Quantcast

My Chromebox Died After Only Ten Months

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 27, 2017.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

As I had mentioned previously in another thread - when my Logitech Revue died I ended up buying the Acer CXI2-4GKM chromebox. I liked it a lot although there were a few minor issues. Mainly with the two-finger scroll on the trackpad being a bit "clumsy" on some web sites. Also sometimes on YouTube the mouse cursor can be a bit laggy and "jumpy". But overall I would of rated it about 4 out of 5 stars. Web surfing was fast and web videos worked good.

However yesterday I was scrolling through some YouTube videos and my Chromebox just stopped working. The web page was frozen. I couldn't get anything on the keyboard to work. So I tried turning off the chromebox (and unplugging it) - but when I turned it back on it wouldn't boot up. There was no signal. It was "on" because the blue light in front was on - but the light just kept blinking which was wasn't normal. I spoke with Acer support on the phone - and we tried a factory reset from the pin-hole in back. But that led to getting a screen that says: "Chrome OS Is Missing Or Damaged". Nothing we tried could make it boot - so next there's supposed to be a way to re-install Chrome OS via a USB drive or a SD card. However it requires a second computer which I don't have.

So I took the Chromebox over to the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy. They tried to re-install
    Chrome OS but they couldn't get it to work. They're thinking it might be a hardware issue. But who knows. I searched on the internet for "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" - and apparently this is not an uncommon problem and it happens on various other Chrome OS devices from different manufacturers such as Samsung and Asus. Which makes me wonder what is the real cause of this issue?

Anyway I had a 1 year warranty from Acer - so I sent it back in to their repair center. However I had to pay the shipping. After it's fixed they will pay to ship it back to me.

Seeing as how it died after only 10 months - I would probably only rate it 2 stars. We'll see what happens when I get it back from the Acer repair center - but if it dies again within a few months I'll probably move on from chromeboxes and try something else with my next purchase.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Travel

Travel Active Member

You may want to try the Chromebit until you get the Chrombox back, or for an inexpensive "back-up" browser device in general.

I'm still using the Sony GS8, mostly, but I also have the Chromebit hooked-up and use it on a gradual basis to get used to it. The Chromebit recognizes your Google account, etc., which is a great benefit when using a new device. It scrolls well and the system is quite fast, although I haven't used YouTube much at this time.

I use the Logitech k400 keyboard w/a trackpad via the USB dongle inserted in the USB port located at the end of the Chromebit.

I haven't been able to figure out how to properly "copy, cut and paste" with the Chrome OS with this set-up, and the lack of access to Android apps is a problem. Any ideas on this. Thanks.

3. CatfishRivers

Hi I was using the Logitech K400 Plus keyboard with my Acer chromebox. To cut, copy and paste I first move the mouse cursor next to where I want to begin copying. Then while pressing and holding the yellow mouse key (on the top left of keyboard) I move the mouse cursor (with my other hand) over the area I want to copy and it becomes highlighted. After the area is highlighted I press Ctrl + C to copy it. Next to paste it I press Ctrl + V.

As for the android apps on ChromeOS it's been coming along slower than expected. Google probably wants to make sure the android apps are a good user experience on ChromeOS - so they are reluctant to push out the android apps in Chrome OS devices until all of the bugs are worked out. But eventually it will happen.

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks! Using the yellow mouse was about the only thing I didn't try.

One thing about Chrome, is that it's fast; as advertised.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The good news is it died within the warranty period. Have you gotten a return from Acer yet? I would assume that Acer has returned a refurbished Chromebox and if so, you probably won't ever know what went wrong with the first one.

6. CatfishRivers

Hi ChrisG8.

I got my chromebox back from the Acer Repair Center last Thursday. I got it set-up and then it acted really weird & strange for three or four minutes - and then it died again! Same situation as before - there is a white screen with an exclamation mark and the "Chrome OS Is Missing Or Damaged" message. This is freaking unbelievable.

First let me say that according to my Acer repair receipt they replaced the mainboard, shimmed and tested system.. It says the part is: MB Kit CXI2 Intel HD Integrated RTL8111G CG.

