Quantcast

Movies Playlist

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chopper, Oct 10, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Movie Trailers - YouTube for You Tube App users! This is a flawless experience with no major playback issues!

Details:

Here is a link to my movie recommendations: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HdOhc8PDuZLdT7 Feel free to use this with the You Tube App to flick through all the trailers until you find something you would like to watch. Now just hit the search button and type in the name of a movie (soon we will all be using voice search for this). Now you can find the lowest priced way to view it. Will it be Netflix, a DVR recording or a Rental tonight?

This playlist has been started so that we can all find great (based on my personal experience) movies recommendations quickly and easily. If you see a movie you like via Google Play, Netflix or any other GTV source please share it here and I will add it to the list (provided I like it too). This way all one has to do is use the You Tube App to flick through a bunch of movies to find something worth shelling out money to watch.

Up arrow with the D-pad once while watching a trailer within the You Tube App and you get a brief write up on the movie. Use the side to side D-pad buttons to flick through all my recommendations to find something that interests you or just lean back an let them play one after another for a while (works only with the You Tube App).

Feel free to recommend movies on this thread. To make my playlist a movie must be good and should have well known actors in it. No B movies please!

I now have this bookmarked and listed as one of my Home Button Apps!

Edit: The Leanback version below no longer works and it is not known if it ever will again.

Here is an experimental Leanback version of the original Movies Playlist for GTV Chrome, PC, Smart Phone and Tablet Users:

http://www.youtube.com/leanback#wat...X-8jAI0cRoBHdOhc8PDuZLdT7&index=0&source=menu

There is a sign up process for 1st time users that is not too complicated and is explained well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chopper I have a question. I'm on the Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) - and I clicked on the first movie from your list (with Chrome browser). I got a message that I needed to update my Flash (and thus it won't work). Are you able to watch this movie currently? Is something not working for me because I'm on the 3.1 update? This movie won't work in my YouTube app either. Here it is:

Well, well -- I just made an interesting discovery! The first time I tried to play the above movie directly from YouTube (with Chrome) - I only got a black screen that said I needed to update my Flash. However after I clicked on the movie from this forum - and then clicked on the bottom where it says "YouTube" - I was taken to YouTube site and the trailer played! And I got no message about updating my Flash. Hmmmmm. Very strange....

I'm thinking that maybe Google is preparing special playback versions of the movies/shows that normally would require Flash 11 - so that they will work on GTV devices without Flash 11. And perhaps somehow by clicking the link they recognize our GTV device? Need time to give this a bit of thought -:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Hmm, this worked a while back but not any longer! I will remove that vid! I am now testing out trailers that end up leading users to the option to rent once played.

The reason for the switch is that some play in the You Tube App while other don't work! I think cat is right about the flash issue. I think some movies are available on a PC that are not available on GTV and this is a huge issue for me going forward that will affect GTV`s survival as a viable platform.

The url has changed for the playlist as the initial one did not work out as well I have rewritten as the entire first post of this thread! Also, not all Movies are available in all countries!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Is anyone able to test this out and provide feedback?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. chopper

chopper Active Member

I think the ultimate way to use this is to use it within the You Tube App and then hit the Search button and enter in the name of movie you watched a trailer for and want to see. Now you will get all kinds of options. Do you want to Rent it , DVR it or watch it on Netflix?

And now for the icing on the cake:

http://tnw.to/e5zU

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Ok there is a trick to get my playlist to load on your Tube App. Just visit the web site I gave you and add it to your bookmarks. Now if you set the You Tube App as the default way you use You Tube on your GTV any time you want to view my Movie Trailers Playlist just use your bookmarks to bring it up. It will now load within your You Tube App.

The first post of this thread has been updated to reflect the current method for using my playlist, enjoy!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chopper

Only problem is that You Tube no longer allows for changing of Default from Chrome back to the App. But thanks for all the work you've been doing. Really a great idea!

Carl

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

I got mine to revert back by either uninstalling the App, rolling it back to the original one, or was it resetting the firmware. Can't remember which one of these did it as I tried them all. But hey, no prob if you like You Tube on Chrome this is still a great way to find recommended content from a movie buff. Glad you like it and find it useful!

9. chopper

chopper Active Member

This is strange: When I bookmark this playlist in with my Apps it launches the Chrome version which then goes to the You Tube App as soon as I hit play all. Yet when I bookmark it in chrome as just part of my bookmarks it launches straight into the You Tube App and plays the first trailer automatically. This may act differently for those who opted to make chrome the default You Tube Player?

Fix: Just select the next vid in a playlist before the current one finishes playing!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

If ya can it is better to design it to You Tube in Chrome. Most folks will need to use the You Tube site for certain videos. Free movie, etc. While I don't doubt someone can find a way to get the unit to default back to the App after selecting Chrome, well... as you stated, you had to try quite a bit to get it to work. But unfortunately shortly the App WILL update itself. Then ya might find yerself stuck w/only one choice to view youtube.

It is better to advise folks to set their default to Chrome for now until we see where Google is going...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  11. chopper

chopper Active Member

It works both with chrome and the You Tube App. I pref. to leave both options open and use it both ways myself. Once you get used to the You Tube App it is great IMHO especially when you subscribe to stuff and it just lets you know automatically when they post new stuff.

So when you visit the link please hit Play All and you should see it working!

Users please visit:

Movie Trailers - YouTube for You Tube App users

For You Tube Via Chrome Users - visit the above link, hit Play All and then bookmark the web page that comes up with the playlist actually working (more feedback required on if this works) once you try visiting the bookmarked page.

But if someone would like to package this within an App and send it for testing to me that would be really cool!

The above link, the bookmarked link for chrome users and the link below would be 3 possible ways to package the App. Not sure what would be best yet.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL8jaLHPuX-8jAI0cRoBHdOhc8PDuZLdT7&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  12. chopper

chopper Active Member

This just works flawlessly via the You Tube App!

But here is the problem I am having running it via You Tube via Chrome so far:

When a trailer plays unless you skip to the next trailer prior to it ending you get glitch that brings up a snowy screen and then the entire playlist is ruined. Any ideas on how to get around this problem? I have tried iframes and no dice as well.

13. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is an attempt at a leanback version:

http://www.youtube.com/leanback#wat...X-8hUQ02HUuzpr5hcnjMVoD26&index=0&source=tray

You may have to follow some onscreen instructions to enable this on a PC where it works flawlessly (try using the down arrows and side to side arrows on your keyboard). This is not working well on my GTV (also follow the onscreen instructions to make this work on your device) same issue as with You Tube in Chrome plays one vid and freezes but it you skip to the next vid before the current one ends your good to go! I am starting to think this is built in to You Tube to prevent users from creating playlist with certain vids so there may not be a fix other than hit next before a vid ends.

The leanback version seems to have excellent related trailer recommendations based on what you have currently playing.

The bottom line: This is just easier to use via the You Tube App. Far less hoops to jump through but this is an excellent alternative for those who can't get my playlist to launch via the You Tube App.

Go back and re-read the first post of this thread for updates how this is currently working out.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  14. chopper

chopper Active Member

Strange things happening with You Tube playlists today. Server updates may be in progress, perhaps some major upgrades comming?

15. chopper

chopper Active Member

Leanback Version:

Try to down arrow to the bottom and then flick through the various trailers selecting those you are interested in watching as you go.

16. chopper

chopper Active Member

Can a Chrome/Leanback user test the links out at the bottom of my trailers to see if it works for initiating a movie rental? Can you also test out whether or not the next trailer will play correctly if you just leave the playlist playing instead of flicking through the vids? Your feedback will help as this is a user experience I am not able to test myself as I am set up with the You Tube App as my default player for most things You Tube as it Rocks!

Another aspect I would like feedback on is can a user hit the Search button and initiate a Movie Rental while this Playlist is running?

It would also be interesting to hear from users of other devices on the user experience running this playlist?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

How do you make a URL/Link into Home button app?

18. chopper

chopper Active Member

If you know how to bookmark then this is easy. Save and select Add to Home screen. Now it will show up on your All Apps drawer. If you want to make it show up on the bottom of your screen when you hit the home button you need to long press on the App you want to replace and select replace and then select the App or Bookmark you would like to put in it's place.

Hope this helps?

• Like Like x 2
  19. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Thanks for the instructions. Will try it tonight.

20. chopper

chopper Active Member

The leanback upgrade has nixed the playablility of that version of my Playlists. The original version works with chrome and the You Tube App just fine.