along that my tv or cable box must need to be addressed. WTF? Everything was fine prior to installing this Revue. Why would the Revue change any of my tv or cable box settings? Also, it is only during certain shows. I could understand if it was putting bars along side of it, like what you experience during a non-HD program on an HD channel. This on the other hand, keeps it in 16:9 format, but just makes it smaller. Like Joker said, you pay for a big tv and then end up watching your program with a much smaller image. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The guy told me to call in, so I will do that after work today. Hopefully whomever takes my call will give this more attention than just saying "its not us, it must be someone else's fault". Come on, really?

6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking maybe your settings are off some how.
    Is your video setting in the native setting or auto??
    Both the box and tv have settings to could do this.

7. joker

joker Guest

It's not our tv's settings. Go to Amazon & rent a movie using the Revue & you will not get "full screen". I don't think the VOD movies on Amazon are HD. Try it & then tell us what your results were.

8. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I rent from Amazon frequently, usually TV episodes, and have the option of renting the HD or SD version. I've done both and were full screen in all cases. Once I click on "Watch Now On My Device", the screen goes black, with the rotating dots in the middle of the screen, then "loading" along the bottom, then a full screen image. I think sparkyscott21 may have a point about the settings; perhaps there is some conflict between the Revue and the TV where the net result is a shrunken screen. I like to start with the simple stuff first, like trying different HDMI cables, or using a different input on the TV, or trying component cables instead of HDMI, or rebooting the Revue/TV. And fitpays, I'm assuming that when you say it only happens during certain shows, you actually mean on certain channels, right? Otherwise, if it happens on some shows, and not others, on the same channel, then that's just crazy!

9. galfert

galfert Active Member

You said everything was working before. Did perhaps everything work before with HDMI or were you using some other type connection before hooking up the Revue? The Revue just serves as a passthough and does not change anything. What is input on HDMI is the same thing that comes out. So I think if you want to resolve your problem you need to first hook up your cable box with HDMI directly to your TV. Make changes on the cable box and/or TV to get things to look the way you would like. I would recommend that you tell both the cable box and TV to keep things normal and not do any stretching or zooming. Tell the Cable box that your TV is widescreen (16:9). Then after you got it all working good then put the Revue back into your system between cable box and TV. Nothing should change after you introduce the Revue into the configuration. Of course if you do all this and things don't go the way I just described then that is an unexpected result. So do report back and let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. joker

joker Guest

"When I check out a movie on Amazon, it says," HD comming soon to Google tv". I don't see any place that gives me a choice to rent HD or not. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  11. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I can't speak for movies, but I know not all TV shows are available on Amazon VOD in HD. Try searching for Glee and you'll see that it says "This Season Now Available in HD" and gives you the option to rent the HD Version. By the way, even when I rent NON-HD TV shows, they still fill the screen and the video quality is excellent.

12. harley man

harley man New Member

the last time i looked at amazon dose not have hd for google tv yet

13. rtalain

rtalain New Member

No new releases, but they definitely have some HD. I rented Sixteen Candles on Amazon VOD for my daughter in HD. We're watching it right now on Google TV.

14. harley man

harley man New Member

i just looked at amazon vod and no hd for google tv i even looked up 16 candles and it said hd comeing soon to google tv and it only had 1 price for renting . now on my ruko they give you a sd price and a hd price so just saying what i see on my end i can not rent hd on amazon yet on old or new movies

15. rtalain

rtalain New Member

harleyman,

Hit your search button and type in "sixteen candles" (no quotes). Select Search TV and Web Video. In the results, click on the "Movie" result. You should get 3 Amazon VOD choices, with the first one being HD.

I understand your confusion because if you go through the Amazon VOD app or through amazon.com, you do't get the HD option. I have no explanation whatsoever, but whenever I want to rent something, I always go through the search button, so I didn't experience the problems you had.

16. harley man

harley man New Member

ok here is what i see on my end your right when it dose show up as hd when you search with the revue useing google chrome but that could be because you can get it in hd for the other devices and not google tv but if you check hd price and sd both are 2.99 so i think you are not geting it hd they would not be the same price because on my roku they all ready have hd and sd and the price for hd is 399 and sd is 299 for that movie so you may not be get geting hd

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  17. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I see your point harleyman. For grins, try doing the same thing for the "Damages" and select the Series. Check Season 3, Episode 1 and click the HD version. They give you an HD trailer as a sample of the rental, and the HD version is $1 more than the SD version. Regardless, it would appear that HD content isn't exactly widespread on Amazon VOD.

18. harley man

harley man New Member

i did check that tv show and you are right you can get in hd so they are adding tv shows in hd and movies should be comeing soon in hd

19. joker

joker Guest

I wrote & asked Amazon customer service about HD movies for GTV & here is there reply:

Hello from Amazon,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

Most of the movies say "available soon in HD for Google tv" mean that the option/feature to view HD movies for Google tv will be coming soon and are currently not available only for "Google tv". For rest of the devices, the HD movies are available and the movies your are getting are HD only.

• Like Like x 2