Now I'll tell you exactly what happened when I turned it on. It went to what looked like a startup screen but there was a message that I wasn't connected to the internet (I was definitely connected by ethernet) - and it said I could click to browse as a guest. So I tried browsing as a guest for a minute - seemed to work OK. Next I tried to get back to the sign-in page but was unable. So I turned my chromebox off from the power button on front. Turned it back on and got the sign-in screen. But the sign-in was acting wonky and the screen froze and wouldn't let me sign in. So I turned it off and then back on again. I got the sign-in screen again. This time I was able to sign-in. I was able to go to my GMail and my bookmarks were still there! - but I was unable to go to chrome. When I clicked the Chrome icon nothing would happen. Tried several times and then the screen with the "Chrome OS Is Missing Or Damaged" showed up!

I tried turning the chromebox on & off but got the same screen. So I turned it off, unplugged it and then I got the sign-in page again. Tried signing in again and that triggered the "Chrome OS Is Missing Or Damaged"

None of the recovery key sequences on my keyboard trigger any activity or on-screen message at all. The only key that triggers anything is the tab key. So I was able to obtain the error codes. It was strange the first time I pressed the tab key it said the error code was 0x5A (No bootable storage device in system). However after turning it on and off several times now the error code reads: 0x5b (No bootable kernal found on disc). Tried about 10 more times and this is the error message it gives every time now.

I called Acer support and they don't know what to do. So they emailed me a shipping label (they will pay for all shipping this time.) There is only one Acer Repair Center in the USA and it's located in Temple, TX. I shipped my chromebox by FedEx ground (from Florida on Friday) - and the Acer Repair Center is expected to receive my package tomorrow (on Wednesday).

I suspect that the SSD (Solid State Drive) is bad. Apparently the motherboard for my chromebox doesn't come with a new built-in SSD. I think Acer replaced the motherboard and then put the old SSD back on. I'll post another update after I get my chromebox back from Acer.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  7. CatfishRivers

Hi Travel,

Even though my Logitech Revue "died " (after doing a factory reset it doesn't get past step 7 on the set-up process). However I discovered that there is still a way to use the GTV Chrome browser on my Revue. So I've been using that for a backup. No apps work but at least GTV bookmarks still work. I'm not set-up with a router right now (just a modem for ethernet) - so for the time being I've refrained from spending extra money on a Chromebit.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, if you ever have to go to the Chromebit, it should be no problem adjusting to it if you already have experience with the Chromebox.

I like the Chromebit/desktop experience more and more, and just switch "input" from the GS8 and use the Chromebit for those upgraded websites that barely work on the GS8; one more upgrade on my bank, credit cards, etc., sites, and the GS8 won't be working on them at all.

Back-version YouTube, VuDu, Repligo Reader, Printshare and other streaming sources still work well though. When they don't, I'll finally hook-up the Nvidia Shield.

9. CatfishRivers

I got my chromebox back from Acer yesterday and all is working well now. I had a bit of a problem at first getting it to connect to my ethernet. I got an onscreen message that it was connecting to ethernet - but it wouldn't connect. My modem indicated it was connected. I was able to fix that problem by turning my chromebox off - and then when I turned it back on the ethernet was connected.

This time the repair consisted of replacing the SSD board. It's a Kingston SSD. The reference# is KN.16G07.010 Description: SSD Board 016GB SATA 3 NGFF RBU-SNS4151S3/16GD LF+

I really like my chromebox so I hope it will last a while now.

IMO there appears to be quite a few Chrome OS devices that die a premature death with the "Chrome OS Is Missing Or Damaged" message. There is a Chrome OS recovery app designed for these instances - and it's available in the Chrome web store here:

Chromebook Recovery Utility

There are 731, 848 users of this Chrome OS recovery app. I'm not sure how many chromebooks are in use - but 732,000 users seems like a lot to me. The problem is that according to the reviews this recovery app only works for about half of the users. Read the reviews and you will see many one star ratings. Overall it's rated 3 stars out of 5. Of course if the problem is hardware related the recovery process will not work. I'm getting the impression that many of the Chrome OS devices fail due to a cheap Kingston SSD.

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Good to hear your Chromebox is back and working. It does seem that Chromebox hardware issues are a serious problem, at least with some models. My HP Chromebox has been plugged in and connected for 2.5 years but with very little use, it hasn't failed under those circumstances.