Quantcast

MOHU Paper Thin HDTV Antenna

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rickaren, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

MOHU Paper Thin HDTV Antenna

We've been talking about cutting the cord quite a bit lately. One of the primary components required is a TV antenna so you can pick up all the free digital goodness flying through the airways. If you are those lucky enough to live within 30 miles of your TV Transmitters then we have discovered probably the best thing you'll ever plug into your HDTV. Its the paper thin HDTV antenna made by MOHU and it goes for $44 (Buy Now) and its made in the USA.
    The Mohu antenna looks like a lamented piece of paper with cable connected to it.

[​IMG]
    It is designed for indoor use only. If you use it outdoors it will eventually deteriorate.

Specifications:

• Dimensions 9 X 11.5 (inches)
    • Cable Length 6 feet
    • Connector 75 ohm F connector
    • Pattern omnidirectional reception
    Since the HT Guys live about 70 miles away from the TV towers for Los Angeles our tests we performed in Fresno CA. Ara's in-laws live 20 miles from the TV towers which is right in the sweet spot of the antenna's performance range.

Performance
    We placed the antenna high on the wall behind the TV and then we connected the cable to the TVs antenna jack and hit scan.
    [​IMG]
    The scan took about three minutes and found more than 50 digital channels.
    [​IMG]
    It even found 6 analog channels which surprised us.
    According to the MOHU instructions the antenna needs to be positioned with the cable pointing towards the floor. We found that this was the optimal as far as number of channels it could receive. However since Ara's in-laws didn't want the antenna hanging on the wall he simply threw it behind the TV and hoped for the best.
    [​IMG]
    As it turns out, most of the channels still came through. Now Ara can watch football in HD when he visits his family.

Stress Test
    For fun we did try to see if we could pick up any signals from our homes in South Orange County. We didn't have high hopes so we weren't disappointed when we only got one channel and that was from San Diego.

Conclusion
    We have tested plenty of antennas, both indoor and outdoor, in our six years of doing this show. Many have made claims of being the best. Let the HT Guys be the first to tell you that the MOHU Paper Thin Leaf HDTV antenna is THE best indoor antenna we have tested!

Download Episode #489

Posted by The HT Guys, July 28, 2011
    SOURCE

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Humm!! I just wonder if this works in a very rural area in the deep woods in Northern Michigan??

Antennans witha booster on the roof don't do ant good for more than about 35 miles analog, or digital is worse...Maybe 35-40 miles in those cases..

My guess is they don't put hardly any power out in their transmitters in my opinion....

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You can enter your address and a few other details into this antenna web site - and it will give you a detailed listing of the channels you can receive in your location, best type of antenna to use, best way to point the antenna etc: AntennaWeb

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I have used a 100 ft. tower on top of my Ham radio gear for quite some time, with boosters, not hardly any luck with H.D. especially..
    The rotor boxes I have in the house show the exact direction the antenna is facing, doesn't matter what way really it faces...

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Since mid-January I opted for Comcast limited basic cable because it was on special for $10/month (for 12 months) - and thus because I have that TV subscription I am able to get Comcast 'economy' internet for $26.95/mo (as opposed to $41.95 ala carte). My internet speed is only 1.5mbps - but for now it's good enough. I get all the major networks in HD plus some other stuff with my limited basic subscription. I live about 3 miles from the nearest TELCO so I didn't think DSL would work very good for my internet. I can also get Verizon FIOs at my location - so I'll probably subscribe to FIOS eventually. They have an internet only special for $49.99/mo (it's 15mbps download speed). I'm about 50 miles to the television transmitters so I'm not sure how effective an outdoor antenna might be. An indoor antenna doesn't work for me.

6. koopakid08

koopakid08 New Member

Dang, I wish i could get FIOS here...

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk