Quantcast

Movie streaming to NSZ-GS7?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by DigitalKnight, Aug 25, 2013.

1. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

Newbie into this Google TV interface,

I have been using a Tvix player for streaming BD movies from a media server PC that just runs the Tvix Netshare. It works ok for the most part but I thought I would give this Sony Google TV device a shot since Woot had it on-sale and would try and combine my Netflix, HBO-Go, Local Movie library and my TV/DVR all into one box.

Well it looks like HBO-Go is a No-Go but should be fixed soon with the new Jellybean update coming out soon. So I have Netflix setup, and I have the Sony controlling my Moxi DVR for the most part... but I just can not figure out how to get this Sony device to see my media and let me access it?

From some internet research it looks like I have to convert my rips to mkv's or maybe even MP4's for the Sony to then play them using the Plex app and the Plex server that I installed on my Windows 8 PC? I found this 30 day trial program called makemkv which is pretty simple to use and converted 2 of my movies but they just don't seem to show up on the Plex app of the Sony?

Again, I a newbie to this but I am pretty technical so any help in pointing me in the right direction to get this to work would be great.... or should I just wait until the Jellybean update comes out as then there will be a better option???

Thx,
    -DK

2. vhdcinema

vhdcinema New Member

I've only tested Handbrake using Normal settings and the Google Media Player played them back fine from my wireless laptop as a MP4 in DD 5.1 via my Yamaha E800 av set up.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

Thanks for the reply. I did a little more research and it might have to do with the stream and not the container that I putting the BD rips into. From what I have read MKV is just the container and I have make sure the stream in the container is compatible with the Sony Google TV. Looks like I will have to do more research on this....

4. theslydog

theslydog New Member

Try aVia DLNA Media Player free version from google play and load ps3 media server PS3 Media Server onto your pc and it should work fine.

5. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

Thanks for the link slydog... I installed both and now I am able to browse to the files and can see my mkv file and also all the m2ts files from my BD rips but it still will not let me play them back on my NSZ-GS7? I tried all of the transcode options and non seem to work?

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

7. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

Thanks for the reply mrspock.

Below is the list of support video formats by ViMu and for $3 I will give it a try but I am wondering what is the video format of a Bluray rip and it M2TS files and will it play through any of these apps or will the Sony just not play them? Also if I use MakeMKV to convert my Bluray rip to an MKV file, what is the actual video format as the MKV is just a container for the video stream.

Oh and live long and prosper... ;-)

[h=2]Sony Internet Player (NSZ-GS7)[/h]Marvell Armada platform (ARM)
    • AVI/DIVX - Video: MPEG4 ASP, XVid, DivX4/5/6, MJPEG; Audio: MP3, AC3, PCM.
    • MKV - Video: H.264 (inc. Hi10P), MPEG2; Audio: PCM, MP3, AAC, AC3, Vorbis;
    • MP4/M4V - Video: H.264 (inc. Hi10P), MPEG4 ASP; Audio: AAC;
    • 3GPP - Video: H.263, H.264; Audio: AAC, MP3;
    • TS/MTS/MPEGTS/M2T

• Like Like x 2
  8. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

ViMu also will not play my M2TS Bluray rip files or my MKV file I created with MakeMKV using my Bluray rip files.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Here is a list of the codecs supported by each Google TV model.

Video and audio formats - ViMu Player - Your Google TV Media player

If your files should be supported according to that information, give us an example. With the upcoming update to Android 4.2.2, it may be possible to expand codec support beyond each player's native support but we probably won't know much until that update happens, hopefully sometime next month.

10. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

Thank you for the reply,

The files I have are all M2TS direct from Bluray rips. They are basically the Blu-ray Disc ripped to hard drive with no conversion. I did take one of the rips and used MakeMKV to create a MKV file to see if it would play but had same results. I can send you one of the small M2TS files for you to look at... We're do I send it to?

Thanks for the help.

11. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

About 80% of all "can't play my MKV" problems are from an unsupported audio codec (like DTS).

12. DigitalKnight

DigitalKnight New Member

I think you may be correct. I am going to see if I can do another MakeMKV and just select the Dolby digital track and see if it will playback.