Quantcast

Movie Size Incorrectly Displayed

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by skirk08, Nov 11, 2011.

1. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

Just purchased the Sony Google TV Blu-ray player yesterday. Updated to 3.1 and up and running. I have a library full of movies in the MKV container. The majority are all DVD rips (MPEG2 video and AC3 or DTS audio) with no transcoding. Good news is that the device plays everything. Bad news is, all the movies are not properly displayed. I have black bars around all the movies. When I'm in the Sony media player connected to my DLNA server, I have the ability to expand the picture so it fills the entire screen (50" 1080P Plasma). However, that still cuts off part of the picture. I don't like the idea of having to do this, but at least it helps.

I do have some 1080P MKVs (H264, AC3 & DTS), and they do in fact display correctly. I'm assuming this is do to them being the same resolution as the TV. I've used a Popcorn Hour media player for the last four years with no problems. Everything displayed correctly. It seems as though the Sony is not properly reading the 480P MPEG2 stream to fit a 1080P screen. I've tried changing multiple picture/display settings on the Sony, my TV, and AVR with no success.

This has to be happening to someone else. Help!!!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Most likely the problem due to the resolution or aspect that the movie's video frame were originally presented. I've noticed that some of the DVD movies in my library had a 4:3 frame but a shown a 16:9 movie within it. While watching your movie in Sony Media Player press GTV Menu > Display Size > Expanded that should expand most videos properly.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

I was afraid that would be the answer. I've became a Plex user over the last couple months, and was excited to see it come to the Google TV platform with the Honeycomb update. The only problem being that this setting is not available in the Plex app. I'm thinking about encoding all my DVD rips to H264 in a MKV container using Handbrake and the x264 codec. I've never wanted to do this to preserve quality and Popcorn Hour played everything. However, I am low on disk space and don't want to buy more.

Has anyone had any experience doing this with good success with the Sony Media Player?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I used Format Factory to convert all my movies to MP4 video container, H.264/AVC video stream, and AAC audio and all of them play quite well. I recently upgrade to AVS Convertor and now have the option to "fix" aspect ratios of the movies during the conversion that's a plus. I also embed the coverart and movie information as the metadata using Meta-X, and while using TwonkyMedia server it shows up in the folder and grid view. You can see pictures of it here: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...screenshots-sony-internet-tv-3.html#post17017

5. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

Well... I thought I'd post some more findings. The issue seems to lie in the Sony Media Player. An example I found was a 1.85 anamorphic MPEG2 stream stored in a MKV container. The stored resolution for this movie in 720 x 480. However, the display resolution should display as 854 x 480 on the television with small black bars on the top and bottom to accommodate for the 1.85 anamorphic ratio. However, this is not happening.

Several devices prior to the Sony displayed these movies correctly on my TV. So I know it's not the movies themselves. I've tried encoding some movies to H264 with anamorphic encoding, but end up having the same problem. The only resolution I've found is to turn off anamorphic encoding, and change the stored resolution of the movie to something like 854 x 460 while cropping the black bars. This worked well, but I'm not to enthused to encode 200+ movies this way. Plus I've enjoyed having full DVD rips in a MKV container, and able to play them on several devices.

I found all this information in an anamorphic guide on the Handbrake website. However, I can't post this link since this is only my 3rd post.

@eferz I'll check out the programs and servers you suggested. Thanks for your help.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Very odd. I checked some of my movies and all the non-hd frame size are all set to 720x480. Do you have the setting GTV Menu > Display Size > Expanded within Sony Media Player? I believe it defaults to "Full" which on some videos will show up as you've described.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

7. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

Yeah, changing the display size to Expanded did help fill the screen, but it's not ideal. Doing that technically still doesn't display a widescreen movie correctly. For the movies that I've tested, it "zooms" in to much and cuts off the movie on the sides.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ahh, okay. I gotcha. I don't have many movies that don't fill the screen horizontally with the "full" setting. So, I guess that I didn't notice anything being cut off with the movies that I had to use "Expanded".

9. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

Explanation from the official Help Guide...

NORMAL: Zooms the image to fit the screen without cropping. When an image size is smaller than the screen size, the image is displayed at its original size.

FULL: Zooms the image to fit the screen without cropping. (Default)

EXPANDED: Zooms the image to fill the screen. The edge of the image is cropped if the image aspect ratio differs from screen aspect ratio.

Soooo.... what I gather from this explanation is that the FULL setting should be filling the entire screen. Oh well, I'll keep tinkering around and see if I can figure anything else out.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

What confuses me is your movies with the 854 x 480 (16:9) resolution inside of a 720x480 (4:3) frame. It is a very odd resolution since that's much too wide for standard definition television and its much too small for high definition. If you think about it; 16:9 display, Playing 4:3 movie, with 16:9 video stream. Sounds like you're naturally going to get both pillar and letterbox.

11. les anderson

les anderson New Member

For me it is the media player and not the files. When using gtvbox and accessing the files on the nsz-GT1 via an smb drive I get a full display with 5.1 sound. The same file over dlna through the sony media player is letterboxed and chopped with 2ch sound. However, what is most revealing is that if play the same file via DLNA directly on a Sony nx700 TV in a different room I get a full display again.

12. skirk08

skirk08 New Member

Only having the NSZ-GT1 for less than a week, I didn't even know I could access my NAS via SMB. The only option I found was accessing it over DLNA through the Sony Media Player. Where do I find this?

It seems like over DLNA, the media player isn't reading the media info correctly. I don't want to get too technical, but it doesn't seem to be reading the DAR values in the media. But then again, who knows. My head hurts from all this reading. I need to get some sleep...

13. les anderson

les anderson New Member

App is called gtvbox in the market. It is also in the gtvhacker dropbox account. Works great.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Really odd. I'm thinking your issue is that your DLNA server might be transcoding your movies to your Google TV device.

I get full AAC 5.1ch 48kHz audio and edge to edge display with all of my videos through the Sony Media Player. I do get letterbox (1.85:1 and 2.39:1), Pillarbox (4:3), or Full screen (16:9) but that appropriately depends the original video's aspect ratio. Though all my videos are converted because TwonkyMedia Server on my NAS can't transcode due to its low power Marvell 800Mhz processor. That's probably why they appear exactly the same whether through DLNA, SMB, or USB with Sony Media Player, GTVbox Video, and File Expert.

15. les anderson

les anderson New Member

My NAS cannot transcode either due to low power so I know that is not the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here's is an example of the relative video information from MediaInfo in case it helps.

Notice the Display Aspect Ratio is 16:9 despite the 720x408 resolution's aspect ratio is 1.76:1. This particular video gives me edge to edge display on the horizontal and vertical axis of the television using the "Full" display size option of the Sony Media Player.

• Like Like x 2
  17. whammoed

whammoed New Member

What DLNA server are you using? I'm using Nero MediaHome and file is 16:9 720x408 but I get black bars all around in Full mode with the default media player.

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I use TwonkyMedia. However, the media server shouldn't make a difference unless its transcoding. You can always test that by playing the file directly using a USB drive.

19. whammoed

whammoed New Member

Will do, I'll give it a try. USB drive and/or TwonkyMedia.

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

In my opinion its how the movie got converted. Download AVS Converter, and when you convert the video take a look at the Advance > Aspect Correction for your titles that don't appear in full screen. You'll see what I mean.