Quantcast

Movie search and Netflix

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Malachi42, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

I was under the understanding that the Google TV search function would also search Netflix. At least they state as much in their literature. Yet, the results seem rather inconsistent. Most of the time when I search for a movie that I know is available on Netflix it usually doesn't find it. It'll find Amazon VOD but not Netflix.

Sometimes, but only sometimes, it does find the movie on Netflix. For example, I just typed in 2012 and it found '2012: Supernova' on Netflix. Not the movie I was looking for but at least it did find something.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? I was really looking forward to Google search on GTV but it's not of much use if it's unreliable. I want to be able to search for a movie to see if it is avaliable on Netflix before I go rent it from Amazon VOD.

I know I can search Netflix from within the Netflix app but that is less convenient and really defeats the point of having the Google TV search functionality.

2. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

They support Netflix search in the Netflix app (latest software update). But they don't support Netflix search from the Google TV search - but really need to!!!

3. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

That's just it, it does work with Netflix. Just not reliably so.

When they announced the recent software update they explicitly stated that it works with Netflix:

"Say you're searching for a movie like 'Harry Potter'. Google TV now has a movie results page that shows you all films associated with the title so you can quickly watch what you want, wherever it's available -- ranging from sources like live TV, Netflix, and Amazon Video on Demand." -- The Official Google TV Blog

Is it just not ready yet? Like I said, it finds some results but not others.

4. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Agree Malachi42 it's a bit marketing mis-leading. Hopefully they'll add GTV search support for Netlix in a future software release!

5. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

So, assuming GTV will, or is, working on the problem, did anybody notice in the Official Blog Site from Malachi42's link that Amazon is not mentioned??
    Or did I read that differently than some of the others?? [​IMG]