Quantcast

Motorola working on Android-based TV controller?

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Motorola working on Android-based TV controller?

November 6, 2011

[​IMG]

If a leaked image of a box is to be believed, Motorola Mobility is working on a tablet computer that also doubles as a TV controller.

Codenamed Corvair, the 6-inch touch-screen tablet running Android 2.3 is currently in testing with cable companies, according a report by The Verge. The box in the image calls it a "dedicated controller" and shows it wirelessly displaying the same user interface as the TV.
    We don't know much specs-wise, but the box says the design is "optimized for low cost," so we wouldn't expect anything high-end inside. It also looks like it says something "OS" in the upper left, so it seems like a fairly custom version of Android. There's also IR control and RF4CE, which is a ZigBee-based RF control protocol, as well as a high-capacity 4,000mAH battery -- makes sense if you've got to keep this thing on a coffee table for days on end.
    The device could be a big shot in the arm for the TV efforts of Google, which announced a $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility in August. While handset know-how and patents was the primary objective, the acquisition made Google one of the world's biggest set-top box makers and part of the cable industry's distribution chain.

Jeff Greenhouse, a veteran digital strategist and marketer, wrote in a blog post in August that the acquisition held many opportunities for Google, including greater access to the TV ad market.

"Set-top boxes offer Google an opportunity to offer new distribution for video content, enhanced integration with its other services (especially nascent Google+) and potentially expand its ad-serving and optimization empire by partnering more closely with cable companies."
    Oddly, the device carries the same moniker as the 1960s Chevy that was targeted by Ralph Nader's "Unsafe At Any Speed."

SOURCE

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

So how would this "Corvair" tablet tie in to Google TV? Or will it be a totally separate product?

3. vetvito

vetvito New Member

Google TV will be built into cable boxes. Count on it. Everybody thought Google was buying them just for patents and cellphones. People forgot all about Motorola's chunk in the cable set top box market.

It makes since.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, actually Vizio came out with the idea long ago and has recently released their VIZIO 8" Tablet with "Built-in IR blaster with universal remote control app."

Separate product. Though you should be able to send the IR signals to control your respective Google TV if they have the proper IR device profile. Also, don't forget about the Google TV remote apps from Logitech, Sony, and Google that allows you to control them via IP triggers.

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

That was one of the things I was thinking, too. Moto makes several video STB's, has established fabs worldwide, and could create it's own GoogleTV STB as a 'reference device', much like it has done with the Nexus line in Android phones. :)

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

"Nexus" line of Android Phones is Google's yearly pet project. Each year they work closely with a manufacturer to produce a "flagship" device. So, far... only HTC and Samsung have been blessed with this prestige. It certainly would be interesting if in the years to come that Motorola started churning both Nexus and Google TV devices.

I'm still hoping though that Tivo gets into to the Google TV mix. I'd love to see what they can come up with as far as a replacement UI for the Google TV platform. Not to mention, they have a pretty solid DVR system already.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Back when I watched TV, and paid outrageous sum$ to do so (several DirecTiVo's), I was blown away by the TiVo software/implementation...they had succeeded where others had failed, to make the technology nearly an invisible appliance anyone could quickly figure out, adapt and become a 'power-user' in short order. This is still a benchmark, in my book-Google take note! :) Prior, my benchmark was Dishplayer 7100, 7200..so my standards weren't too lofty. :p

Google may have current interests in Moto Mobility, but the other video divisions are now 'just across the hall' and could adapt Android/GTV to STB's and daughterboards for panel makers..fastest path to the ubiquity both companies seek. THEN they need to compete at the Roku pricing levels! LOL! Actually, we may not be so far away from that moment.

8. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I'd love to see the assets that google bought when they acquired Sage TV to be integrated into Google TV.. Mainly the DVR & Place shifting functionality.. Maybe an embedded guide and get rid of the Rovi crap.. I think it's just a matter of time..

9. JerryGPena

JerryGPena New Member

Lol, no it doesn't. Google bought Motorola's mobile division, and Google TV has not yet proven itself to be made a standard. It's probably just a Harmony like control, and hopefully will eventually result in an app for phones and tablets that can be paired with Google TV.

10. vetvito

vetvito New Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  11. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Here: Google Watch - Google TV - Motorola Corvair: The Future Google TV Controller?